Sign in to follow this  
Neonknight77

Shut down PC faster

Click Start-Run-Type in Regedit, press enter.

Navigate to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE/SYSTEM/CurrentControlSet/Control.

Click on the "Control" Folder.

Select "WaitToKillServiceTimeout"

Right click on it and select Modify.

Set it a value lower than 2000 (Mine is set to 300).

Now your computer should shut down faster.

Isnt that for that little box that comes up asking you to end a program? If it is i find it very usefull incase i have a document open, it gives me time to save it. I am probably wrong though.

No, the End Program comes up if something doesn't want to close. You get that because if you wanna close a txt that's not saved, it asks you so save, or don't save. Understand?

No, the End Program comes up if something doesn't want to close. You get that because if you wanna close a txt that's not saved, it asks you so save, or don't save. Understand?

now stop creating havoc on others neonknight77! you don't know the consequence of your utterly indiscriminate propaganda! not all programs that needss to be "ended" are txt programs! what????java script:emoticon(':blushing:', 'smid_8')

:blushing:

Yes you are right. I was just using an example of a txt because that was what he was getting an end program on atm.

better give a much transparent explanation for the readers to clearly understand the point... than risk them of misunderstanding things that could lead to catastrophic end for their systems stability. didn't you know firsthand that you are asking them to tweak thier registry which is otherwise stable?

Not if you know what your tweaking in registry.

better tell that first to starters neonknight77

I wouldn't post something if it was harmful...

huh!!!! anybody playin god here?java script:emoticon(':snooze:', 'smid_25')

:snooze:

i don't even understand why it is necessary to kill running programs when i shutdown my pc as what you have suggested from the tweak. coz people don't have running programs (except systems) that are running during the time when we decide to shutdown our pc! we would have probably by then closed them neonknight77. hey guys, anyone out there that doesn't close/exit programs before shutting down your pc? java script:emoticon(':shifty:', 'smid_24')

:shifty:

gambling my registry settings to your idea is not worth it.

Meh, you do not understand. Read what this does...

It makes your computer shut down faster. It doesn't close running processes... Turn off your computer. Do you see all the wait when it says logging off and shutting down. Please read the title. Does it say anywhere: Shuts off running processes?

Meh, you do not understand. Read what this does...

It makes your computer shut down faster. It doesn't close running processes... Turn off your computer. Do you see all the wait when it says logging off and shutting down. Please read the title. Does it say anywhere: Shuts off running processes?

beter understand this well neonknight77: http://www.neoseeker.com/Articles/Hardware...nxptweak/4.html

you are not totally doing it right in the whole context... and regarding "waittokillservicetimeout", it is for services!

does it mean to you as "windows"???? nope, that's only a part of the whole picture. and regarding faster shutdown times and startups? it's all there... obviously, quite different from yours!

Edited by mattm3t

waittokillservicetimeout Is the time Windows waits before forcibly terminating an application.

So 200 = 200 milliseconds for a process to finsih what it is doing.

Usually, it doesnt reach the timeout as the process finishes its tasks and kills itself before hand.

A good programmer will take into account that his/her program has this amount of time to close before it is terminated which could lead to loss of data or settings if the program is too slow.

A lower timeout would indeed benefit your shutdown, but only do it if you have a fast computer otherwise most of your processes could be terminated without finishing what they are doing.

Edited by tito

doesnt make sence, my comp shuts down within seconds, and is the shutdown speed that big of a deal

lol

how long can urs possibly take

This is not a good idea. It forces programs to close before their ready so it closes them improperly. Especially if you run something like [email protected] it can make it start using normal cycles or worse lose the WU.

this idea is better applied to the SLOW rate of shutdown for Win95/98/98SE.

if you can figure out how to do so on those OS's it would be greatly appreciated by the users of those systems.

(and NO, clearing the Disable Fast Shutdown option in msconfig->advanced button (if available) does not work either)

Edited by wizardx2

That does the exact same thing with a log!

Edited by tito

Hi, ah, after all that, can someone tell us if this "tweak" is safe. Sounds ok, and not a real lot of frigging around in regedit, but I'd like to be sure. It's the long and involved ones that really freak me out. Thanx guys and Cheers! :adios:

waittokillservicetimeout Is the time Windows waits before forcibly terminating an application.

So 200 = 200 milliseconds for a process to finsih what it is doing.

Usually, it doesnt reach the timeout as the process finishes its tasks and kills itself before hand.

A good programmer will take into account that his/her program has this amount of time to close before it is terminated which could lead to loss of data or settings if the program is too slow.

A lower timeout would indeed benefit your shutdown, but only do it if you have a fast computer otherwise most of your processes could be terminated without finishing what they are doing.

hmm... maybe it will cause windows to become unstable..

my home pc has trouble shutting down. I have a few prgrams that hang up the process the biggest one is the DDE or DEE whatever it is.

I have to end that program to close. Will this mod help?