Change Mode

finding the right raid card for my system

I'm thinking about getting a good raid card to put in this system, I just need someones advise on which raid card I need, like do I need a sata, Ide card or what, I know my drive is a sata drive, not pci express, and also do I have to get a matching harddrive or what? If one of you guys could give me a link from newegg on a very good card that will work for my system would be much appreciated :)

My link http://www.pcpitstop.com/techexpress.asp?id=RSL00WW0CPCSP7YQ

There is only one name in RAID/SCSI and that is Adaptec. Here is their least expensive add-in SATA Card which I think is a true hardware RAID controller:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?...N82E16816103008

You can find a software SATA RAID controller card much cheaper, but if you mean business go Adaptec.

Yes, use SATA by all means. You do not need two identical drives but it is strongly recommended. I put together an inexpensive rig for my home and I use two mismatched 80 gig SATA drives (a WD and a Seagate) but the size is the same and the specs are the same (cache, spin speed, etc.). If you use two mismatched sizes the array will be double the smaller drive. Since my rig has no mission critical data on it I use pure RAID-0 (striping) for speed but if you have important data it is risky since if either drive goes bad you lose everything. You can use RAID-1 (mirroring) for redundancy and some esoteric combinations like RAID-5 which gives you striping for speed and redundancy, too. But then you need more than 2 drives to make it work.

Yeah sorry that one is pci-x. Here is a good old pci 2 port Adaptec card. This is a software RAID card (kind of like the difference between a real modem and a WinModem) but is cheaper and will do the trick for you. It is bootable and can be used to do a bootable RAID-0 array. Setting it up is not child's play but if you follow the instructions that come with it no problem.

http://www.intolan.com/Adaptec_1210SA_SATA...ptec-1210sa.htm

Edited by Hwattys

There is only one name in RAID/SCSI and that is Adaptec. Here is their least expensive add-in SATA Card which I think is a true hardware RAID controller:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?...N82E16816103008

You can find a software SATA RAID controller card much cheaper, but if you mean business go Adaptec.

Yes, use SATA by all means. You do not need two identical drives but it is strongly recommended. I put together an inexpensive rig for my home and I use two mismatched 80 gig SATA drives (a WD and a Seagate) but the size is the same and the specs are the same (cache, spin speed, etc.). If you use two mismatched sizes the array will be double the smaller drive. Since my rig has no mission critical data on it I use pure RAID-0 (striping) for speed but if you have important data it is risky since if either drive goes bad you lose everything. You can use RAID-1 (mirroring) for redundancy and some esoteric combinations like RAID-5 which gives you striping for speed and redundancy, too. But then you need more than 2 drives to make it work.

From reading the specs, that is just a SATA2 Hard Drive Card. No where does it mention RAID. :huh:

chicagobearsfan, do a little reading on raid first before you choose what you want. Here is a tutorial on RAID I made some time ago: http://www.xcso.com/raid.htm

Some good PCI RAID Cards are: Promise, Highpoint, Intel, VIA...ect

X_C

From reading the specs, that is just a SATA2 Hard Drive Card. No where does it mention RAID. :huh:

chicagobearsfan, do a little reading on raid first before you choose what you want. Here is a tutorial on RAID I made some time ago: http://www.xcso.com/raid.htm

Some good PCI RAID Cards are: Promise, Highpoint, Intel, VIA...ect

X_C

It says RAID all over it doesn't it? Anyway the real issue with that one is that it is PCI-X and I suggested another one.

Dude, he's got a Dell! :P

I've had a few Dell MOBOs not recognize a PCI RAID card, something to do with the custom BIOS :pullhair:

Your new suggestion is a good RAID card. :beer:

Edited by X_C

ohh, dont mean to hijack your thread, its just that linux doesnt take too kindly to onboard/fake raid, it kinda gives an insulting warning :adios:

Your O/S Insults you :rofl2: Nice! :laughing:

Never tried installing RAID using linux :huh:

its a pain in the :filtered: if you dont know what you are doing, software raid requires manual setup and it is tricky because the odds of it even booting is slim to none, but properly configured your in buisness, my setup now is twin maxtor sata's in raid0 @ 64k stripe, its blazing fast.......

with hardware its a breeze :rolleyes:

Edited by duanester

I am not the RAID wizard but I have set up a few arrays. RAID on Linux is what separates the wannabes from the Linux geeks. Hardware does make it easier and is the best RAID there is. An Adaptec hardware RAID card is the only thing a corporate IT guy who wants to keep his job would use to set up a storage array in a server without native SATA support (above criticism) but if all you are doing is building a gaming rig then by all means use one of the other ones mentioned. In my humble opinion there is Adaptec and then there is everybody else. The Dell motherboard is potentially an issue and you might want to go to the Dell Support Forum and ask if anybody else has tried an add-in SATA RAID card in your model system.