Change Mode

Ever get tired of that plain windows xp boot logo?

dickster

The first thing you need to do is find a pic you want as the replacement for the windows logo you see when the computer is booting up. Being that I run W2K, I found a bunch of great ones here.

http://www.littlewhitedog.com/content-17.html

Find whatever you want to use, and use a tool like Infranview to resize it to 640x480>16bit color. Save it as a .bmp.

Download this nifty little program.

http://desktop.downloadatoz.com/boot-xp/

Open the program. Import the .bmp you saved and it will make a copy of your NTOSKRNL.EXE, and alter it to the .bmp you saved. You will still have the old one, and can restore it if you want.

Now, since you have 2 NTOSKRNL.EXE files, windows will give you about 30 seconds to decide which to use on bootup. Lets shorten that to 3 seconds. Open the boot.ini file usually found by opening my computer>c drive. Find the boot.ini and right click>open with notepad. The timeout (second)line will look like this.

[boot loader]

timeout=30

You want to remove the zero, and exit saving the change. The final file will look something like mine.

[boot loader]

timeout=3

default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINNT

[operating systems]

multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINNT="Microsoft Windows 2000 Professional" /fastdetect /KERNEL=LOGOOS.EXE

multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINNT="(Backup Line) Microsoft Windows 2000 Professional" /fastdetect

The backup line is your old file. Reboot and you should see the new logo.

Great stuff, however I think it needs mentioning that this if not done perfectly and exactly as the instructions say it can render a computer unbootable.

Be very, very careful with this bootloader hack. ;)

Actually, since it saves the old NTOSKRNL.EXE in the boot.ini file, if it doesn't boot to the new logo, just reboot and choose the second boot option. It will load with the original NTOSKRNL.EXE and windows logo.

Edited by dickster

lol dickster,

but a good one. just one thing to advice, the image shown on the website or the image file is not as clear as the boot screen picks up. It won't show as clear as you see on websites.

This is another gr8 site to visit, Open with a smile lol, amazingly it also have visual stlyes, backgrounds, screensavers and stuff. Its an awesome site, and stlyexp is one of the best programs out there. But not to forget even Windows BLinds is a good prog too.

Anyways, very nice tutorial dickster

Nice tip Dickster.

I tried to get a new boot screen on my own and it turned out that I did something wrong and I couldn't boot up anymore V_V ... Put my Windows XP CD in and repaired it, and that did the trick, but be vary careful with this stuff.

Edited by TheHopelessOne

Nice tip Dickster.

I tried to get a new boot screen on my own and it turned out that I did something wrong and I couldn't boot up anymore :D (Still not too good with computers) ... Put my Windows XP CD in and repaired it, and that did the trick, but be vary careful with this stuff.

Edited by TheHopelessOne