Change Mode

For All Bored Problem Solvers... Xp Pro Backup ?

JimD

I have 2 hd's, for simplicity of this question, forget the partitions. Basically my Drive #1 is for all system info and data (multiple partitions), Drive #2 is only used to for backup files.

Unlike previous MS backup programs, XP-Pro's backup program is quite reboust (Home is very limited, can't do all that Pro's can). The Pro backup utility can do a "system state backup", including the recovery floppy and all. This is to use when booting up to the Win CD calls the "repair or restore" option, telling you to insert the floppy, if that's what you want to do.

From what I can figure out, it formats the drive and restores minimum Windows files so you can get the system up and then restore everything from the rest of your backup files.

OK, after the long intro, here's my question: My "dilemma" is, if my backup files are on my 2nd drive (and the system state backup should know this), will this recovery procedure partition and format only drive #1, or both drives?

If it partitions and formats both drives, then bye bye backup file and oops... all is lost! Has anyone out there tried this yet? Or read a good article on it anywhere (I can't find anything on it)?

I might just be inclined to back up my whole system to CD's again and then try this, just to find out what it will really do. I have all my "mission critical" files (financials, purchased downloaded programs etc) and a C drive image backed up to CD's and kept "off-site" for fire/theft protection. But I rely on backing up drive #1 to drive #2 for ease of recovery in the event of an equipment failure or when I mess up things and need to restore some files(I'm my own worst enemy :blink: )

Edited by JimD

Are you sure? Looking at the files created on the floppy disk it has partition and format commands and looks to me like it will partition and format the drives based on the "system state" at the time of the backup... that's what I'm going by, and being confused by it :bang:

JimD, I have an interesting problem with WINXP PRO I wish someone would tell me the answer.

I have to reformat and reinstall the OS quite often and wonder why I can't just make a complete installation disk from the up-to-date OS on my hard drive? That way I wouldn't have to start at the beginning all over again when I install and then update with SP1 and all the patches. In fact, I think M$ should have to occasionally send to all registered owners an up-to-date disk with all the improvements on it so we don't have to go through all the patching! Just my opinion! :mrgreen:

Rev-Roy.

Rev,

There is a method called slipstreaming that will alow you to create a Windows CD and have SP1 included in it. It isn't a two click process, but it can be done. A quick google search for slipstreaming SP1 should get the correct info.

thats pretty complicated.

i've never backed up my entire system. i backup all the important files that i need to keep because if something goes wrong i like to do a format and a clean install and just restore the files i backup on cds

If you don't have the XP Recovery Console installed, you may find it handy:

http://www.win2000mag.net/Articles/Index.c...ArticleID=27303

As far as backup goes, I like to do an image backup every month to a separate physical drive using Drive Image (Ghost, etc.), then do a daily backup of files. I use a script I wrote myself, but a program like RoboCopy works well too.

Thanks all... some interesting reading on the link Jack.

Rev, what I would suggest... I keep my C partition small (10-12gb) and install only WindowsXP Pro and programs on it. I keep all data on other partitions.

Then to do what you are asking to do, when you have the clean install and all the updates, and all your "standard" programs installed, make an Image backup of the C drive.

Then when you get to the point of feeling you need to do a "clean install", simply boot up to the XP cd repair console and format C.

Then, with the proper image backup software, you can either boot to it on a CD or a floppy and proceed to restore the C drive image. I have NTI Backup Now! and use it to make backups to multiple cd's. My C drive image takes 5-6 CD's, and a couple of hours to make the backup or restore it. BUT with this image backup I can restore my C drive back to the "pristine clean install" that includes all the service packs and programs "pre-installed" when the restore is done. You only have to update to whatever new patches are out since the image, and you don't have to sit there and reinstall all your software.

I was looking at the WinXP Backup utility and it can basically do the same thing with a file written to another hard disk, but I'm not sure it won't try to overwrite the 2nd hard disk also in that "system state" restore. If the WinXP Backup program would burn to CD's it would be perfect.

NTI Backup Now! does that to CD, and I have used it, and done a complete image restore to C with it when I bought a new Hard Disk. I did it that way rather than use WD's copy utility mainly to prove that it did work and would do what I was looking for. After finishing the image restore, I just simply rebooted and Windows came right up, no problems at all. It was perfect.

i run xp and use ghost to backup,have partitioned h/drive with just xp on c,trouble is every time you install something new it makes changes to registry,using repair option loads new set of windows files {did with me} so none of my programs would work,using ghost it creates an inage of the whole drive so if you backup image say once a week and disaster strikes,you can restore your whole drive even to the point of formatting and restoring,hey presto drive restored with everything working.

Right now I'm doing something like some others but with a little twist. I've got a new 80G drive which in the first partition, 20Gs, I'm putting XP Pro and all the programs I'll be using, can add more in the future. I'm going to use this drive as my "clean" drive and only do copies and or image it to another drive or two. Using PM it will be hidden until needed.

It takes too long to install all the things that I end up with and I can use a drive lets say strictly for Photoshop and another for say DVDs, MP3s, then only install the main app. after doing a "back up" install.

Sounds good anyway. :blink:

BE WELL

Whew! Thanks JimD.....I do believe I'll have to have some snow time to digest and implement your suggestions but they are good. Thanks for the heads up on my question!

Hey and thanks Bruce! How is the little one? In my avatar you can see what I did during Christmas!

Edited by Rev-Roy