Change Mode

Thermal pad or paste

I'd like some opinions on this topic. I have an AC freezer 64 cooler. It came with a pad pre-attached to the surface so I installed it that way. Newegg put a tube of Arctic Silver 5 in the box (nice of them but I did have a $1,600 order) and can get to only about 38 percent OC befor the CPU temp hits 70C. Would the paste provide better heat xfer?

TIA

Artic Silver will most likely do a better job. You need to completely remove the grease first, I use rubbing alcohol. Then put a thin layer of Artic Silver on and let it burn in for 24 hours or so and see if your temps at idle/load are lower. I am guessing you will see a few degrees F drop.

Some will say the pad on the AC cooler is just as good. Also did you up the Volts? The freezer is good but wont OC forever.

I would try a faster fan on the freezer first.

Use the AS-5 on the chipset cooler.

Edited by markkleb

Some will say the pad on the AC cooler is just as good. Also did you up the Volts? The freezer is good but wont OC forever.

I would try a faster fan on the freezer first.

Use the AS-5 on the chipset cooler.

Oy Veh!

:RANT ON:

DELETED

:RANT OFF:

is arctic silver 5 better than the provided thermal pad provided with the freezer 64 heat sink? A simple question. yes? / No?

Edited by gizmofish

Artic Silver will most likely do a better job. You need to completely remove the grease first, I use rubbing alcohol. Then put a thin layer of Artic Silver on and let it burn in for 24 hours or so and see if your temps at idle/load are lower. I am guessing you will see a few degrees F drop.

THANK YOU FOR FOR YOUR DIRECT ANSWERE.

To Markkleb:

I want to appologize to you in the same public forum in which I lost it and went off on you. :blushing:

You were, and are, just trying to help me and all the others who come here for help.

I've felt badly all day at work and so this is the first thing on my todo list. I truly appreciate all the tips and help I've gotten from you, and others like you, on this site for the last several years. The fact that it was very late (or early depending on you point of view) is no excuse for not being civil.

Again: Please accept this appology to you and to all Pitsters :grouphug:

I noticed you edited your post, and I'll do the same with mine.

Neil

• 2 weeks later...

gizmofish, by now you have probably made your decision. Nevertheless, I will tell you my experience.

The Arctic Silver did a better job for me then the heat pad that came with my heatskink.

I installed an Intel D 940 3.2GHz processor last week. Its temperature measurement with the pad fluctuated beetween 55C at idle and 64C in operation.

After I removed the pad and put Arctic Silver between the Processor and heat sink, temperatures for the D940 ran at 46C at idle and 49C in operation.

Good luck with your choice.

Edited by Maurice Shapiro

gizmofish, by now you have probably made your decision. Nevertheless, I will tell you my experience.

The Arctic Silver did a better job for me then the heat pad that came with my heatskink.

I installed an Intel D 940 3.2GHz processor last week. Its temperature measurement with the pad fluctuated beetween 55C at idle and 64C in operation.

After I removed the pad and put Arctic Silver between the Processor and heat sink, temperatures for the D940 ran at 46C at idle and 49C in operation.

Good luck with your choice.

It went well.

At first I wasn't sure. I cleaned the pad and goo off and put on the Artic Silver. I had read that it needed 24hrs burn in. I assemed this mean to set everything in BIOS to stock and let the comp run at idle for 24hrs. Afterwards my temps were nearly the same as before. I was very disappointed. After about 72hrs the temps dropped about 5º or 6º. I'm now getting 43º at idle and 59º at 100% CPU load running Prime95 torture test. Previously I was getting 47º to 68º. The MB even shut down for overtemp (72º threashold) a couple of times! :yikes: That hasn't happened since. :)

Now I just need a decent MB. I don't know when I'll be able to do that but This AS$Rock MB just stinks.

The manufacturer's spec for burn-in with :filtered: is actually 200 hours. ;)

Important Reminder:

Due to the unique shape and sizes of the particles in Arctic Silver 5's conductive matrix, it will take a up to 200 hours and several thermal cycles to achieve maximum particle to particle thermal conduction and for the heatsink to CPU interface to reach maximum conductivity. (This period will be longer in a system without a fan on the heatsink or with a low speed fan on the heatsink.) On systems measuring actual internal core temperatures via the CPU's internal diode, the measured temperature will often drop 2C to 5C over this "break-in" period. This break-in will occur during the normal use of the computer as long as the computer is turned off from time to time and the interface is allowed to cool to room temperature. Once the break-in is complete, the computer can be left on if desired.

from here:

http://www.arcticsilver.com/:filtered:.htm

i have 2 tubes of AS 5 somewhere and the last time i put this cjhip in i couldnt find it .....

well when i bought my GEIL Ultra X it came with a tube of Gold Paste .... I have to say after using it for several weeks i am not dissapointed in it

still wanna know where my arcticsilver is tho

• 1 month later...

do you mean Arctic Cooling 64 Pro? it is a very good cooler..

I (personally) reccomend Arctic Silver's Ceramique or Alumina

Ceramique: http://www.arcticsilver.com/ceramique.htm

Alumina: http://www.arcticsilver.com/arctic_alumina.htm

Interesting comparison...

The Battle of the Goop

http://www.coollaboratory.com/en/

http://www.performance-pcs.com/catalog/ind...roducts_id=4373