Change Mode

pci express bridge too agp?

If I understand correctly, its a chip similar to what Nvidia used to pass the natively PCI-e 6600 to the AGP. Its a bridgechip placed on the card so that it functions in AGP.

In other words, the PCI-e GPU is placed on a AGP board instead of a PCI-e board.

Yeah, this is pretty old.... it is basicaly a PCIE->AGP bridge.... it was used for a little while on the x800's, but once x850 came around, they did away with it, and made a totaly new chip....

PCIE X850 used r480

AGP X850 used r481

Some of the first ones may have used a bridge chip though... not too sure, I had an r481 on my AGP x850xt

6800gs uses a bridge chip. kinda funny on my mobo bios though, then only way to get the card to work is to enalbe "Deep FIFO". it's a setting that lets the agp talk across this bridge.

that's all I've found out about it so far other than i don't need the setting w/ other cards that are native agp.

well all there saying is on there graphic card they have put the chip on it .

don`t go thinking,and this is for those that don`t know or understand

you can`t use either or have to use what your board is setup for .

the pci express graphic cards fits in a special made slot on the newer boards that are out

apg graphic cards fits only fit in there slot sorry but made that way for a reason

and the new pci express card cost a little more and work quite nicely as well.

I seen something a couple of weeks ago that had a two sided graphics card, was an x600 i think, one side agp and one side pci-express, might have been a hoax but i dont really know, was interesting anyway.

the card in question was a consept design im not sure if it was ever produced in great numbers.

there is also a pci-ex1 (small slot, not x16) x1300 made by HIS

i ahve seen quite a few bridging cards poping up but i think all i ahve seen so fare are just consept designs. never see themn for sale...

ok Sorry i left a part out of this not in so much that this is something new

but what there doing is making the cards to act like they can run as well as

your APG /or your PCI EXPRESS 16

in your standard pci slot and so instead of having to buy a true graphic card

incase your rig can`t fit the card type meaning doesn`t havean APG slot on the mother board.

in this caes.time for a new computer :crash:

Archived