My Connection Speed Has Cut In Half Lately

Guest tgrenda

Guest tgrenda

Hello, first post! I use dial up and have Windows 98, I have a Conexant softK56 modem, I used to connect at about 52K, and I'm now down to 26K. I know it's not my phone line, I can hook up a laptop and get good connection speed. Any advice? I don't know where to start to find out my problem. Any ideas? Thanks alot!!!

Contact the people who make your modem or go to their website, enter your modem model number or type and search for updated drivers. Sometimes Windows 98 will lose the drivers for the modem, leaving you running on basic windows drivers, which are usually terrible.

If you have a drivers disk for your modem, try updating your drivers by boing to the device manager, click on "modem" and choose "Update Driver" and have it do a search for the drivers on your CD or 3.5 floppy, which ever you have. If should locate them. If it doesn't you may have to get someone who knows how to remove your modem and drivers from the system and reinstall them. CAUTION!!!!

If you are not familiar with installing or reinstalling the modem or drivers, get someone who is to help you. Windows 98 can be very contrary and may give you problems when trying this. You may want to consider updating your system to Windows XP Professional if your system if compatable. Most likely the drivers you need will be contained within XP and it will do it for you.

As puremagix said Windows 98 can be contrary. I bought a replacement once, could not get it to work after countless tries and readjustments , took it out to return it, then on a whim, tried it again. It worked!..... did nothing different...

Edited by lucubration