Just downloaded a 30 day trial

And I'm not too impressed. I guess it's ok, but not really worth the price. So I've been through AVG, Panda, Pc-Cillian, Anti-Vir and Kaspersky in the last year +. They've all kinda left me wondering where these companies are headed. Wish I could say one of them has made me take notice, but I can't!

Guess it's back to the free Avast.

Just a little rant. Move if needed.

And I'm not too impressed. I guess it's ok, but not really worth the price. So I've been through AVG, Panda, Pc-Cillian, Anti-Vir and Kaspersky in the last year +. They've all kinda left me wondering where these companies are headed. Wish I could say one of them has made me take notice, but I can't!

Guess it's back to the free Avast.

Just a little rant. Move if needed.

You just like to use Avast :lol: and you dont want to put out the money for the extra stuff that comes with the payed versions in which you dont even really need anyway ;)

Got the full version on this pc. I just like to test A-V programs on an old system I slap together just for that. Then I head to sites I know are hazardous just to see if it protects me. Been doing a number of LLF on that old 40gb drive. :)

I've been using F-Secure... I didn't like PAnda, or PCCillian either.. PCCillian came with my motherboard for a boot scan and packaged as a full version free... wasn't impressed... never did like Mcafee... never found stuff that others did........... AVG is ok in my book for a freebie... havent tried nod32 yet.

For a freebee, in my opinion, Avast kills AVG. Not knocking AVG, but Avast has stopped things it didn't. I've kinda made a habit of testing A-V programs (except Norton and McAfee, which will never get on my systems again) and found Nod32 to be the star among them. Loading all the others, and going to known "nasties" sites, every one has let something through. Nod has stopped all.

Don't get me wrong here. I purpossly go to sites and download things to get hit. For the average user, any of the above mentioned A-V programs will serve them well.

Edited by dickster

That's a big problem with most A-V progs now. The newer versions are coded for faster systems, and the older systems suffer. AVG and Anti-Vir seem to work better then the others on the older systems.

Yeah thats one thing I've hated about the old system that I'm trying to fix. The newer programs as stated eat up the memory bandwidth and all. Even the F-Secure that I run eats up memory but I don't notice it on this computer at all... When a nasty litl thing tries to get in even if i dont download anything from the website, it stops its auto download notifies me with what to do. If I chose delete, it tries to delete it, if that don't work it lets it download but right into the quarantine folder and then allows me to do what i want with it...

Dickster if you want a site that does something like that.... attacks you while its even loading still let me know and i'll send it to ya in a pm... you may already know it though....

For a freebee, in my opinion, Avast kills AVG. Not knocking AVG, but Avast has stopped things it didn't. I've kinda made a habit of testing A-V programs (except Norton and McAfee, which will never get on my systems again) and found Nod32 to be the star among them. Loading all the others, and going to known "nasties" sites, every one has let something through. Nod has stopped all.

See what I mean :) Dickster just messing around with you guys in the Pit to see If we're on the same tip as him with this AV mess>>He knows already that Nod32 is the best out there right now but he just hate to give up Avast :boxing:

No betas here. I could infect this drive with many betas, but it doesn't help most out there, and that's what I'm trying to do.

Have thought about setting up a site for testing A-V software, but I wouldn't know the first steps in setting up a website like that!

If you can work off Nod32, it is the best out there right now, bar none! I've run most that I think are worth it, and Nod comes out well above the rest! JMHO

Hmm we'll see.. like i said I dont start my new classes until May.. Its kinda funny though....... I tested out of NETW105 which was Computer Hardware and components but failed the NETW100 test... NETW100 was networking

The V-Com System Suite 6 Professional that I have uses a stripped down version of PC Cillin (just the basic AV engine, nothing fancy), along with Sygate's firewall amongst its various other utilities. I swear by it. If I didn't have this, I'd probably run Avast!, but for the wide array of utilities I have available to me with SS6 I'm not likely to give it up anytime soon.

SS6 is also very light on resources, uses only one entry at Startup as opposed to anywhere from 4 to 10 with some of these other bloatware applications. -kd5-

But since I went to a router, I don't use a software firewall anymore.

That router let ya know if somethings trying to phone home??

Nope, but I do know what I let get to my systems. I don't go to those "nasty" sites on any of my always online systems. When I do visit the bad sites, all other pc's are disconnected.

Mama didn't raise no fool. :nono:

Nope, but I do know what I let get to my systems. I don't go to those "nasty" sites on any of my always online systems. When I do visit the bad sites, all other pc's are disconnected.

Mama didn't raise no fool. :nono:

:lol: Just bringing that up..not everyone has your computer savvy...

Oh..and if I was the paying type...kaspersky

I'm not...so its the free stuff for me... :P v