Change Mode

pent 3.0 vs this dual core? would it be a huge upgrade?

Hello all, I was looking at you intel guys with the pentium d dual cores, I fould a socket pent d that will fit my board, would it run my vid card better and be a really good upgrade, kinda scared that my board won't support it, but I updated bios, and it had a fix for newer cpu's. here is the chip I have in mind http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?...N82E16819111178

the northwood is a performer, you may get more performance in gaming considering a 1mb or 2 cache, i have the same chip you have and games are flawless, i have two gigs of hyper x ram and a 6800gt.

i get 60 frames in fear! although i overclock this northy to 3200mhz, 214 on bus.

ahh i see whats happening now, your bios is locked due to it being a dell pc, have you thought of just replacing the motherboard, just a suggestion though, there are still decent 478 mobos out there, maby 80$ will get you one that has raid and overclocking functions!

no, its as simple as installing windows.

example if both drives are connected, when you start the windows setup hit f6 to load additional drivers, then you pop in the floppy that contains the raid driver, select the driver then windows will proceed with the install, when you get into the partition part you will notice only one drive but it will actually be two together.

example twin maxtor 80gig sata's would look like one maxtor at 160 gigs.

the best i can explain it.

im looking at this board, but some people make it sound hard to set up audio and stuff, just scared to buy it and not know how to set up everything to get it running, also I would have to buy a tower to fit the mother board http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?...N82E16813131492

Edited by chicagobearsfan

i said that when i started, i just went ahead and tried it, i had a little fear about it, i guess it was the idea of accomplishment, if i could do it then it would be something new to learn.

the forums like the pit helped alot too.

boards that dont have a bios lock like that asus board perform better, the reason why dell locks the bios is to prevent human error but its also underclocked so it will last years, just enough performance to surf the web and play small games, with an open bios the performance on regular settings are outstanding.

heres the real answere for your quetion, more functions and better control!

example : say if your playing a game you you want more frames, you are able to tweak the memory timings and oc your northwood, you can send it to 3400mhz and w- proper cooling it will be stable and game play will be smoother, with good cooling i can oc my northy to 4ghz and run it for a few hours, i can get 20 to 30 more frames in game play.

wow you bought the board, didnt think you were going to :geezer:

but then thats how i did it, i bought the stuff after research and put it together ;)

anyhow goodluck on your first build :tup:

I doubt I will overclock

Although you say that.. when you have a board which allows you to overclock, and has all those settings in there just waiting to be played with..... temptation gives in :P Edited by strukt