Sign in to follow this  
channel 6

Is this a good set up?

whats your HTT set at miggs? no reason 2.7 shouldnt be stable on your 165 opty

right, I seen that, but what is your HTT set for in your BIOS? mine go from 1000 to 800 to 600 to 400 to 200

I know DFI call HTT something different, and they might number it like 5x 4x 3x 2x or something like that.

Im not good at explaining, like revivalist is, but the total number of your HTT should be 1000, some boards can go over, some cant. Im sure DFI can go over, but if you never dropped your HTT, and just bumped up the bus on the processor, that could cause some instability, try dropping your HTT to 800, and see how that goes in benching

I cant find the thread but revivalist expains it well.

revivalsit where are ya :P

here miggs i found revivalists quote:

Your entire system runs off of a base clock that comes stock at 200MHz. On a A64 chip, that SHOULD be called the "HTT" speed (short for hyper-transport technology). It SHOULD NOT be called "FSB" (front side bus) because that is a different older technology (initiated by Intel when the north bridge was used to control the memory clock). The only reason the HTT ends up being called FSB is because motherboard makers don't want to confuse people with new terminology. But they really only end up making matters worse . . .

Anyhow, so the HTT (often mislabled "FSB") is multiplied by the CPU multiplier to give you your CPU speed. . . . So 200MHz x 9 = 1.80GHz in the case of your Opty 144. . .

Now is the confusing part . . . . There's another clock speed that is related to how the CPU communicates with the video card and other peripheral items. This clock speeds gets lots of different names as well. Some call it HT (just "hyper-transport"), some call it HTF ("hyper-transport frequency"), and others like DFI call it LDT ("lightening data transfer") . . . Leave it to DFI to give it the flashy name. . . . Personally, the worse name I think it can be called is HTT because that's the same thing we call the base clock which I described above. . . . I think your board calls it the "HT link" because that's what ASUS likes to call it.) . . . So lets call it the "HT link"

Now the HT link is determined by multiplying the the HTT (or "FSB" as ASUS calls it) by the HT mutlipier. That multiplier is usually 5x. So you get 200MHz x 5 = 1000MHz . . . That's the one that can cause instability if it goes well over 1000. . . So hopefully your board has a place where you can adjust it down to 4x or 3x . . . It might end up a good bit below 1000 (like maybe 800-950), but like lec said, the perfomance increase on your CPU will more than make up for it. . . .

*Catches breath* . . . . Ok, well, I really hope you're not more confused now than before your read this

here is a link to the post

http://pcpitstop.invisionzone.com/index.php?showtopic=114998

hope that helps

Edited by Kenny3

oh yes it does for sure. but i already knew lol. :P

kenny i know for nforce3 it was 1000, not sure for nforce4.

I got no clue lol.

But thanks :)

nforce 3 is 800 (ddr is 2 X 800 =1600)

nforce4 is 1000(ddr is 2 X 1000 =2000)

You shouldnt go over the 1000 but its ok to go under like 900.

Dfi mobo has 4x,5x,6x and so on.

If Miggs is HTT is 300 than it needs to be 3X (make sure it dosent say AUTO)

Also try the memory at 2T

nforce 3 is 800 (ddr is 2 X 800 =1600)

nforce4 is 1000(ddr is 2 X 1000 =2000)

You shouldnt go over the 1000 but its ok to go under like 900.

Dfi mobo has 4x,5x,6x and so on.

If Miggs is HTT is 300 than it needs to be 3X (make sure it dosent say AUTO)

Also try the memory at 2T

good idea, actually it was at 300 x 9 (multi). and the htt was 3x. Man where were you when I was seeking help lol :P , did you just remember that I was lost lol :lol: .

Thanks alot man. :hug::)