Sign in to follow this  
spasticman

Quickly changing between windows... VERY HANDY!

Just a rather handy tip...

If you have multiple windows,

holding down alt, and then tapping down tab, will bring up a list of all the windows you currently have open. in a small box in the center of your screen. Holding onto alt, and tapping tab, will select a window. Releasing the alt button will quickly change to the highlighted screen.

Quickly holding alt, and tapping tab, and then releasing alt quickly, will instantly change to the next current window.

This is very handy if you have problems with your mouse, or you just want to quickly change between windows.

Also handy if your playing games, when you should be working, and your boss comes in. :shifty:

Easy as alt tab alt!

Edited by spasticman

Just a rather handy tip...

If you have multiple windows,

holding down alt, and then tapping down tab, will bring up a list of all the windows you currently have open. in a small box in the center of your screen. Holding onto alt, and tapping tab, will select a window. Releasing the alt button will quickly change to the highlighted screen.

Quickly holding alt, and tapping tab, and then releasing alt quickly, will instantly change to the next current window.

This is very handy if you have problems with your mouse, or you just want to quickly change between windows.

Also handy if your playing games, when you should be working, and your boss comes in. :shifty:

Easy as alt tab alt!

:mrsgreen: Seems pointless to me because all your windows are still showing in the Task Bar anyway! And I find that it 's quicker and easier just to click on the window you want to open from the Task Bar than to use this alt + tab method, which I think is quite fiddly.

You can also use Alt + Esc, which will switch between maximised windows (and you don't get the annoying chioce menu pop up in the middle of the screen either). As mentioned in the other thread, Start + D will let you minimise everything, which is handy if you're playing a game that won't let you Alt + Tab outta there. :)

with regards

I use Alt+Tab Very regularly. Matter of fact, I used it to switch to this window. :)

As for the person that said that going down to the taskbar is just as fast? I dunno about that. Maybe if all you do is browse around with the mouse and don't know the layout of your keyboard, sure, but IMO it's MUCH faster to use Alt-tab... Especially when you're not using the mouse.

This comes in handy when you're doing something like web dev... switching back and forth between the CSS, HTML, etc...

Anyway -- Good tip.

Alt-Tabbing is one of the best things i've ever discovered :rolleyes: , I don't use my mouse for much anymore, I find everything much quicker with my hands on the 'board, I also tab through links on the web, scroll with the arrow keys etc. I only use the mouse in games, and occasionally for large sets of files/busy web pages, when I'd have to tab or navigate through a lot of things to get to what I want. You know. Once you're used to it though, it speeds everything up. Good tip anyway, as has been said.

alt tab is GREAT when dealing w/ 2 websites, or a site and an IM. very usefull when you aren't actually using your mouse, but typing.