Change Mode

Microsoft to mark illegal copies

"PIRATED software users be warned. Microsoft Corp is going to start “nagging” Windows users who do not have a legitimate copy of its operating system."

TechCentral

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Members here have already been posting problems with the Microsoft "you do not own your computer we do" messages in the U2U forum a week or two ago.

Edited by Bruce

Members here have already been posting problems with the Microsoft "you do not own your computer we do" messages in the U2U forum a week or two ago.

Sorry Bruce, feel free to delete this topic then. :)

You misunderstand me karl. I wasn't saying it doesn't belong or should be removed, I was just simply commenting that folks are already reporting the issue.

I think it is a great heads up, and certainly deserves mentioning here, in U2U, but mostly in the spyware and virus forum section, as anything that is so intrusive, violating a persons privacy and invading personal property is a virus of the worse kind, and I am sure it is in the form of a "root kit" so that it can not be easily removed.

Edited by Bruce

Yep and then then the first time you try to get security updates, yoiu get the root kit back again.

Shame because this won't change pirating, it will just mean millions of people will choose to run insecure computers making the internet an even worse place for the rest of us.

Microsoft isn't doing anyone favors by infecting computers this way.

"The only way to stop the messages from appearing is to replace the OS with a genuine copy, available from any of Microsoft's authorised dealers in the country."

There was a hack for it when they started this thing, and there will be a hack for it again.

Yep and then then the first time you try to get security updates, yoiu get the root kit back again.

Shame because this won't change pirating, it will just mean millions of people will choose to run insecure computers making the internet an even worse place for the rest of us.

Microsoft isn't doing anyone favors by infecting computers this way.

Surely if people are running a legitimate copy then they have nothing to fear or worry about ?

I don`t think there is much wrong with a company who provides updates, from scanning and once seeing that a pc is running a illegal version of it`s software, from taking action and adding a warning every so often about it.

It`s the responsible way to let people know who may not even realise that they are running illegal windows versions and a nag warning will sure get them on the phone to any unscrupilous pc builders who may have put a pirated version on a computer without the buyer knowing ?

If you rob a car, the alarm goes off .. Stealing a car is illegal ..

Surely this is the same??? ..

What's the fuss .. It's having something you haven't paid for moan at you .. Like an alarm does ..

Simple : Don't be a thieving scumbag .. It's all fine then

I don't think that is the issue.

The issue is a EULA that gives you no legal control over your own computer, gives you no remedy or solution for malfunctioning of said software, and gives all rights of control, and all remedies to Microsoft in the event that anyone does anything that they disapprove of.

The EULA Microsoft forces users to agree to was and still remains my biggest reason for no longer using their operating system, and their software.

It is a matter of privacy, and having control of the software I use, and not allowing anyone, or any company to control what I do, and especially never granting any software maker the ability to install anything, or disable anything at their will.

Now if others are comfy with such an agreement, then I say to them YOU ARE NUTS.

Before you comment on that, let me pose a question to you.

Would you install a piece of software or application on your computer that said it could at any time install anything it wanted on your computer, and that any time it could disable your computer, or that it could disable use of files, or playback of certain meida files on your computer, and could delete such files if it wanted. And if you don't agree then you can't use the software.

Would you install an application that wanted that much control, and gave you no control to stop them?

If you rob a car, the alarm goes off .. Stealing a car is illegal ..

Surely this is the same??? ..

What's the fuss .. It's having something you haven't paid for moan at you .. Like an alarm does ..

Not even close to being the same thing.

If you paid for the car, then you can take parts of trhat car and add them to any other car you have. :rolleyes:

Would you agree to let Mini Cooper disable the engine in your car if you took a piece of trim off of it and put it on another Mini Cooper? :lol:

If would agree to that then you are NUTS.

You give Microsoft that very power when you agree to their EULA.

Edited by Bruce

I don't think that is the issue.

The issue is a EULA that gives you no legal control over your own computer, gives you no remedy or solution for malfunctioning of said software, and gives all rights of control, and all remedies to Microsoft in the event that anyone does anything that they disapprove of.

