Change Mode

"30 Capacitors. Regular P4 has less, I don't recall the exact #. A 30 cap 3.0 will overclock higher and more stably than a regular 3.0. Supposedly (I don't have a source) the 30 caps were Gallatin EE chips that couldn't cut it as EE's, so they were binned as 3.0 Northwoods."

An old quote from IntelGuy

"30 Capacitors. Regular P4 has less, I don't recall the exact #. A 30 cap 3.0 will overclock higher and more stably than a regular 3.0. Supposedly (I don't have a source) the 30 caps were Gallatin EE chips that couldn't cut it as EE's, so they were binned as 3.0 Northwoods."

An old quote from IntelGuy

thanks for the help brandon ,after some research i have found that my processor does have 30 caps.

After a few Google searches i have found the only major difference is my northwood dosent have L3 cache like the EE but it has been good to me so far for overclocking. Not bad for a $130 investment.

The Northwoods are a far better design than the Prescott. They would have made much better dual core chips than Prescott if they were made on the 90nm process.

Is that why I OC'd my 3.4 HT Prescott 800mhz? ;)

I can get my 3.8 prescott to 4.4, scores better on the pitt test. My 3.4ee gallatin I've clocked to 3.85, thats it. Now I didn't push the ee as hard since I don't want to kill it, but I'm sure there is not much more there. That being said, I use my 3.4ee since it multitasks much better with the l3 cache. Digital conversion, FPS, much better. Overall a stronger chip.

Here's a pretty cool site (I know, Tom's Hardware :yucky: ) that someone posted here before: http://www23.tomshardware.com/cpu.html?mod...t=69&model2=212

Edited by Pentium Extreme

Is that why I OC'd my 3.4 HT Prescott 800mhz? ;)

Is that why it dissipates 130 watts of heat stock? Nah, couldn't be...

I know Prescott has a few design advantages over Northwood, like slower cache L2 cache, alot more pipeline stages making it clock-for-clock slower than a Northwood, and its has a high TDP.

I will give it one thing though: It has a better branch predictor, SSE3, and a number of other features that allow it to pull ahead at higher clockspeeds than Northwood.

I'll still take an X2, or equivalent AMD offering over Netburst anyday. In a couple years when they have Conroe processors that are cheaper than $200, I'll gladly upgrade, but until then, my A64 is keepin me afloat.

Edited by brandon

Well you're never gonna get all that for under 200 unless you get a sempron... Besides, you're gonna need all those for AM2 aswell.

I know, I'm just talking about the processor. AM2, I don't even think I will upgrade to it. DDR2 has high latency on a memory subsystem that craves low latency, and DDR2-800 right now is expensive & not mass produced.

I'll wait until AMDs answer to Core Duo 2 if I don't upgrade to Core Duo 2. That is like the dumbest name ever. I miss the names that almost sounded cool, like Athlon or Pentium. Core Duo sounds like something Richard Simmons would dream up.

I want a Core Duo 2, because it performs very well, and has the possibility of being within my budget in the near future. Don't get me wrong, I'd go with AMD before I go with Intel, but what InHell has right now is too tempting.

Plus, I've always wanted a dual core processor, and either way it's gonna be a big upgrade from my 754 rig.

ill take a conroe lols :lol:

hell linux will utilize its full potential :wub:

wile you guys are too buisy cleaning i will be having some fun :laughing:

Hate to be the bearer of bad news Duanester, but you're right! :P

I'll be enjoying computing as it was meant to be, reliable & fun.

No, I don't have an antivirus and I don't regularly scan for spyware... my system is a clean as a whistle.

junk , viri etc. get scared off by the performance.

Edited by bigchrome