Sign in to follow this  
The Dude

Pro/against Death Penalty?

The average inmate is out of his cell, to eat three times a day, and for one hour of recreation. Recreation, standing in a courtyard, or watching a TV in the mess hall.

Both my dad and bro work/worked at minimume security prison. They got more then that. And, we as tax payers paid for that.

My brother and I would argue all the time about this. He says shoot them all. But, where he works, he feels he has that right, I suppose. I say the death penalty is justified, if like volt says, there is DNA evidence that proves and/or confession too. I can't see putting someone to death, and then saying "oops guess we were wrong" Look at the Central Park Jogger. Unless it is certain?

In Indiana, Bill Benifiel (spelling I know) they found a vicitim in his attic, she testified to all he did to her plus another girl he killed and it is still in appeals!!?? THen you wonder why? Do they not believe her, when here the cops rescued her. I think it was because the search warrent didn't have her listed!!

Both my dad and bro work/worked at minimume security prison. They got more then that. And, we as tax payers paid for that.

well for every prison or jail that is built, yeah you guys as tax payers will pay it.

Edited by mohawkwarrior

I am against killing in general but am well aware that we are but animals and have killed for many reasons when the need arises. Whether it be nations, neighbors, brothers, or thieves all have tried to justify their need. So I am against it but know all too well it won't stop. Certainly not because of the threat of more of it. :blank:

I am against killing in general but am well aware that we are but animals and have killed for many reasons when the need arises. Whether it be nations, neighbors, brothers, or thieves all have tried to justify their need. So I am against it but know all too well it won't stop. Certainly not because of the threat of more of it. :blank:

Well put!! brutal,,but well done.

I see no moral question in executing those guilty of sickening crimes against innocent people. The only reason I'm a bit reserved in how often I think it should be applied is because some people may be put on death row for a crime they didn't commit, however, there are some cases where it's very clean cut and the person should be exterminated like a rabid dog, because that's what they are. In some cases, I wouldn't mind a bit of torture being used on the sickest murderers to force them to feel something similar as what their victims felt before they are executed.

And Bruce, even though I sometimes disagree, I enjoy your bluntness, and on this issue, I agree with your assessment of the pieces of homo sapien garbage that commit sickening crimes against children, especially.

Nope it's ridding society of scumbags that don't deserve to live.

Think of a garden with all pretty flowers which is the community. Then you have murders who are evil and kill when they get the chance. They are the weeds which can kill the flowers. In order to keep the garden thriving you must pluck the weeds and remove them in order to benefit the community and make it a happier place. I make the weirdest analogies

Or you can spray them with a herbicide, which is much more effective and eliminates the problem much faster :)

herbicide is costly!!!

manually is time consuming, and time can be better spent on other things :)

manually is time consuming, and time can be better spent on other things :)

I'm hell bent on "not" having the state kill an innocent man or woman!! and some have been iffy??

I have no problems with the appeals,,just want the right person!!! :) v

Oh, I thought we were talking about flowers :woot:

anti with a capital A

Unknown fact: Jurisdictions which accept capital punishment have a higher rate of violent crime than those which don't.

I

just curious, but do those states have higher population per capita, that have the death penalty as opposed to those that don't?

As stated before unless you have DNA evidence for a violent crime, ie murder, crimes aganist children, and/or confession from said person, I say no too, I guess you call that fence sitting, huh?

Murder is murder is murder, even executing a killer. The death penalty is a barbaric practice that brings society down to the killers' level.

i think if they are 100% sure, dna, eyewitness proof 100% no ifs ands or buts, they should execute them right then and there, that would put a quick end to all the bs, if they arent 100% sure, life in prision HARD LABOR i mean clean up america lets get out 6am to 5pm digging ditches, planting gardens removing garbage from our highways. It takes some kinda REAL punishment to make the serious offenders THINK before they act. ALLEN

I'm just wondering how many of you here have been affected by the crime of murder. A close family friend was brutally murdered recently and there is no doubt that the man who has been charged with this dreadful crime is guilty. Though I despise him with all my heart I would still not wish for him to die, rather that he lives the rest of his life paying for this deed. :(

I guess it depends on what you want to achieve.

