Change Mode

my multiplier is locked on my x2 3800

i have an asus A8N-vm, and it easily lets me oc to 2.4ghz, it onl lets it go to an fsb of 240

i was told if i change the multiplier to 9, instead of 10, i can oc a little more

does anyone know hw to unlock the multiplier, or know how to access it, because maybe i am in the wrong part in bios

-thanks

i have an asus A8N-vm, and it easily lets me oc to 2.4ghz, it onl lets it go to an fsb of 240

i was told if i change the multiplier to 9, instead of 10, i can oc a little more

does anyone know hw to unlock the multiplier, or know how to access it, because maybe i am in the wrong part in bios

-thanks

HI el-kido i moved this here cause it'll probably get more feedback in this area

but as far as i know only certain chips allow the multiplier to be raised from stock multi . as most can be lowered

only the FX chips ( that i know of ) have a totaly unlocked multi and can be raised or lowered

what happens when you tyry to go past 240mhz ?

Most likely you should be able to lower your multi. Does you bios have the ability to adjust your multi? It sounds like it might not, since you haven't been able to find it.

Edited by Web Police

HI el-kido i moved this here cause it'll probably get more feedback in this area

but as far as i know only certain chips allow the multiplier to be raised from stock multi . as most can be lowered

only the FX chips ( that i know of ) have a totaly unlocked multi and can be raised or lowered

what happens when you tyry to go past 240mhz ?

thanks for that, ok, the mobo has a imit for only going to 240mhz max, i guess to stay stable, since that is around 1/4 of an increase

my cpu actually ran cooler at 2.4 than it did at 2.0ghz, :huh:

ran stable, i had no issues, i think i went to 237, not 240, but my cpu was already at something like 2.437

i thought by lowering my multi, my fsb wuld have gone up

bt im getting worried here, i dont want to oc any more with a stock fan, you kow what i mean, its too risky

thanks for that, ok, the mobo has a imit for only going to 240mhz max, i guess to stay stable, since that is around 1/4 of an increase

my cpu actually ran cooler at 2.4 than it did at 2.0ghz, :huh:

ran stable, i had no issues, i think i went to 237, not 240, but my cpu was already at something like 2.437

i thought by lowering my multi, my fsb wuld have gone up

bt im getting worried here, i dont want to oc any more with a stock fan, you kow what i mean, its too risky

As far as I understand, the Asus A8N-VM motherboard does not offer multiplier or voltage options.

i haven't done this, but you MAY be able to flash the bios to a different vendor and see if it works.

ask for help from people here before you would attempt that though.

hek no, that sound to risky :nono:

:mrgreen:

i haven't done this, but you MAY be able to flash the bios to a different vendor and see if it works.

ask for help from people here before you would attempt that though.

From a different vendor? I want some of what you just smoked. :P i

• 3 weeks later...

Under no circumstances should you ever flash the bios of your motherboard with a different manufacturers. The only thing that you will have is a dead board.

• 4 weeks later...

WOW, yeh dont flash with anything other then your Mobo's bios. I dont even flash unless Im having issues, have my CFX on CD bios, there are 3-4 new ones, but no need too!

Those x2 3800 chips are madd overclockers, I almost got one over my x2 4400! You need to get a better overclocking board to get the full overclock out of that chip. Also, if you had PC4000 ram that would help you get there. You can put yours on a divider but I would just get the PC4000.

If that is a newer x2 3800, last 2-3 months, it may be a very good chip and you should put it in an DFI nF4 board. it will for sure hit 2800mhz on a DFI, even more with good cooling and ram. You will be amazed at all the overclocking options and yes it will let you past 240 and to lower the multi! With all the new CPU's out, its a good time for buying all the 939 socket parts, DDR, Mobo's and CPU's are all going way down in price.

Good luck and jhave fun!

you CAN do it. done mostly on dell's and the such. flash the bios w/ the manufacturers bios instead of dell's or hp's bios.

it's also done alot w/ video cards to unlock otehr features that may be in the card or to simply trick it into thinking it's another card.

guess i'm just wacked out and drugs or somthing though, my bad

Edited by wdeydwondrer

Alot of OEM versions of the board made by manufacturers lack certain components especially in the power regulatory circuits etc. so flashing with any BIOS other than one from the OEM is like playing Russian Roulette unless you are positive the mobo in the oem PC is the same as the manufacturers commercial version of the board.

Alot of OEM versions of the board made by manufacturers lack certain components especially in the power regulatory circuits etc. so flashing with any BIOS other than one from the OEM is like playing Russian Roulette unless you are positive the mobo in the oem PC is the same as the manufacturers commercial version of the board.

Yep! :yup:

ask for help from people here before you would attempt that though

That's by far the best advice I've heard since being a member of the Pit. Looking for my Abit board to flash it to Biostar bios, wish me luck!

Edited by AthlonGTX