Sign in to follow this  
AMDX1325

Official Windows Vistas requirement release by M$

...or your browser and OS choice do not work for their page.....

My browser and operating system comply with industry standards and web standards.

The web page does not. ;)

I have run the few beta out there and it took about 4gigs to install.

You can turn off everything and it looks just like Windows 2000

Well then why not install windows 2000? :lol:

It requires about 500 megs of disk space. :P

i realy love this statement :laughing::laughing:

Yes. Windows Vista is the first Windows operating system with a user experience that adapts to take advantage of the capabilities of the hardware on which it is installed.

I don't know what would take up all that space. I'll check later on tonight on my machine with Vista on it. :blink: I never paid much attention to how much space it takes, I just know that it doesn't run very fast, although I have a beta release.

I have an 80GB hard drive where all my programs are stored and files. This includes documents, pictures, music, and every document I've typed since 9th grade. I have 23.5GB used of the 80GB. An operating system using close to as much disk space just to install is rediculous.

There are plenty of people out there with 20gb, 40gb, and 80gb hard drives. Infact, 80GB is still very common in budget PCs. The average home user is fine on a 40gb drive. Wait until they install vista and realize their hard drive suddenly seemed to shrink. :blink:

I don't really know what comes on Vista, but with every new version of Windows it just gets bigger. DOS 6.22 came on three floppy disks (I still have them but don't know if they still work). I think that Windows 3.11 came on either 5 or 6 floppy disks. When Windows 95 came out, there were some versions that were released on floppy. I think that took somewhere near 30 floppy drives. There was nothing more frustrating than getting to floppy #23 and find out it was bad. Installation had to be aborted. Since then, the OS has been coming out on CDs. I never really paid that much attention since it was all on 1 cd. Now it looks as if it will have to be DVD.

It will be interesting to see exactly why 15 gigs is needed. Is that for a "full" install? If so, which version of Vista? Can the installation be customizable? I know it used to be, but I don't think Windows XP is any more, at least not since I slipped streamed SP2 in it. And, is this really just an OS, or how much is extra software that comes with an OS?

I saw a figure in a magazine article--- reprinted with no identifier--- it was about women and computers---

Back to the article--- 60% of the computers in use today are using W-98 or Mel.Edition-- are Mac's or are Corporate owned.

It seems that people don't give up the machines they bought in the late 90's and early 2k's -- as long as they work for e-mail and word processing-- why bother with new?

I thought the figure was high-- but this was from a womans mag-- and they took a survey about home computers..

I have seen some surveys that put W-XP at 50% alone--- Bah!!

:P:(

I have seen reports (Cnet) of tests on a Pentium duo core processor, with a gig of ram, and they said it barely ran with the aero interface turned on. :fear:

Yes, I have run the beta.

I will write an account of its use.

I first decided to try and boot from the disk, it seems this was not possible so I booted XP and ran the disk from there. It proceeded to format all of "Corrupt or unstable partitions" which mainly seemed to be those of type "reiserFS" (NB: Windows did not tell me they were reiserFS, I discovered it for myself when I tried to boot Linux!)

The install went ok-ish, the install screen alone raped my computers graphical capabilityies!

Anyway I found it to be XP stuffed with eye candy, stripped of what little practicality was left, and teeming with new even more idiot friendly wizards. Eg:

Hello, what is your name? Tito

Hi Tito, Windows would like to assign a friendly name to this computer, may I suggest Tito's computer?

Windows would now like to test your connection to the internet, this may take a while

[5 minutes later]

Windows cannot find a dedicated internet connection, some users receive internet through a networking port, does this apply to you Tito?

[5 minutes on...]

Windows has succesfully applied the chosen updates.

I find the way it refers to me by name all the time really creepy, also the way it managed to download updates before it is released seems a little unnerving, without my consent might I add!

It also managed to get my GPU runnning at 120% to animate the start menu. 15 days on it wiped my harddisk while it was booting due to a "time-limited beta"

Ah well, now for SuSe 10.1

I don't really know what comes on Vista, but with every new version of Windows it just gets bigger. DOS 6.22 came on three floppy disks (I still have them but don't know if they still work). I think that Windows 3.11 came on either 5 or 6 floppy disks. When Windows 95 came out, there were some versions that were released on floppy. I think that took somewhere near 30 floppy drives. There was nothing more frustrating than getting to floppy #23 and find out it was bad. Installation had to be aborted. Since then, the OS has been coming out on CDs. I never really paid that much attention since it was all on 1 cd. Now it looks as if it will have to be DVD.

It will be interesting to see exactly why 15 gigs is needed. Is that for a "full" install? If so, which version of Vista? Can the installation be customizable? I know it used to be, but I don't think Windows XP is any more, at least not since I slipped streamed SP2 in it. And, is this really just an OS, or how much is extra software that comes with an OS?

30 floppy drives, running simulatenously?!?

:rofl2::rofl2:

30 floppy drives, running simulatenously?!?

:rofl2::rofl2:

Not 30 drives, but 30 floppies. And no, they weren't running at the same time. You had to put one in, let it load for a little, the put the second one in...

This was just for the install. Once it installed, it worked like "normal".

My browser and operating system comply with industry standards and web standards.

Internet explorer has 90%+ of the market

it is the industry standard

Don't change the subject...your web browser does not work with that page. That is the truth. :lol:

Chop, I can very easily set up web pages designed to not work in your browser, in fact I can add javascript that will detect your browser, and immediately deny it access, or display a page that will not render properly.

It would not be your browsers fault if I set up such a page. It would be my fault (This is by design). :shifty:

In fact I have made several videos as of late, that meet industry standards, and very few IE/WMP users could view them. That was not my fault as I used latest industry standard mpeg-4 video files. I then tried the industry standard mpeg-2 video format, again very few people could view the files. I had to go all the way down to the very old mpeg-1 format before people could see anything.

When it comes to "standards" MS ain't even attempting to support them, because it does not support their lock em out, so we can lock em in philosophy.

Yes, as you said in your first post.....but Firefox does not.

Standards are great....but sometimes you still need one of these ;

Posted Image

Edited by Chopdoc

Requires 1 gig of ram, 15GB of hard drive space :huh::blink: and a 3D 128mb graphics card. (a minimum of 128MB of memory on it) :thud::surrender:

15 GB minimum required hard drive space? What the hell kind of operating system needs 15 GB of hard drive space just to install?

Gives a whole new meaning, to "Where do you want to go today?"

The answer is to the computer parts store...................

:clap:

works in Epiphany too

Firefox seems to be the only browser that has issues (i've noticed a few others) with flash