Change Mode

Windows Disk Clean Up

flyfishingrules2

I know it says no registry hacks, but this is one of my favorites, simple, and for the Pitstop faithful. Of course, any registry hacks come with all the standard disclaimers: backup, be very careful, attend confessional, etc. (which we all ignore because we know we can just reinstall).

Anyway, ever notice how Windows Disk Cleanup takes forever to go though the scanning compressed files part? What is it doing? I don’t know--going out for dinner, dancing, and drinks is my guess. To the best of my knowledge nobody (that I know, anyway) compresses files and with today’s cavernous hard drives, why would you? Here’s how to nip it in the bud:

Start > Run > (type in) regedit > HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Exporer\VolumeCaches\Compress old files. Clear Value from the Default key (right click > delete).

If you search the web, I am pretty sure you can find a script that does it automatically.

Try it, you will like it--don’t be afraid to get your hands dirty. As the car commercial says, “Zoom, Zoom!”

Tip of the hat to someone at the Pit for this one--maybe DK64 can do a search to find out who.

:)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Tip of the hat to someone at the Pit for this one--maybe DK64 can do a search to find out who.

:)

Glances at date. :blushing:

Better late than never.

To my best searching abilities, I found this:

http://pcpitstop.invisionzone.com/index.php?showtopic=51318

bluescout is the person you should be thanking :)

It seems that he's at least semi-active.

Wow, it was weird, I was searching for "compress old files" and I found this

http://pcpitstop.invisionzone.com/index.php?showtopic=56449 , I don't even remember posting that :rofl2:.

I like how I spelled "disk"