Change Mode

Run Menu

Champion_Munch

The Run Menu is a very powerful 'utility' and is often overlooked. It acts as a launching point for accessing and running applications, documents or directories.

To access it, press Start + R.

From there, you can launch almost anything (which means less mouse use :mrgreen:). For example, you can launch websites from the Run Menu by simply typing in the address (including the http:// part) and pressing enter. You can also use special directory shortcuts like %windir% and %temp% to launch directories.

One more thing you can do is launch programs. To start notepad, type in notepad. To start internet explorer, type in iexplore. To launch MS Word, type in winword.

You can also load webpages using a different browser than the default, as long as you know the filename. Say, if I had Internet Explorer as my default web browser, but I wanted to open up a website in Firefox, I would Start-R my way into the Run Menu, then type in firefox http://www.***.com. This also works for other non web-based files. To open the Hosts file in Windows XP using notepad you could type in notepad %windir%\System32\Drivers\etc\hosts (using the %windir% shortcut instead of C:\Windows\).

Another handy advantage is quick access to control panel and MSC files. To access Add/Remove Programs, for example, you could type appwiz.cpl into the Run Menu to launch it. To access Internet Explorer properties, type in inetcpl.cpl. To access Device Manager, type in devmgmt.msc, and to access Windows Defragmentor type in dfrg.msc.

The list of things you can do with the Run Menu is pretty much endless... experiment with some of your own ideas. It doesn't take long before you become very adept at using it, and it can really speed up the time it takes for you to get tasks done. :)

with regards