The unstoppable poppable.

Occasionally whenever a new MSIE window opens, either by launching MSIE or clicking a link that opens a new window, an extra window taking me to mp3721.com (a chinese website for... media?) will open, as well.

It happens all the time when I first boot my computer and open MSIE for the first time that session. I'll open MSIE and up comes my homepage but a 2nd window with mp3721.com.

I've recently formatted and I'm a 'perfectionist' when it comes to keeping my hard drive and OS in order. I don't know how the hell I got this.

AVG anti-virus and Spybot S&D are apparently not detecting it because it's still here.

Please help me remove this annoying peice of malware!

Thank you.

Hi only info i can find is from site advisor might not help but you can take a look ..........

http://www.siteadvisor.com/sites/mp3721.com

Only other thing i can suggest is to try HJT one of the advisors might see some thing to help,if you decide to go that way please read here before posting.........

http://pcpitstop.invisionzone.com/index.php?showtopic=36065

Regards pacman.......

Wow, I also have the exact same problem. From a fresh boot when I start windows it takes me to that website.

But it only happens on a fresh boot or randomly when I click on a link. (maybe 1 out of every 10 clicks)

Always the same chinese website.

I have already run AVG, and Spybot multiple times and nothing comes up.

I use zonealarm as a firewall.

This is the first malware infection I have had in at least two years, I am really obsessed about keeping my computer clean and can't for the life of me figure out how I got this or where it came from...

To the original poster: Have you figured out what this is????

There must be some kind of terrible zero-day exploit in windows that no one knows about, because I am extremely careful about security, and this is just driving me crazy.

I found this thread by googling the name of the Chinese website that keeps popping up. As far as I can tell this is the only thread that is discussing this specific problem anywhere on the internet.

please :help: :help: :help: :help:

bump

anyone?

I have now run Spybot multiple times, AVG scan multiple times, I have even run sysinternals RootkitRevealer to see if there was a rootkit, and nothing.

Everytime I open explorer now it goes to mp3721.com, and now other 100% chinese popups are happening. It seems like it is getting worse!

I posted a Hijackthis log over 24 hours ago but no responses...

what else should I try??

Clickable link broken - Jacee

Edited by Jacee

Try trendMicro housecall if you havent, (free online scan by trendmicro)

I honestly suspect the windows registry, no IDea on how to fix it though.

IS windows fully updated?

Check all of your activeX installations.

Run msconfig to see if anything odd is present, check the startup folder on start > all programs > startup (maybe there is a link in here???)

Ad-aware runs better scans than spybot for browser specific issues, run an ad-aware deep scan (including the registry)

If the problem sill persists let us know what brand your PC is (if any) and give them a ring (maybe a copy of the OS with sponsors?) if you dont have a brand phone M$ explaining the situation (remember to explain it is not a virus as it is a fresh format)

I had the same problem; I had to completely uninstall Symantec virus software and Symantec Security software. Reboot and reinstall. I am some what disappointed that Spyware doctor didn’t catch this.

Hope this helps.

If we ever forget that we're one nation under God, then we will be a nation gone under."

- Ronald Reagan

bump

anyone?

I have now run Spybot multiple times, AVG scan multiple times, I have even run sysinternals RootkitRevealer to see if there was a rootkit, and nothing.

Everytime I open explorer now it goes to mp3721.com, and now other 100% chinese popups are happening. It seems like it is getting worse!

I posted a Hijackthis log over 24 hours ago but no responses...

what else should I try??

Clickable link broken - Jacee

• 3 weeks later...