Change Mode

CCleaner Issues Check

Many people on here use CCleaner to clean junk files from their PC, and so far, has been downloaded over 20 million times. While it may clean the disk from junk, it also has a Registry Cleaner which many people don't use because they're often afraid of crashing their computer or messing Windows up. Have I got a tip for you!

You don't have to fear the registry. What the program would do is just delete the invaild registry entry out of the registry if it points to a deleted file. But this tip should help you out if your machine should start acting weird after running an Issues check from CCleaner.

At the CCleaner main window, select Issues and press the Check for Issues button. After the scan, press Fix selected issues, and a dialog box should appear asking if you want to back up your files. Click on "YES", and then save the backup .reg file into C:\Documents and Settings\(Owner)\My Documents. (Making a "backup folder" is optional but useful if your Documents folder gets cluttered up.

Once saved, then apply the fixes.

You can also opt in to making a ZIP folder to reduce the size of all the backups.

Now for file management. After a month you find that your computer is still running perfectly, you can delete the previous month's backups

hey eclipse,

excellent tip, its a very nice prog, I use it too.

I highly recommend to anybody, it cleans it very nicely actually, try running ad-aware after that, it hardly finds any probs.

5 stars for you bro. :P:)

You don't have to fear the registry. What the program would do is just delete the invaild registry entry out of the registry if it points to a deleted file. But this tip should help you out if your machine should start acting weird after running an Issues check from CCleaner.

At the CCleaner main window, select Issues and press the Check for Issues button. After the scan, press Fix selected issues, and a dialog box should appear asking if you want to back up your files. Click on "YES", and then save the backup .reg file into C:\Documents and Settings\(Owner)\My Documents. (Making a "backup folder" is optional but useful if your Documents folder gets cluttered up.

Yeah that's true. I agree that the .reg files are handy to restore separate changes made (and for importing/exporting programs' configuration settings too), however, for a full registry backup I rather recommend everybody to check out the free and non-setup Erunt program (it has an in-built "restore" option too), while I especially like its sub-program Autoback (a CLI program), contained in the same .zip archive as Erunt. It's very handy to set it to backup registry on/after boots, i.e. I've put it to All Users\Start Menu\Programs\Startup\ directory, so that it backups registry nomather with which account I logon.

And while you are at that site, also check out the Ntregopt program used for "compacting" the registry files. It's a program similar to PageDefrag from Sysinternals (also a non-setup application), although Ntregop optimizes only the registry hives, and doesn't touch pagefile or .evt files at all. Also you need to run it just before booting (so it doesn't run after boot like PageDefrag does); for more details please see the "14.3.2005" entry on my home-site's events1.html page or the SYSTEM "NON-SETUP" PROGRAMS section on page software.html.

P.S. -- By phrase "non-setup" above, I simply mean that the program is contained in a zipped archive and requires no special installation procedure, i.e. you just need to unpack it and it's ready to be executed !!

cheers all, moocher