The EULA Microsoft forces users to agree to was and still remains my biggest reason for no longer using their operating system, and their software.

It is a matter of privacy, and having control of the software I use, and not allowing anyone, or any company to control what I do, and especially never granting any software maker the ability to install anything, or disable anything at their will.

Now if others are comfy with such an agreement, then I say to them YOU ARE NUTS.

Before you comment on that, let me pose a question to you.

Would you install a piece of software or application on your computer that said it could at any time install anything it wanted on your computer, and that any time it could disable your computer, or that it could disable use of files, or playback of certain meida files on your computer, and could delete such files if it wanted. And if you don't agree then you can't use the software.

Would you install an application that wanted that much control, and gave you no control to stop them?

Of course not .. But that's way out of proportion .. Why would a computer business do that, when it has already safeguarded a market for selling this type of thing? .. All they can do is make more money ..

Another example of being screwed by businesses: If you own a car, you have to pay Tax and Insurance to use that car legally .. If you don't, you cant have that car ..

But you paid for that car .. It still doesn't mean you own it .. It's a never ending cycle of countless examples ..

Looked to me like you could avoid it by just not downloading it--by using the Custom tab instead of Auto install. We'll see how long that lasts.

Who auto installs anyway? Just the computer not savey, and they have a legit copy anyway is my guess.

Like someone said: there will be a hack.

We know Bruce is right also, but, hey, it is easier to go with the grain.

:P

Of course it's wrong for microsoft to protect their intellectual rights :rolleyes:

What intellectual rights....they steal from anyone they can.

I dought there is any part of any MS OS that was solely developed by

any of Bill Gates peons.

Of course it's wrong for microsoft to protect their intellectual rights :rolleyes:

No it isn't wrong to protect their intellectual rights.

It is NUTS to agree to let them invade your privacy and allow them to install anything at any time, and wrong to let them control your computer.

They wrote an insane license agreement, the funny thing is the insane people who consent to it. :lol:

I would never allow someone to have that much control or any control over my personal property (my computer), so I choose not to be a member of the funny farm. :P

I think every software maker has a right to protect their intelecutal property if they choose to.

But when they behave poorly in the process, then it is nothing more then behaving like virus, trojan, root kit.

Funny how much contraversy there was about Sony installing root kits, but when MS does it, everyone defends them :lol:

There coming to take you away hahahehehohum

Automatic updates + the no activation patch for the win!

At least that's what I do with my friend's pirated version of XP. I love sticking it to Microsoft, and that's exactly why I use quality open source software. :)

Edited by brandon

Of course not .. But that's way out of proportion .. Why would a computer business do that, when it has already safeguarded a market for selling this type of thing? .. All they can do is make more money ..

Another example of being screwed by businesses: If you own a car, you have to pay Tax and Insurance to use that car legally .. If you don't, you cant have that car ..

But you paid for that car .. It still doesn't mean you own it .. It's a never ending cycle of countless examples ..

You pay a tax to maintain the public roads you use when you drive the car. You pay insurance in case you harm or damage someone else or their property in the event of an accident.

In a similar way, I pay for my internet connection, so I can travel on the internet. I don't plan on hitting anyone over the head with my computer, or throwing it out on the street and causing injury to someone so I don't need to pay liabilty insurance on it. :lol:

Edited by Bruce

No it isn't wrong to protect their intellectual rights.

It is NUTS to agree to let them invade your privacy and allow them to install anything at any time, and wrong to let them control your computer.

They wrote an insane license agreement, the funny thing is the insane people who consent to it. :lol:

I would never allow someone to have that much control or any control over my personal property (my computer), so I choose not to be a member of the funny farm. :P

I think every software maker has a right to protect their intelecutal property if they choose to.

But when they behave poorly in the process, then it is nothing more then behaving like virus, trojan, root kit.

Funny how much contraversy there was about Sony installing root kits, but when MS does it, everyone defends them :lol:

There coming to take you away hahahehehohum

Agreed. People only use windows because they're used to it, programs they like are on it, etc.. not because they like the operating system itself.