Sign in to follow this  
The Dude

Pro/against Death Penalty?

the second example only looks at what happen to the woman and child, but not what caused the guy to lose it in the first place kinda blinded with that. and in jail you don't get a cool bed in the summer you sweat like everyone else does, and the beds are not comfortible i know been in jail done that.

Iain - Please provide statistical proof if you have any.

I'm with the Hulk on this one. What about "an eye for an eye"... ?

I defy anyone who has has a family member murdered not to want to pull the switch themselves.

My friend's only daughter was murdered, she would not "pull the switch". That's not to say she has forgiven though.

Nothing can right this wrong, certainly not another death. As long as he isn't free to offend again then that's the best we can hope for.

That's the problem with it. If the murderers don't get the death penalty then they are *sometimes* given the chance for perol, even if they were sentenced to life without a chance of perol. It's possible for them to get an appeal for perol after being in there for enough years.

I defy anyone who has has a family member murdered not to want to pull the switch themselves.

My friend's only daughter was murdered, she would not "pull the switch". That's not to say she has forgiven though.

Nothing can right this wrong, certainly not another death. As long as he isn't free to offend again then that's the best we can hope for.

Jazzy

I can see it from that side as well, but i have a real problem with leaving the person/s walking on this earth when he/she has killed someone in cold blood all for whatever reason or motives. Only that person who kills will know the real reason why they do it, so why should they be left on this earth where they took someone else's life?. Thats what i cant see past, and then when i think of the state of the prisons these days with them being run like holiday camps, then it just makes me more mad that they are allowed to live in the so called luxury of a "Todays Prison".

Keith

Edited by doofus

you lost me on that one keith, for the prison's being a luxury hotel.. maybe the jail and prisons are different as i've only made jail twice in my life :P it wasn't no luxury, like you say it is and how others have said it too.

Edited by mohawkwarrior

It's not about "righting" a wrong. Nothing will bring a murder victim back. Just exterminate the perpetrator like we do with rabid animals, because there is little point in keeping them alive.

Dave..If the woman had killed him in self defense, then no, she wouldn't be considered a killer under any man's law and would not be executed. Had she killed him first, out of anger as he did, then yes....she should be executed. Gender has nothing to do with it.

Ian...my "issues" as you so sensitively labeled them are in fact interjected into the justice system on a daily basis in many forms by many people. You offered no alternative to my solution for each situation. And, I also would like to see some stastics to back up your statement that it never works. Logically, if you have some killers in your midst, and you eliminate them permantly....problem solved.

The Oklahoma City bomber hasn't planted many bombs lately has he?

you lost me on that one keith, for the prison's being a luxury hotel.. maybe the jail and prisons are different as i've only made jail twice in my life :P it wasn't no luxury, like you say it is and how others have said it too.

Well lets just say i know ppl who have been in prison for a long time and they actually told me when they came out that it really wasnt bad in there at all, and that if push comes to shove he would do it again bcus of the way he was treated in prison (ie watching tv, playing pool, meeting up with his mates etc etc). Maybe its a one off who knows, but it sure makes a prison close to where i live seem like a holiday camp rather than a place which used to be known to strike fear into ppl at just the thought of the word.

Keith

well i guess it depends on how long the person was in prison for, and when he made parole some just can't live on the outside, and rather be with who they made friends with on the inside. it's all i can put it as when your in jail it's like a big house, with bars around you and bunch of guys just mind your own, and do your time then your out. it would be like you being at home and having bars, around every opening so you can't go anywhere.

It seems to me that until he struck her with the hammer we wouldn't know it was self defense. Perhaps she asked him to come hang some pictures and thought he would look better with a .45 inch hole between his eyes.

This strikes close to home because a coleague was stalked and threatened and she had considered ways of setting him up so that it looked like self defense.

For it myself.

Keith

Doofus that would be me. Edited by shogan191

I'm wondering what religious beliefs are against Capitol Punishment? Most religions beleive in the death penalty for certain crimes.

