Sign in to follow this  
LSWGrad05

Is there an Avast Firewall?

First off, I really like Avast. It uses very little resources on my computer and I've seen a huge difference as far as my computer is concerned.

I've had ZoneAlarm Free Edition for a little over a week now and I'm having problems with it. I downloaded a previous version but it seems like more and more people are experiencing. I'm not sure if I were to buy ZoneAlarm Pro, I'd facing the same problems, and I'm not going to spend my money on something I would constantly have to ask for support.

Would there happen to be an Avast Firewall? I'm curious to see if that would conflict my Avast Anti-Virus program.

Thanks!

it's what I put on any PC that I work on, that doesn't already have a firewall that was purchased.

It's what I'm using myself, as well as a hardware firewall(Linksys Router)

Sygate is very similar in it's actions to ZA, only thing putting me off it now is the fact it's discontinued and no longer has any support, so when some bright spark finds a hole in it the doors wide open, Sunbelt Kerio is probably the only other free option worth a mention, >>>Download Here<<< and it will revert to the free version after the trial period if you want to give it a try. :)

Thanks, Juliet.

I think I'm better off just to stick with what I have and buy ZA Pro. I wouldn't want to download a product then if a problem comes up, who can I contact?

The Kerio one I listed gives support, and there is another free one in the above link that will probably help as well (never used that one personally), it's only Sygate that no longer offers support or updates, at least give them a try before paying money, or if you do pay money then I wouldn't go for ZA pro if your having problems with the free version, some peoples systems just don't like ZA, it sounds like yours is one of them unfortunately, but never had a problem personally.

I'm not sure if I downloaded ZoneAlarm Free Edition or a 15 day trial of ZoneAlarm.

How can you tell the difference?

I believe the download is the same, the choice is offered during the set up if you want to use the free version or if you want to try the pro version, if you take the pro option it will install that version for you to try, I tried it once and didn't like it, way to complex trying to access sites I need and use with all it's protection blocking me and I don't have the time to spend going into getting each site to load, but if you still have it installed just launch it and look under the product info tab and it should tell you which you installed there, failing that if you can change the skin it's the pro version, the free version doesn't allow that. ;)

I still have it installed and does your free version have yellow bars on the left-hand side and the top?

I have ZoneAlarm Version 6.1.744.001

Yep Orange is the standard colour for the free version, in the pro version you can change this, but not in the free version, I'm running v6.5.722.000

lol I say orange because it's what ZA calls it :P:lol:

Why download from majorgeeks though ? don't get me wrong it's a great site and has many great downloads but it's not like ZA don't have their own reliable download and it's the first place the latest version would be found when they are released I'd of thought. :shrug:

Oh right, fair enough then, never had a problem with ZA downloads myself which is why I wondered, but yes I can see why you'd do that given your experience then. B)

did you downloaded the latest version? download at majorgeeks.com

Pro has more features than Free. I use Pro

There's a problem with the latest version of ZoneAlarm. I'm not the only one that's having a hard time with the latest version so I went back and installed the 6.1 version.

I'll probably buy ZA Pro one of these days, but I'm not going to buy it if there's a problem with the latest version.

There are two firewalls on AVAST. the fact that they don't call them firewalls doesn't mean that there is no firewall protection.

Please read the definition of the firewall:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Firewall_(networking)

The latest version comes with all-inclusive and comprehensive protection.

FREE avast! antivirus Home Edition includes ANTI-SPYWARE protection, certified by the West Coast Labs Checkmark process, and ANTI-ROOTKIT detection based on the best-in class GMER technology.

It is by far the best at the moment and the professional ratings can confirm that.

virus bulletin, antivirus comparatives, etc.

And you know what? It is free. ;)