Favorite distro.....

I would say..*

1. SuSE

2. Scientific Linux

3. Debian

4. Slackware

5. Fedora

* subject to change without notice :mrgreen:

Why? 1-5 can do anything I want to do and I have enough, tho mainly minimal, knowledge of them to learn to do more when/if I choose. #2 is lacking some usual desktop type apps but that's easily fixed.

Honorable mention: (K)Ubuntu, Mepis

Debian Sarge - It has the software versions I prefer, it performs well, installing applications takes seconds, to an extent I know what I'm doing with it.

SuSE

ZoneMinder.........(Mandriva customized)

CentOS

Debian Etch. It may be a testing distro, but it's as stable as anything. Great range of packages, perfect for a server.

~Phil~

1. Slackware Stability and never had any problems getting anything to run....So far that is.

2. Fedora Very easy to use, and yum makes updating and installing packages as easy as a windows box...with more options

3. Debian

For Me:

#1 - Suse - primarily for the System tools in Yast....gotta like an easy to use gui

#2 and #3 - Fedora Core and Ubuntu.....a toss up for me. I like automatrix for Ubuntu and Fedora Frog. The lazy man's way to get a system up to speed for mutimedia, P2P, Wine. I wish someone would write a similar script for Suse.

I've installed several others but couldn't fairly say I've tried them (RH, Mepis, Scientific L, Xandros and a few others). Xandros is really easy to install, package installation is a breeze but overall it kind of sucks. To bad, it's the only Canadian distro I know of.

Xandros is really easy to install, package installation is a breeze but overall it kind of sucks. To bad, it's the only Canadian distro I know of.

Don't despair SR, there are other distros hailing from the Great White North:

Arch Linux

aLinux

OpenBSD

At this point, I'm still a Linux newbie, only switching my primary computer over to Ubuntu on May 20th. So far I like it better than other distros I've played around with, but most of those were liveCD's and not full installs.

<off topic>Every go lobster fishing in the Bay of Fundy?</off topic>

RayG

fav distro = suse :)

main reason = well, its the only linux distro that i have tried. :shrug:

suse = B)

:beer:

BSD is not linux. ;)

I like FreeBSD, NetBSD looks good as well.

Ehhh I don't know about OpenBSD...

I like Mandriva Linux as well.....

the main problem i have with any of the Linux distros is the need to find various drivers.....

I finally got SuSE 10.1 working well, though it is on a seperate harddrive from windows harddrive.....

I like Mandriva Linux as well.....

the main problem i have with any of the Linux distros is the need to find various drivers.....

I finally got SuSE 10.1 working well, though it is on a seperate harddrive from windows harddrive.....

The drivers are usually built in to the kernel, or included with it. All modern distros should share similar drivers.

i installed suse 10.0 on my daughters computer this past weekend. i was concerned with the fact that it connects via a belkin wireless g pci card.

i was pleasently surprised when the install completed and the updater immediately connected thru my d-link router. :)

i think the download/upload speeds are faster then with windows....if thats even possible. :P

:beer:

BSD is not linux. ;)

I knew I should have put a disclaimer alongside the OpenBSD link. :P

Since Arch, aLinux and OpenBSD are all Unix-like distros available from Canada, I saw no harm in lumping them together. My bad. :surrender:

No harm intended, the OpenBSD link was presented for informational purposes only. B)

RayG

I briefly had a lool at xxxBSDs a couple of years ago, also Solaris more recently. Frankly, they may be great for all I know.

But I just punted and said forget it when I saw I was gonna have to learn at least a new disk partitioning/formatting nomenclature for no or modest at best gain.

Not that difficult of course, but at my age, learning new stuff means deleting older stuff I want to keep. The old brain can't hold but so much. :geezer:

To bad, it's the only Canadian distro I know of.

Here's yet another Canuck distro: VectorLinux

I've d/l'd the ISO but haven't taken it for a spin yet.

RayG

i am looking into Mepis and slackware.....

i want to try so many.....

but its so hard to test them out properly when i cant find the drivers for my wireless card.....

i need to find a good wireless bridge.....

Here's yet another Canuck distro: VectorLinux

I've d/l'd the ISO but haven't taken it for a spin yet.

RayG

Have you loooked at VMWare for testing out distros. It's not bad. You can get a 30 day trial of the Workstation. The Player and one of the sever apps is free.

Anyway, thanks for the Vector tip. I'll take a look at it. :)

PS: looking for something to do anyway.....my pc's are running great....I'm getting bored.

Have you loooked at VMWare for testing out distros. It's not bad. You can get a 30 day trial of the Workstation. The Player and one of the sever apps is free.

Anyway, thanks for the Vector tip. I'll take a look at it. :)

PS: looking for something to do anyway.....my pc's are running great....I'm getting bored.

No, haven't tried VMWare, sounds like a plan. I've burned off a bunch of ISOs that I'd like to test out, and one of these days I'm going to get around to installing a DVD-ROM on my system so I can give Suse 10.1 a fair shake. The DVD-ROM I had was kaput, so for the time being I've only got a regular CD-ROM.

At least now I know the DVD-ROM wasn't working because of mechanical failure and not something I had done wrong or a problem with Ubuntu.

RayG

i gave SuSE 10.1 a fair shake.....

i am still on the fence about it.....

it works great sometimes.....very fast with no problems at all.....

then it would freeze up several times in a row.....

i am thinking about booting 10 until 10.1 gets patched or something.....

xXenXx, you probably missed my point, let me rephrase.

[sarcasm towards ill-educated colonials]

Just a helpful hint to the topic starter.

You missed the 'u' in favourite wink.gif

[/sarcasm towards ill-educated colonials]

Get it now ;)