Sign in to follow this  
channel 6

Is this a good set up?

I have been looking around and planning for months and finally settled on a system which compromises power and price just right for me. It's the first major gaming rig I've built so I'd love to hear what you think. Will these components work well together and do I need to worry about heat (more than this system will cope with already)?

4 x Western Digital WD2500KS Caviar SE 250GB 7200RPM SATA2/300 16MB Cache IN RAID 0+1

Thermaltake VA3000SWA Tsunami Silver Aluminium Mid-Tower Case With Side Window - No PSU

Abit Fatal1ty AN8 SLi SKT939 NF4

AMD Athlon 64 X2 4400+ socket 939 Dual Core 2.2Ghz 1Mb and 1Mb Cache

Hiper 580W Type-R Modular PSU - Blue

Gigabyte Geforce 7900GTX 512MB DDR3 Dual DVI ROHS Ready

2 x Sony DWG-120ASV 16x16x8x DVDRW/RAM Silver

Infineon 1024MB DDR 266 PC2100 CL2 64x4 ECC RAM

Any suggestions, criticisms or recommendations gratefully received :adios:

Edited by channel 6

looks pretty good.

How well you know that power supply?? good reviews?

Noticed your RAM ECC DDR266???thats older ram, and is ECC ram compatable with your mobo? I say that cause more and more I find motherboard more picky about what RAM they use.

I would at least get yourself some DDR400 from the likes of OCZ, Mushkin, Geil etc

The 939 offerings don't support ECC. ECC is slower than similar speed non-ECC RAM too. Get some DDR400.

I actually hadn't given that much thought cos I have lots or RAM lying around. It seems the Abit mobo doesn't like ECC so, as per crucial's suggestion, I'll go for this:

2Gb Kit (2x1Gb) DDR PC3200 CL=3 UNBUFFERED NON-ECC DDR400 2.6V 128Meg x 64

Also, what do you guys think about cooling? Should I get a better CPU cooler than the standard one and is water cooling worth the money?

Edited by channel 6

If you are building this yourself, and this will be a first build, I'd stick to getting it running with stock bits first.

Then branch out with the extra modifications..

2 x Sony DWG-120ASV 16x16x8x DVDRW/RAM Silver

Why 2 drives. I have NEVER needed 2 drives. Any copying is more reliable from the drive to the pc then "on the fly" IMO.

Why 2 drives. I have NEVER needed 2 drives. Any copying is more reliable from the drive to the pc then "on the fly" IMO.

I do video editing in my job and I am almost constantly burning disks. Having to wait for one to finish before I can access another is frustrating to say the least. This is partly why I want a dual core processor

I actually hadn't given that much thought cos I have lots or RAM lying around. It seems the Abit mobo doesn't like ECC so, as per crucial's suggestion, I'll go for this:

2Gb Kit (2x1Gb) DDR PC3200 CL=3 UNBUFFERED NON-ECC DDR400 2.6V 128Meg x 64

Also, what do you guys think about cooling? Should I get a better CPU cooler than the standard one and is water cooling worth the money?

Just a couple thoughts....

For the memory I would go with something with either lower timings, or something that overclocks....

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?...N82E16820231032

or

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?...N82E16820227219

For a cooler, you will be fine if you don't overclock..... and if you plan on overclocking, you have to concider that there are some really good air solutions, such as the Zalman 7000C......or the 7700C...

There is also the XP-90, which people have had much success with.

And then there are some people who prefer to go with the more quiet, and more efficient water cooling aproach.

It depends on how low you want your temps, and also how high you want to overclock. And of course, most importantly, how much you want to spend :mrgreen:

I only intend to o/c the chip by about 200mhz but I understand these chips run fairly cool anyway. Do you think the original heatsink/fan will cope with that ok?

I only intend to o/c the chip by about 200mhz but I understand these chips run fairly cool anyway. Do you think the original heatsink/fan will cope with that ok?

absolutely :)

I'm thinking I might go for the DFI LANPARTY nF4 SLI-DR SKT939 motherboard instead as I've read that it's very stable and has some powerful BIOS overclocking features

Also, what is Windows XP x64 like, I understand there are some compatability issues but are they major enough for me to just stick to the 32 bit version

Edited by channel 6

I'm thinking I might go for the DFI LANPARTY nF4 SLI-DR SKT939 motherboard instead as I've read that it's very stable and has some powerful BIOS overclocking features

Also, what is Windows XP x64 like, I understand there are some compatability issues but are they major enough for me to just stick to the 32 bit version

gr8 choice, I think you should just switch to XP 32 bit, I see no reason to go with X64, yes unless your willing to take the hassle of 64 bit drivers and everything.

