Change Mode

I hate Adobe Acrobat Reader

DK64_MASTER

I have a good, speedy computer (1.8 GHz Pentium M) with 768 RAM, so I shouldn't have that many problems with pdfs. My gripe is that using Acrobat Reader 7.0, the memory usage can be pretty hefty for small pdfs. I used to use v6.0, and that was even worse. On older computers, I install nothing except v5.0.

So someone on Anandtech forums mentioned a new type of pdf reader. It is called foxit.

http://www.foxitsoftware.com/

Has anyone else tried it. It's miles ahead of Acrobat in terms of speed and memory issues, and it's all in a self contained exe that's really small (no more than 5 megs). On the other hand Adobe is huge (>50 megs).

Is this software too good to be true? Can people check it out?

If it turns out to be all that it's cracked up to be, I'm finally uninstalling Acrobat :).

I'm posting this message, not for advertising reasons, but just to give everyone who's ever hated Acrobat a superior alternative.

Foxit stuffs Adobe. Copy/paste still drives me nuts but it's way faster.

Adobe is for jorks.

Then again, so is pdf. :)

I'm with moon on pdf...but...

I run foxit and like it fine.

KPDF

Fastest rendering engine I have ever seen for pdf files. :tup:

Yeah, I use that on my university's unix machines sometimes. Have you tried foxit?

Personally, I'm impressed with it's file size and memory management.

moon and volt, have you ever had trouble with opening a pdf using foxit? Being a college student, most of my assignments are available online in pdf form. It's handy to have such a portable pdf reader, but I want to make sure that it wont give me more trouble than I bargained for.

I'm this close to uninstalling Acrobat Reader. I would just like more input :).

Edited by DK64_MASTER

I've been using it for several months. Let me tell you this: it opens in in instant, not after 5 freaking minutes like Acrobat Reader :rolleyes:

It's easy to use and so much better than Acrobat Reader. Trash it and get Foxit :)

I've been using it for several months. Let me tell you this: it opens in in instant, not after 5 freaking minutes like Acrobat Reader :rolleyes:

It's easy to use and so much better than Acrobat Reader. Trash it and get Foxit :)

Couldn't agree more. Nuke Acrobat and go with Foxit.

Adobe has always slowed down any computer I've ever run it on.

Worst part is when you're trying to get work done on a Windows machine, and you click a link on a website and it opens up adobe, half the time it locks up the workstation on you.

On linux it's equally as bad, locks up the browser most times.

It works fine if you let it sit, but for what it's doing, it shouldn't cause this much trouble.