Sign in to follow this  
profhig

How to.....

OK. I admit I am being mercenary and am after the $100 to put towards an upgrade. But you might find this useful. I know I did. If you are like me and have several applications open at once, but fairly often want to get to your desktop it can be a blinding nuisance clicking to minimize several windows. And you might also find yourself rushing and closing an application accidentally. I only found this recently, so it probably isn’t common knowledge. Just hold down the widows/start button on your keyboard and press D. Hey-presto! Instant desktop. And all your windows are minimized.

:cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:

One of our most-used shortcuts. :tup: You can also press Start + D again to maximise everything. :)

Start + M will also minimise all windows.

Start + Shift + M will maximise after using the above shortcut.

with regards

I use QuickLaunch for the desktop--one click and don't have to move your hands or look at the keyboard.

Me too. It's just too quick clicking the Show Desktop quicklaunch to mess with keyboard shortcuts... :P -kd5-

Keyboard shortcuts are great, especially when playing computer video games... so much more flexibility. Many of us know about the more common shortcuts like the Windows XP list stormy linked above, but here's 3 types of shortcut you'll love if you get it to be a habit.

1) First kind is the shortcut keyboard macro to open you often-used programs and internet pages. Some examples I have open up my yahoo email (CTRL + ALT + / ), play winamp (CTRL + ALT + Z), my Creative Live audio mixer applet (CTRL + ALT + L), the calculator (CTRL + ALT + C), etc.

These types all need either an icon, quicklaunch, browser favorites, or start menu method of normally mouse clicking to open them. So instead of mousing over and sifting thru buried start menu windows to arrive at the place to click on and open a vital but not so often used program, like the calculator, this is how you do it:

a) find the icon you would normally click on

b.) right click and select PROPERTIES

c) in the Shortcut Key box, enter you keyboard macro

d) hit OK/APLLY and you're done

The only caveat is if you use another program that is heavily laden with its own set of keyboard macros, like in a huge content creation program such as After Effects or Sonar, be careful not to make a macro that is also shared in the other program. This new macro will overwrite the one in your big program.

2) The second type of shortcut is similar to the original Windows + D command used to clear the desktop. This one is Windows + R, and opens the RUN box. Great for getting to the prompt quickly to type COMMAND or MSCONFIG or DXDIAG, etc....

3) This last shortcut is great, and one you can use everyday. It is super handy, and will impress the chicks and other hardcore techies as well. It's like the "Look ma! No hands" cliche we used as kids showing off when we first learned to take our hands off the handle bars of the bicycle while riding it down the street. This one is more like "Look ma! No screen!" I use it to turn off the computer whether or not I can see the screen. I like to fall asleep to music, and will turn off the screen while the computer still runs playing music, for example.

Windows + U + U == turn off computer

Windows + U + R == restart computer

Hope you enjoy these shortcuts. Long read to get to them, but you will make them second nature and save much time in the long run.

Edited by psionic11

I used to run a computer lab, bending over and clicking a specific spot on the screen 30 times was a pain. I used this shut down, short cut - press the window key, pause then press u, and then u again.

" Window/u/u " - works on Win 98 and Win Xp.

Thanks, the Start + D shortcut is quite useful. :clap: But does anyone know if there is a shortcut that allows you to actually CLOSE all open windows at once? If there is, that would be even more useful! B)

One of our most-used shortcuts. :tup: You can also press Start + D again to maximise everything. :)

Start + M will also minimise all windows.

Start + Shift + M will maximise after using the above shortcut.

with regards

You could probably create a batch file to close all open windows, shove it on the desktop/quicklaunch, and then assign a shortcut to it (as explained by psionic11 above). :)

:wp:

with regards

Edited by Champion_Munch

You could probably create a batch file to close all open windows, shove it on the desktop/quicklaunch, and then assign a shortcut to it (as explained by psionic11 above). :)

:wp:

with regards

:unsure: That sounds great! I'd certainly give it a try - if I knew how to create a batch file and what commands I'd have to type in to it, to make it close all open windows? :help:

Edited by EssexBiker

I don't know much about batch files, and I haven't been able to find a command that will close all open windows. However, if you know what windows you'll have open, you should be able to work it pretty easily.

You can use the following commands to close down a certain process:

@echo off

taskkill /im filename /f

exit

Where it has filename, you'll need to put the name of the process you want to be killed. For example, if I wanted to close down all the Notepad windows and all the Internet Explorer windows at once, I would use the following:

@echo off

taskkill /im notepad.exe /f

taskkill /im iexplore.exe /f

exit

You can run these taskkill commands directly from the Run menu, or from Command Prompt, but to save it as a batch file, copy those lines into a new notepad file then save it as something.bat (like close.bat). Now when you double click on that file, it will automatically run the commands you put into it.

If you're not sure of the process names, press Ctrl + Alt + Delete to get into Task Manager. Look under the "Processes" tab. It will list all the processes that are currently running on your computer. If you're not sure which process is which, you should google for the names to make sure you're not shutting down a critical process. :)

with regards

:clap: Wow! Thanks Champ! That's just what I wanted! I tried the

@echo off

taskkill /im notepad.exe /f

taskkill /im iexplore.exe /f

exit

- and it worked a treat! I might try adding some other program exe names to the list, so it will close everything at once! Truly excellent!

:unsure: That sounds great! I'd certainly give it a try - if I knew how to create a batch file and what commands I'd have to type in to it, to make it close all open windows? :help:

If you have enough windows open so that they have been compressed together into one group on the task bar, you can right click on the group and then click "close group."

OK. I admit I am being mercenary and am after the $100 to put towards an upgrade. But you might find this useful. I know I did. If you are like me and have several applications open at once, but fairly often want to get to your desktop it can be a blinding nuisance clicking to minimize several windows. And you might also find yourself rushing and closing an application accidentally. I only found this recently, so it probably isn’t common knowledge. Just hold down the widows/start button on your keyboard and press D. Hey-presto! Instant desktop. And all your windows are minimized.

:cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:

but what should you do if your laptop keyboard say IBM doesn't have a Windows Logo Key...... :hammer:

Hey Thanks allot Profig.Man that's a helpful tip because I've always or atleast most of the time have several applications open at the same time.So Thanks again.