Secondly, I think u'll be fine with yout stock cooler, I believe u'll get the new heatpipe cooler, coz' ur getting the dual core processor.

Lastly, I don't know if everybody will agree with me, since I don't have so much knowledge in video editing, one thing is why not get an opteron, isn't that extra cache gonna help. And get faster dvd rw drives, probably plextor or so, but as I said not much knowledge.

But good luck on that build, oh yeah, one more thing, sorry, since ur only OCing a little you don't need Water cooling, and I will second on this, very good point.

If you are building this yourself, and this will be a first build, I'd stick to getting it running with stock bits first.

Then branch out with the extra modifications..

Good luck though

Thanks for all the advice and good wishes :hug:

I'll probably be back on here for advice when I :filtered: the whole thing up :blushing:

yeah lol, you will be welcomed lol. :lol:

I will personally come and :hug: you lol.

but don't :filtered: anything up yet lol, you want to wait for am2, then screw it up :P:blushing:

Windows x64 pretty much has full driver support now. I don't know of any companies that don't atleast have a beta 64 bit driver out for their products.

It is a bit snappier than the regular XP, and the virtual memory is handled at twice the data rate, but other than I don't know of any differences from 32 bit.

Windows x64 pretty much has full driver support now. I don't know of any companies that don't atleast have a beta 64 bit driver out for their products.

It is a bit snappier than the regular XP, and the virtual memory is handled at twice the data rate, but other than I don't know of any differences from 32 bit.

ooh shush lol, I'm talking to a person who uses X64 :thud: oh no.

LOL. But yes, agent is the best person to ask that question.

Hey Agent, how are you, no hard feeling right :lol:

kidding. :hug:

I agree 64 is better. Besides its free (for 6mos) thanks to microsoft.I use it and there is no problem with games or drivers.

I definately would not get your first choice of mobo. DFI and MSI and Asus are much better.

ECC memory is for servers, use a good DDR 400 thats a Cas2

I agree 64 is better. Besides its free (for 6mos) thanks to microsoft.I use it and there is no problem with games or drivers.

I definately would not get your first choice of mobo. DFI and MSI and Asus are much better.

ECC memory is for servers, use a good DDR 400 thats a Cas2

2 votes for X64 ver. Ok, agreed, I stamp it lol :P:banana::rocks:

And I also agree on the memory choice. Gr8, if you want something cheap, might as well go for some Kingston memory.

Well I have downloaded the trial XP 64 so once I have the machine running I'll give it a go.

Thanks for all your advice guys. I knew it'd be helpful and it was

Lastly, I don't know if everybody will agree with me, since I don't have so much knowledge in video editing, one thing is why not get an opteron, isn't that extra cache gonna help.

um, Miggs hes getting a 4400+ which has the same L2 as an Opty 165. Come on wake up :lol:

um, Miggs hes getting a 4400+ which has the same L2 as an Opty 165. Come on wake up :lol:

I Think miggs was mostly looking at the price difference between the two chips, the last time i checked the 4400 was about 100$ more and doesnt oc as well and runs alot hotter than the 165 opty. :P And id rely more on a server processor for long term stability over a x2 4400 :shifty:

I Think miggs was mostly looking at the price difference between the two chips, the last time i checked the 4400 was about 100$ more and doesnt oc as well and runs alot hotter than the 165 opty. :P And id rely more on a server processor for long term stability over a x2 4400 :shifty:

thanks syncial, true enough, opteron's were designed for servers. But Opty 165 will OC less than 4400+, according to me.

heya aaarron, i'm awake, what r u asleep lol. what you gonna bug me all the time now lol :P , go away lol, :lol: . j/k

the opty will not oc less by any means. The opterons are better binned cpu's, i have a 144 single core opteron 1.8ghz, runs 2.8 on the stock heatsink.

The x2 heatsinks are junk, the opterons will come with a good heatsink, you wont need to buy a new one to hit 2.5-2.8, some have gotten 3ghz on stock air with the 165.

The choice is yours, there is no reason to pay more for the x2 tho

the opty will not oc less by any means. The opterons are better binned cpu's, i have a 144 single core opteron 1.8ghz, runs 2.8 on the stock heatsink.

The x2 heatsinks are junk, the opterons will come with a good heatsink, you wont need to buy a new one to hit 2.5-2.8, some have gotten 3ghz on stock air with the 165.

The choice is yours, there is no reason to pay more for the x2 tho

yeah I'm running at 2.7 now, but its not stable. And temps on air are too hot. And anybody and everybody I talked to told me that 3ghz is possible, but never stable. My friend runs vapo and his 3 is still not stable.