Optimize fixing what isn't there?

I have just run Registry Mechanic on my XP system. It reported 14 registry errors. I know what these are, and I let them stay (They are "high priority" settings by my firewall update program). I then ran Pit Stop Optimize, which reported 122 registry errors. Strange. I ran this test comparison three times with the same result.

I ran Registry Mechanic again and compacted my Registry. All was perfect and, as I had told it to do, it left the 14 high-priority settings. Then I ran Optimize. Again I got 122 errors reported. Very strange.

I checked out one Optimize comment: that it could "Speed-up NFTS volumes" by changing a registry setting from none to 1. The specific address is HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\FileSystem\NtfsDisableLastAccessUpdate.

There is no such entry in my registry. I looked up the last "word" of that entry on the web, and saw that it was generally seen as a useless registry entry four years ago. It seems that Microsoft has agreed and has removed it. But why does Optimize report that it is incorrectly set on my machine?

--Barnard

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Guest

I have just run Registry Mechanic on my XP system. It reported 14 registry errors. I know what these are, and I let them stay (They are "high priority" settings by my firewall update program). I then ran Pit Stop Optimize, which reported 122 registry errors. Strange. I ran this test comparison three times with the same result.

I ran Registry Mechanic again and compacted my Registry. All was perfect and, as I had told it to do, it left the 14 high-priority settings. Then I ran Optimize. Again I got 122 errors reported. Very strange.

I checked out one Optimize comment: that it could "Speed-up NFTS volumes" by changing a registry setting from none to 1. The specific address is HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\FileSystem\NtfsDisableLastAccessUpdate.

There is no such entry in my registry. I looked up the last "word" of that entry on the web, and saw that it was generally seen as a useless registry entry four years ago. It seems that Microsoft has agreed and has removed it. But why does Optimize report that it is incorrectly set on my machine?

--Barnard

Did anyone ever answer you yet or are they just slow for paying customers ?

Guest Guest_Robert_*

I agree with this post. Having just run tweaknow regcleaner, the Pitstop software found what is required in the registry, along with items in other files which are best left where they are. There was no "increase in speed" for the www. Earthlink loses more than it gains trying to make money this way...a pity.

Guest Guest_Robert_*

We have a newer version of Optimize which should correct this problem. This version will be release very soon for Beta Testing. When it is officially released, it will be a free upgrade.

What a disgusting way to do business....why don't you guys PERFECT the software, and make sure it works correctly.......before you offer it. But its not a surprise given the false promises and much wasted time dealing with earthlink staff lately. I have been with earthlink since it began as Global Crossing, a downhill run and it is a pity.