Sign in to follow this  
Berrett

Hard Drive problems XP

I have two harddrives and when I reboot XP wont reconize my second one. I have to shut the PC off and then back on for it to show it. I never had this problem when running W98se .

First, :wp:

Ok, 2 hdds. Care to explain how they are set up? One as master, and other as slave? Can you post a test so we can see what you are running. Would help us help you.

I tried to update to the newest video drivers and they kinda crashed it . The originals were installed back when I had 98se installed and XP keeps installing some net work drivers and wont let me install the old ones correctly . I usally get about 205 on the video test score so Im still trying to get it back

Is there anybody that has had a problem with xp not showing second hard drive when you reboot .

The problem drive is a older Quantum 40 gig .

I have set it up as slave and cable select and it dont matter.

I even removed the xp install on it and formatted it as extra storage .

It onlt shows up if I shut down and restart

Here is latest pit test

http://www.pcpitstop.com/techexpress.asp?id=L4KM0WWPE1JSHAAQ

Edited by Berrett

Does the slave show in the bios? Is the master set as master on the end of the cable with slave jumpered correctly on the center hookup on the cable?

When you updated the drivers for the vid card, did you uninstall the old ones first?

The slave will show up in bios on start up but if I reboot it isnt there . I Have my master at the end of the cable and it is set as master on the hard drive .

As for the video card . Yes I installed the ones off the cd that came with it first .then went and upgraded through nvidia's archives by uninstalling first . I had problems with the newest updates but finally found the one that worked best .

Ok, on the vid card, the newest drivers are written to work with DirectX 9, and your card doesn't support it. The best ones I found for my Ti4200 was the 43.09s.

How about device manager for the drive? Does it show there? Do you have another cable you can try?

Edited by dickster

Im running the 81.95 on the vid card . It was the one that got me over 200

The hard drive after rebooting will show in a hidden device manger . When you click properties it shows drivers . I will have to dig up my old cable and give that a try and see if thats it

Also check control panel>administrative tools>computer management>disk management. See what it shows there. Sounds like it's not being given a drive letter. You can manually set one there.

After rebooting It does not even show up anywhere . I will try the other cable after work tomorrow and see if that is where my problem is . Thanks for the help . Will post back

I just got done trying two other cables and still the same result. Its funny cause I never had this problem with windows 98SE with the unofficial updates.

Is there a setting in XP when you reboot you can slow down the start up process.

Seeking the answer to my problem through this thread. My first post!

I've changed IDE ribbons. The HD shows in bios, and device manager but checking properties, no volume or status, "unreadable" !

Maybe the problem was when computer crashed, the 100 gig was formatted as a 33gig?

Help