Change Mode

A solution for IE's security flaws

http://www.mozilla.com/firefox/

Download, use, and rid yourself of all of IE's flaws

While Firefox can help make surfing the net a more secure experience (from spyware, for example), it is not without its own flaws.

Secunia keeps track of advisories for all the major browsers and Firefox is well represented. The two most recent 'weaknesses' for example, remain unpatched (though both are rated not critical).

No matter what browser is being used, it's imperative you keep it updated/patched.

RayG

Good advice. But, the 1st step to solving a problem is uninstalling it, cursing at it, throwing fecal matter at it, and never looking back at it again.

While I have succeeded in 'locking down' IE to the point where it's useless, I've not successfully uninistalled it.

IE reminds me of this icon :thud: 'cause no matter how hard you :crash: or :hammer: or punch

away at it :boxing: it always seems to get back on its feet. (must admit, I've not tried the fecal matter approach though)

However, it IS possible to put it to sleep :snooze: if you put a magic spell on it :sparkle:

B)

RayG

yes it is.

actually brandon, bud ur post was funny too lol

Good advice. But, the 1st step to solving a problem is uninstalling it, cursing at it, throwing fecal matter at it, and never looking back at it again.

hahaha :P

Well that is a bit of overkill Jackel. A Firefox, Mozilla, Opera, or SeaMonkey would do to end IE security issues.

However I will say it is still great advise, and I have always been a big fan of overkill. :geezer:

nLite will uninstall IE. i've not actually done it myself so i don't know if windows update will try to get you to re-install it, but it probably would so you'd have to disable automatic updates to keep it from being re-installed every time, lol

nLite will uninstall IE. i've not actually done it myself so i don't know if windows update will try to get you to re-install it, but it probably would so you'd have to disable automatic updates to keep it from being re-installed every time, lol

Haven't tried the nLite approach so can't say if it works or not. I have tried uninstalling IE in the past, but it was like throwing a determined drunk outta the house, he just kept showing up at the door. :beer:

I found the better solution was to lead the drunk to the basement, say buh-bye :adios: and lock him up down there. I haven't heard from him since. :clap:

RayG

I managed to uninstall IE properly. I got one of the new "EU free market approved" copies; M$ was in alot of trouble a while back over having IE "built-in" as opposed to "bundled with" Windows XP. I think all of new the ones over here contain no uninsstallable software. Did the same happen in the USA?

http://www.mozilla.com/firefox/

Download, use, and rid yourself of all of IE's flaws

For those sites where you must use Internet Explorer, or if it your preferred browser, you can use Sandbox IE to run Internet Explorer in an isolated environment.

Sandbox IE creates a temporary storage area in which to run IE or other programs. Although programs running in the sandbox can read data from the hard disk, all data which is written remains in the sandbox. This prevents programs, malicious or otherwise and however acquired, from making changes to the system, and thereby offers protection against threats which arrive via security holes in IE, Windows, and application programs.

. . . lead the drunk to the basement, say buh-bye :adios: and lock him up down there. I haven't heard from him since. :clap:

RayG

That approach certainly meshes well with your avatar! :rofl2:

no, ms can still sell windows the same as always.

nlite though http://www.nliteos.com/ will remove any program of MS that you want out of windows, and has a feature that will allow you to select what you DO want installed with windows, and all the settings, so you can do a customized, un-attended installation of windows.

i would be using it, but i haven't need'd to install windows lately.