Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

ParaScan

2 problems - I think pcpit virus scanner is flawed and yahoo forwardin

I have 2 problems which may or may NOT be related.

----Problem one------

Whenever I go to Yahoo, search for an item, and then click on one of the search links I get fowarded to another non-yahoo search page, sometimes with an IP address of something like 82.xxx.xxxx or something. Interestingly if I open the search link in a new window, hit stop, then refresh, the new search page redirect won't work and I get the page I was looking for.

So I know something is wrong.

But I can't find the freakin thing. I ran a virus scan (McAfee) when it started happening and killed two viruses but since then it says I'm clean.

I updated and ran AdAware - nothing.

I ran HiJack This - nothing that I can see.

I ran Pcpitstop's full virus scan - nothing, except..... which leads us to problem 2....

---- Problem Two --------

I think Pcstop's virus scanner is flawed.

I ran the scan and it turned up "rebooter F" virus.

So I'm thinkin 'yes I found the thing from problem one!' But I got to thinking about it and why would something called a 'rebooter' be causeing a page redirect.

So I went to go look at the thing and it looks like a legit program, it even has a little icon, and according to the properties it was created in 2000 ?!? Is it possible to fake that ?

Well I decided to come here and ask for help. In the process of trying to remember what the heck my username was I came accross this thread I started YEARS ago...

http://pcpitstop.invisionzone.com/index.ph...l=highjack+this

Found these with PC Pitstops Virus Scan...

The Trj/StartPage.AY Virus was found in file C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\odbc.hta

The Trj/Reboot.F Virus was found in file C:\HP\bin\Rebooter.exe

Now its the same computer, but I know I've reformatted since then.

I think this could be a legit program and the pcpitstop virus scanner is giving a false positive ?

Also there are ALOT of wierdo programs in there. I might need to do a screenshot !

Are they legit ? I don't know. But why would so many viruses (if thats what they are) be drawn to an HP folder that most other computers wouldn't even have ?