Change Mode

Roethlisberger breaks jaw, nose in motorcycle crash

t.rex1972

Wears a helmet to protect himself from people running 15 Mph but no helmet to protect himself from cars going 60 Mph.

Of course its a free country and the helmet law was repelled in that state. And anyone is eligible to try to win a Darwin Award.

Edited by Lou

Avid motorcyclist that I am if someone gave me the option of going out on an NFL field without a helmet or getting on a motorcycle without a helmet, I would take my chances with the NFL field. No helmet on a street bike would never even be a thought/consideration for me.

Amazing isn't it, that no NFL player would ever consider going out on the field without his helmet, but thinks nothing of swinging a leg over a motorcycle capable of 180MPH without one.

Stupid is as Stupid does.

A quote from that link:

"He has pointed out Pennsylvania's state law requiring helmets to be worn was repealed in September 2003."

Why on earth would any right minded State do that?

right minded? We're blue :'(.

Anyway, it was extremely stupid of him, and although I love the Steelers and were hoping that they'd do well again this year, he doesn't deserve to play anymore.

A quote from that link:

"He has pointed out Pennsylvania's state law requiring helmets to be worn was repealed in September 2003."

Why on earth would any right minded State do that?

We fought for the abolition of helmet laws in PA for years.

I believe it is a volation of my rghts to require me to wear a helmet. It is a matter of choice.

Avid motorcyclist that I am if someone gave me the option of going out on an NFL field without a helmet or getting on a motorcycle without a helmet, I would take my chances with the NFL field. No helmet on a street bike would never even be a thought/consideration for me.

I think that would be a very bad choice. Have you ever seen the physics studies done on football helmets?

If you go out on the field you are seeking impacts. It will happen for certain, it is no accident.

On the road you aren't running into anything on purpose...it is an accident. It may or may not happen.

http://getwellsoonben.com/

I grew up in the Burgh. I know exactly where this accident happened. Funny nobody is saying how fast he was going...... If I remember correctly...that's a 25MPH zone.....

EDIT: I think I'm wrong about that speed limit. Anyway...Roethlisberger got a speeding ticket last Friday on Banksville Road in Banksville.

Edited by Chopdoc

We fought for the abolition of helmet laws in PA for years.

I believe it is a volation of my rghts to require me to wear a helmet. It is a matter of choice.

funny arguement you make being a doc and all. :P

kinda like doing drugs. you're putting yourself at risk, but it's your choice. i completely agree...seatbelts, too.

Nope. Not like drugs.

It would be like drugs if you were going out and running into things on puropse on a bike.

Edited by Chopdoc

funny arguement you make being a doc and all. :P

I know some find it strange. I don't. But that's me.

The thing is, many misunderstand what I have said.

I have not said to ride without a helmet, I have said it should be a matter of choice. The freedom of choice is the thing. Let those who ride decide. ;)

I never recommend that people ride without a helmet.

The comparison with drugs has been made. I do not believe it is a good comparison. Abusing drugs is harmful. Riding without a helmet is not. Crashing without a helmet may be harmful and carries a great deal of risk. Nobody has ever been harmed from riding without a helmet...only from crashing without a helmet.

But nonetheless, for obvious reasons, I do not recommend that anybody ride without a helmet. I do maintain it is a matter of choice.

Don't much care for the eroding of freedoms in this country by laws that are passed in the name of the common good pressured by politically correct bleeding heart do-gooder groups. The more laws we have requiring that we do things a certain way, the less freedoms we have in a supposedly free country. Let those who ride decide. -kd5-

do minors have to wear helmets? it would make some sense if that were the case. if an adult wants to 'take the risk' then that is on there head...so to speak.

i've never understood the double standard tho'. seatbelts are meant to lessen injury 'just in case of a crash' and preserve life. yet there are laws mandating the use of them in every state. minors excluded, if someone wants to take the risk...let them. it doesn't physically harm anyone else if i get thrown from the vehicle or smash into the steering wheel.

i don't see this as 'freedom stealing', just simply an effort to hold society accountable to self preservation. but again, to each their own. it doesn't harm me physically if someone gets killed on a bike because their brains are on the road and a tree and another car and.....

so kewlness...ride on you free spirits!

If they get in an accident without a helmet (exercising their freedoms you say), I don't want to be the one forking over the money for his disability and medical bills because he dediced to have no protection between his skull and the pavement......or car windshield.

I could care less if somebody decides to wear a helmet or not. It's their brain, not mine. However, when I'd have to pay for their failure to think safely, that's when it becomes a different issue.

As for seatbelts.....

Nobody gets into my car without putting on their seatbelt. If we get in an accident I don't want a 160lb person flying around the interior of the car. If you hit a car and the passengers in that car backseat do not have seatbelts on they are coming through your windshield and into your face. May make for a pretty makeover.

I don't believe it takes a physics degree to picture a person throwing a watermellon at a brick wall at 65mph. Now, replace that watermellon with your skull.

Edited by The Dude

If they get in an accident without a helmet (exercising their freedoms you say), I don't want to be the one forking over the money for his disability and medical bills because he dediced to have no protection between his skull and the pavement......or car windshield.

I could care less if somebody decides to wear a helmet or not. It's their brain, not mine. However, when I'd have to pay for their failure to think safely, that's when it becomes a different issue.

If the accident's not your fault then it's not your problem, not your liability. However, if it is your fault the liability is and should be yours, and so should the hospital bill, regardless of whether or not he/she was wearing a helmet. -kd5-

whats the difference between a seat belt and a helmet?? arent they both saftey devices?

of course no one would ever get hurt if they were not in an accident, but unless you can PROVE that you would NEVER get hurt without these saftey devices. then they should both be law.

do minors have to wear helmets? it would make some sense if that were the case. if an adult wants to 'take the risk' then that is on there head...so to speak.

i've never understood the double standard tho'. seatbelts are meant to lessen injury 'just in case of a crash' and preserve life. yet there are laws mandating the use of them in every state. minors excluded, if someone wants to take the risk...let them. it doesn't physically harm anyone else if i get thrown from the vehicle or smash into the steering wheel.

i don't see this as 'freedom stealing', just simply an effort to hold society accountable to self preservation. but again, to each their own. it doesn't harm me physically if someone gets killed on a bike because their brains are on the road and a tree and another car and.....

so kewlness...ride on you free spirits!

In PA you have to be 21 to go without a helmet.

As for seatbelts....I don;t think they interfere with the enjoyment of driving at all. You don't actually "wear" them either.

whats the difference between a seat belt and a helmet??

You don;t actually "wear" a seat belt.

It would be safer for car drivers to wear six point harnesses and helmets...why don't they? They won't stand for it, that's why.

I am for freedom of choice. I myself always buckle up and wear a helmet. I have no sympathy for those who don't wear them and get injured of killed because of it. I think it is common sense to use the safety devices available. Unfortunately not everyone has common sense. ;)