Change Mode

Would like your advice

My options are between a AMD Opteron 165 1GHz HT Socket 939 Dual Core Processor or a Athlon X2 4200+ 939 processor. The opteron has 1mb cache, while the 4200 has lower.. However, the 4200 has a higher clock speed at stock mode... Which would you pick for the best performance when both can be overclocked like crazy.. My prime needs are for media encoding, editing, compositing, and also, gaming... Pls keep the comments between these 2 proc's as i'm not gettin anything else but one of these 2. Thanks!

Both good choices. Stock the 4200 would be a bit faster just from the extra 400mhz. They will both OC about the same, around 2.6-2.7 on air. So fully OC for on air use the Opty would be slightly faster from the 2x1mb cache. Also realize you need a very high HTT speed to OC well with the Opty so the MB becomes an issue. I have had good and bad ones of both chips so it really matters if you get a good or bad one.

Gryph

yeah its sort of a risky move getting a bad chip if I go with the lower clockd opteron.. I need the 1mb cache for editing purposes, so i should prolly bite the bullet and get a higher level x2!!

Whats ur budget m8, I know you said its either of these 2. but its good to know how much your willing to spend. So its easier to suggest something from these two, and IF NEED BE, I am not going to suggest anything else, but if we have to, we should know how much you want to spend. as I said, i do realize you said only these 2. (sometimes we change our minds lol) :P

Thanks and good luck finding one. happy easter to you m8.

lookin at all these diff proc's, and currently considering that i'm on a xp 2600 i'm gettin jealous! Nah, i will keep it low pro for now and decide between these 2 lol

Which has a higher rate of oc'ing to a higher clock speed, the opteron?

good question lol.

well, i'm not that gr8 of a overclocker, but I can give an answer, without a explanation of why is it lol. your answer is yes.

in ur case, if I were in ur boot, brother I would go for the cheaper as both of them are abt the same, they have same amount o/c almost, its just the 4200 has the 400mhz advantage, but thats not really one against the opteron. Lots of people here in the pit are now getting the opty's and trust me, they are Xtremely Happy lol. I have one too, just haven't opened the box yet lol.

So I would go for the cheaper one, as I said they r both good at their level and preery similar. the opty has its own pros and cons, as well as the 4200 has its own pros and cons too.

The best thing b4 you buy, is to look at atleast two reviews for each processor. And then final decision, if you still can't decide, then baby its all to the $$$$ tag lol.

good luck, hope my thing made sence lol, dunno how to phrase words and sentence them properly lol. :P

lol i cant say that my x2 encodes no problem with 512mb L2 I can winavi to dvd in 18min convertXtoDVD is a bit longer at 30min (but you already decided)

my everyday OC is 2.6, I could go 2.7 but no need. I have easily hit 2.8, but that was it for me (crappy mobo and my ram was at 250 @1:1)

either way I love that I can fold, encode, extract, and surf all at the same time no issues :)

i think we can all agree that any AMD chip is pretty DAMN good!! Some heads up, i ordered from Ewiz.com yesterday at 11am, order got shipped out by 5 pm that same day, and i'm receiving my shipment, the next day (today) , its out for delivery!! Ewiz was also the cheapest retailer!! Now lets see if they send me the right parts :)

found out that it is supposed to be toledo. Anyway, my next question is, how should i tackle upping the oc' on the asus a8n sli mobo. I'm so used to oc'ing athlon xp 2600's , complete noob to the 939. Any advice would be great. Gonna start out slow, thanks

http://pcpitstop.invisionzone.com/index.php?showtopic=114998

that's my thread, it'll explain if you read all of it, about the overclocking.

also, this thread will explain the memory divider part w/ the hyper transport alot better too

http://pcpitstop.invisionzone.com/index.php?showtopic=110923

pretty much though, since you don't have an FX chip, your multi on the cpu is locked. it's locked up, but can freely go downward from what i know (to allow for cool and quiet features). the HT though replaces the common fsb on the old socket a systems, which is the hard part to understand. AND their is also a "fsb" which really isn't anymore, it's just the speed your ram is.

good place to start though would be to take your HT/fsb up to 200(400ddr) speed, make sure that your HT link is set to 5x, 4x if your board is advertised as having the 800meg HT. and then set your ram speed to whatever it is, ddr400, ddr500......

pretty much the key is to FORGET SOCKET A TOTALLY, lol.

goodluck