If you're looking for justice, once someone's been murdered, no amount of track will bring them back. From that point of view, there is no justice.

If you're looking for deterrence: Well, it doesn't work very well.

If your looking for vengence, that at least is understandable. But our justice system is specifically predicated on erasing vengence as grounds for action. Either you believe in that system or you don't.

I

For it myself.

I defy anyone who has has a family member murdered not to want to pull the switch themselves.

Keith

PRO 100% - To me, it's simple. If you kill someone in the commission of a crime, you die. If you cripple or maim someone in the commission of a crime, life imprisonment at hard labor, no privileges You took there quality of life away, you sacrifice yours as well. We should remember that prison is different from the county or city jail. County jails usually, at least here in FL, are alot like country clubs. Some just recently took out the cable TV, but only because of cost cutting. These criminals get three meals a day, and don't believe the BS of the food being just slop either. They get a warm bed in the winter and a cool bed in the summer. The people they kill are gone, the people they injure and the families involved, all they get is pain and suffering, albeit mostly emotional.

Two examples:

A hard working man with a wife and four kids takes a part time job in a convenience store to supplement his income. One night while at work, a punk with a gun comes in and demands the money and is given all the cash. Instead of just leaving, he shoots the clerk twice. One shot severs his spinal cord. He lives, but is crippled for life, a quadraplegic. He has no health insurance on his part time job. His other insurance barely covers his medical expenses. His family is ruined, his children have basically lost their father, and definitely a most important part of their childood. The wife has lost her husband as she knows him. The punk is caught, before FL inacted their felony gun law, and is now out of prison. Still a punk with a rap sheet as thick as a phone book. He put this man in hell, a small prison on wheels if you will, and he is walking the street doing whatever he pleases in life. What should happen to him? Life...hard labor, just as he imposed on the innocent family man. I would give him live confined to a wheelchair if the law allowed. Make him get someone to bathe him, shave him, take care of his bathroom needs, etc...the same as his victim.

Second example: A young wife and mother who gets batted around alot and cannot get any help gets a divorce when the father starts also to smack around their 3 yr old daughter. One night while the daughter is visiting granparents, the ex-husband breaks into the house and beats the yound mother to death with a hammer. The little girl is now without a mother and a father. Should he live......HELL NO...he ruined alot of lives, he should sacrifice his own.

These are true examples. The first happened in my family, the second to a very close friend, and very recently. What good to the community of man could it do to let these men off the hook? None. You can quote statistics and jail and prison conditions all you want, it does'nt change what they did. It calls for punishment, and the first rule of discipline is, at any level, "The punishment must fit the crime."

Edited by thehulk18

h,

You seem to have very real issues with your family and friends and I sympathise. Nevertheless, that's no reason to extend them onto the justice system -- Doing so just doesn't work. It's been tried a million times and trust me, it just doesn't work.

I

County jails in Fl. vary widely (as probably in all sates). Murderers are not kept in jail after trial. If convicted and sentenced to more than 365 days they are sentenced to a prison. The prisons them selvesvery considerably. In Florida most are not air conditioned. If the food is so good why do the guards refuse to eat anything except fresh fruit that they wash?

States (and the Feds) determine the custody grade of an inmate based on a number of factors. length of sentence, term served, risk of violence are all considered. I doubt many murders go to medium or minimum custody facilities. Most go to close or maximum. There are more privileges associated with lower custody grades.

I think the problem with confessions and DNA is that these are many exceptions. Confessions are often obtained to protect others, out of fear, or in hopes of a lesser sentence. DNA can be planted, it may be present for unrelated reasons, sample quality may be degraded and unusable. What of people like http://www.debaser.us/content/news/000225.shtml or http://www.cnn.com/2001/US/06/20/children.killed/ Is just served when you kill people for doing what God asks of them?

Hulk I like your second example. If the woman had somehow killed him (the ex-husband) before he killed her then you would suggest she be executed? She would be no less a murderer than he?

I defy anyone who has has a family member murdered not to want to pull the switch themselves.

My friend's only daughter was murdered, she would not "pull the switch". That's not to say she has forgiven though.

Nothing can right this wrong, certainly not another death. As long as he isn't free to offend again then that's the best we can hope for.