Change Mode

Dsl Problem

Hoping someone might have a clue to send me. If I stop using the net, dling or surfing and either let themonitor shut down or Game for a bit(offline) then try to check email or surf the web I have to reboot to get access back to the net. Ive done about everything i can think of to fix it. About the best I have gotten so far is now it take about 2-3 hrs of inactivity before it does it now and it dont "lock up mid download now. Any thoughts or tips?

Sounds like your system isn't coming out of sleep properly. You could change to the "always on" power profile to see if it helps. Also try using the "blank screen" screen saver instead of any other one you might be using. Sometimes third-party screen savers crash the system.

Who is your DSL provider? And I'm assuming it's a PPPoE connection?

I have SBC Southwestern Bell, and I'm one of the lucky ones that got DSL before they went to PPPoE which they force on their current DSL hookups.

Your provider probably forces the "logoff" of the connection after a certain period of inactivity, and it sounds like that is messing up your system. I don't know enough about PPPoE to give you any advice, but I'd check around at DSL Reports and see if you can learn anything there.

I have the same problem, I just built the box, got everything set up, put the kids on their own startup....everything working great... then the ?, dad, can I put x.y.z ect. on the computer and BAM :( !!! have to shut down if changing over to new user or if the box sits for awhile you get kicked off the net... reboot and everything is great. I plan on doing some digging around this weekend to see if I can figure it out. If anyone has a clue let us know..............

Guest IrOnPiG

Is this a fully DHCP connection?

If so make sure that the WinXP DHCP service is set to automatic (Administrator services).

Also XP has that nasty little firewall that just loves to block DHCP requests. Theres also that NASTY little Freedom Firewall that comes with all new HP machines. These things can cause nothing but connection drops. (If you want a firewall get a router)

One more thing. Make sure that your LAN connections are not going to sleep. This is something that can be set in many BIOS's and there are some XP functions as well.

Guest andycallum

:help: hello can anyone help me, im just getting to grips with how computers work. i also have a dsl problem, Ive been on all the alcatel driver websites looking for a driver that will work with alcatel speedtouch, just like aol had told me to. BUT nothing works. So again i foned AOL who said it was something bt has done, i foned them (guess what they said? It was Aols fault. for 2 weeks i tried. is there anyway i can do it myself????

PLEAZ HELP MEeeeeeeee.

Guest IrOnPiG

OK Technodruid

Try disabling ZA for a day.

Ive run into MANY circumstances where the initial boot process gives you a perfectly valid set of DHCP addy's and you can surf fine but after your IP lease has expired your machine has to perform another DHCP request. If that request is blocked by that perfectly crappy program called ZA then you will receive a windows default IP (169.x.x.x). Baddabing......no more surfing.

Try it. Cant hurt.

Well after a couple days of testing i think ive got it working. No More odd disconnections :) thanks for the Help.

for those curious this is what i changed.(win XP settings) I Disabled Link Power down saving, and the Wake on ARP/PING, Wake on Link change, wake on APM mode. I also Set the half/full mode to 100 full rather then auto.