Sign in to follow this  
csrussell3

PCPitstop Erase Errors

HI

Just encountered the same issue some others have had with PC Pitstop Erase.

The scan gets up to Windows Recent Used Documents then just crashes...

(I have recently installed IE7b2)

Anyway.... Get the.. PC Pitstop Erase Cleaner Tool has encountered a problem and needs to close. We are sorry for the inconvenience box

Don't really want to get a refund as I like this and its been working ok up till now, can anyone suggest what's wrong or how to fix?

Many thanks

Craig

:wp:

I have asked our software engineer to take a look at the text you posted and see what he can find. Thank you for taking the time to post it. That is most helpful.

In the meantime, you could try an uninstall/reinstall. Go to Start>Programs>PC Pitstop>Erase>uninstall PC Pitstop Erase and uninstall the program. Then got to C:\Program Files\PC Pitstop\Erase and delete the entire Erase folder. Then open the registry editor Start>Run>regedit and navigate to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\PC Pitstop\Erase and delete the entire Erase key as well.

Now download a new copy of Erase from here: http://pcpitstop.com/store/service.asp

and reinstall.

Please let us know if that helps.

Hi

Unfortunately the uninstall-reinstall didn't work....

One thing though, don't know if this has much relevance....

I also used to use IE Privacy Keeper with IE6, however have stopped using it since upgrading to IE7, as a number of things that should used to be cleared were not being done with the new version of IE.

The main one of thing not being done was Form Data, although IE Privacy Keeper thought it had cleared everything, the info was still there!!

One of IE7's features is a new browsing history delete section within Tools>General.

Is it possible that the folder or area Erase is looking for when scanning for the Recent Docs has a different name/location in IE7 to what Erase expects (under older IE versions) and is crashing as a result?

The following link explains a bit about the new IE7 if it helps

http://www.microsoft.com/presspass/newsroom/winxp/IE7XPSP2FS.mspx

Whatever help/info I can provide to help identify the issue, please let me know....

Is it possible that the folder or area Erase is looking for when scanning for the Recent Docs has a different name/location in IE7 to what Erase expects (under older IE versions) and is crashing as a result?

That is a distinct possibility. Thank you for using your time to provide us with so much valuable information.

Sorry to say that our software engineer will be absent for about a week and will not be able to address this until then. I will beat the bushes and see if I can find anyone else to take a look in the meantime.

If you're interested, there is another thing you can try. Uninstall again, but before reinstalling, first go to C:\Program Files\PC Pitstop\Erase and delete the Erase folder. (if you do not have Optimize installed, you can delete the entire PC Pitstop folder.) Then go to Start>Run> type regedit and navigate to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\PCPitstop\Erase and delete the Erase key (or, as above, the entire PC Pitstop key.) Then reinstall and see if there is any difference.

Guest Guest

HI

Just encountered the same issue some others have had with PC Pitstop Erase.

The scan gets up to Windows Recent Used Documents then just crashes...

(I have recently installed IE7b2)

Anyway.... Get the.. PC Pitstop Erase Cleaner Tool has encountered a problem and needs to close. We are sorry for the inconvenience box

Don't really want to get a refund as I like this and its been working ok up till now, can anyone suggest what's wrong or how to fix?

Many thanks

Craig

graxias

Sony Vaio desktop, approx 3 years old, the HD was replaced last August. My questions (2) concern Pitstop erase. What does the second checkbox option 'only delete cookie on the bad cookies list that PC Pitstop keep'. What the devil does this mean.??Question: The program displays my grey list . How do I go about erasing the gray list? The gray list remains there, do matter how many times I have run PC Erase. I wil appreciate any help at all. Thanks

:wp:

What you are seeing when you click the Gray list button is not a list of what was found on your computer. That is found on the third 'scanning' page. The Gray list that you are seeing is the reference list maintained by PC Pitstop and used by Erase to compare what it found on your computer. If you select the 'Only delete cookies on the bad cookie list maintained by PC Pitstop' that is how the program knows what cookies to erase and which ones to keep.

The 'download' button will update the Gray list if new items are added.

You can edit the existing list by going to My Computer>C:\>Program Files>PC Pitstop>Erase>Files> and double-clicking on web_blacklist.txt to open it in Notepad. Once you are done, be sure to click File>Save.