Change Mode

Block Websites, IPs, etc...

all4sma

I was telling someone how to do this yesterdau, and though it might come of some use to somebody on here... I know there are others ways of going about this, but this is one does nto require any extra hardware, or software and a lot of people do not know about it. best of all it works for everything on the computer, not just a single web browser like if you were to change the Internet Options in Internet Explorer to block a website then open Firefox and voila! there's ther website...

Anyway, here goes:

1) Go to Start

2) Type: C:\Windows\System32\Drivers\Etc\hosts

3) Press OK

4) A windows will appear asking you which application you would like to open the file with -- Choose Notepad.

Then edit the file as follow: Under where it says the IP Address 127.0.0.1 (Your Computer's internal address) put at least one space then write the url to the website or ip address you'd like to block.

Here's an example.

127.0.0.1	   localhost 
127.0.0.1	   yahoo.com 

This will block access to yahoo.com.

You can also put in ip addresses amd such to block them. :)

Anyway, good luck and happy surfing!

: all4sma :

Edited by all4sma

May I suggest -

Change step 2 to read

(2) notepad %windir%\system32\drivers\etc\hosts

and omit step 4 entirely.

There are three reasons for the changes. In multiboot systems, XP is usually not on the C drive, and is usually not in the Windows folder with Windows 2000 systems upgraded to XP.  The revised command works regardless of which drive Windows is installed on; second, it works regardless of which folder Windows is installed in; and third, eliminates the Open With dialog.

The above command also works with Windows 2000.  Windows 95, 98, and ME users who want to use the "Hosts" tip should substitute

(2) command.com /c notepad %windir%\hosts