Yep, tis true..

Pro.

The average so called "life inprisonment" after many repeals on average lasts 15-20 years. Then that killer is a free man to rome the streets and commit the crime again. If you want to go about killing someone you should suffer the consequences. How is it "barbaric"?? What's barbaric is people mutilating, torturing and raping children, elderly and other people. That's barbaric. We're simply getting rid of the threat and the evilness in that person. Not all life is precious. Is Sadaam's life precious? It's about as precious as the sewage running through the pipes. Same goes for Hitler and all those other nut jobs. Someone murders 6 people in a day for a thrill or pleasure deserves to be rotting instead of walking the streets.

Here's an example of someone getting away with a horrid murder. Pretty much states how I feel.

Edited by amd dude

hmmm......n.y state doesn't have a death penalty as far as i know. and if someone is comming up for parole, they have to go infront, of a panel of people, and tell them why they should be let out in society. most don't get out some do, depends on the crime committed. and another thing what does it cost the state, to put someone to death. it must cost alot or i would think, they would be putting criminals, to death everyday.

New York State still has the death penalty.

I'm just wondering how many of you here have been affected by the crime of murder. A close family friend was brutally murdered recently and there is no doubt that the man who has been charged with this dreadful crime is guilty.

My cousin was murdered, and I show no sympathy towards his killer. If it was in the states we would be a dead man but since we are here in the great white north, he is going to be a free man.

I am absolutely and unequivocably AGAINST the death penalty. Every month it seems you read yet another story about innocent people being released from death row. Also, the stats show that a disproportionate amount of death sentences are given to blacks and other minorities.

If I could trust in the justice (yeah, right) system, and if DNA evidence had to be used to get a conviction, then I would support the death penalty. But the system as it stands is simply far too corrupt to allow it to determine who lives or dies.

And you people saying jail is a picnic are crazy. Any place where you can be forced to bend over and/or toss someone's salad is no place I'd ever want to be.

Iain, any stats yet?

Fair enough and no. I based my position on an accumulation of statements feathered with the targeted reduction of possibilities.

I

Also, the stats show that a disproportionate amount of death sentences are given to blacks and other minorities.

If I could trust in the justice (yeah, right) system, and if DNA evidence had to be used to get a conviction, then I would support the death penalty. But the system as it stands is simply far too corrupt to allow it to determine who lives or dies.

couldnt it be that they commit a disproprtionate amount of the crimes deserving death? Everyone argues that there are to many minorities in jail compared to the population percentage. Well if they are commiting the crimes disproportionately then it makes sense to me.

You state the justice system is corupt.....HOW?

not to mention its very hard to actually get the death penalty now, you pretty much have to be cought red handed.

Guest fragged one

hmmm......n.y state doesn't have a death penalty as far as i know. and if someone is comming up for parole, they have to go infront, of a panel of people, and tell them why they should be let out in society. most don't get out some do, depends on the crime committed. and another thing what does it cost the state, to put someone to death. it must cost alot or i would think, they would be putting criminals, to death everyday.

yeah, it's actually much more expensive to put someone to death, than to give them life in prison. if someone with some fiscal responsibility were running the show, then they would surely fight to have the death penalty abolished.

but alas, congress hasn't shown true fiscal responsibility in a hundred years.

state sanctioned murder is still murder, no matter how you look at it.

No. Murder is defined as the unlawful killing of a person, typically with malicious intent - by Webster's Dictionary. Killing a murderer, especially a real sicko isn't murder in my book.

Guest fragged one

No. Murder is defined as the unlawful killing of a person, typically with malicious intent - by Webster's Dictionary. Killing a murderer, especially a real sicko isn't murder in my book.

by your (webster's) deffenition, it's perfectly fine to kill someone as long as it's not against the law. i just feel killing someone, regardless of reason, is wrong.

not to mention the costs, possibilities of innocence in a non-perfect system, etc...