Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Signman

W2K won't boot past wallpaper

Got our hands full. Have not been able boot past the wallpaper an one of our W2K Pro machines. Was working fine until a "realplayer update" was clicked on. Now, we can't boot past the wallpaper. There are no icons visible on the desktop and no right click on the desktop will work. Things we have tried:

boot to safe mode, last know good configuration...no go even in safe mode, there are no icons. Booted to safe mode with networking....no go. Ran a sfc /scannow but found nothing. Cannot get on the internet to run any online scans. I am running Stinger on it as I type this. Maybe a repair install might fix it but I don't know. Don't want to have to format........too much stuff on there. Anybody got any suggestions?

If you can, in Safe Mode run HijackThis, save the log to a floppy, then post the log in the HJT Forum using another PC. While in Safe Mode, completely disable Real Play Undates, it is a known source of Spyware. Also, if you can get into Safe Mode with Networking and can get online, go to this site and download Spy Sweeper's 30 day trial and run it. If there are nasties there, it will find them...

http://www.sofotex.com/Webroot-Spy-Sweeper...oad_L10347.html

Yeah, cant run hardly anything on it. No icons appear in safe mode either. No right click...can't get to control panel...I have managed to get a copy of Ewido from a CD to run....it's scanning as I type this. I didn't see anything in HIJack This but I will post a copy of it in the Hijack forum.

Looks like we are running out of options so let me ask this............Under normal conditions, would a "repair" install of the operating system delete any "personal " files like photos, Excel, or Word documents? Another concern is this.... a OEM disk "wipes" the drive back to "original" condition so would it be ok to use a purchased W2K "non OEM" disk to do the repair install so we don't loose personal files or would it not be compatible with the OEM stuff? Ok...Ok...it's a Dell :P

The restore option should keep your files, but there's no gaurintee, I've done restore's before and all documents stayed intact, third party programs are another issue tho, the reg will get rewrote so just about all of your third party progs will need to be reinstalled

Yes, you can use an oem disk to do this, you'll need a good key tho

Joe, are you saying we can use the "OEM" disk to repair without loosing anything or is that not an option on the OEM disk?

We are also toying with the idea of removing the hard drive from that computer and slaving it into another computer so we can get online to scan the drive.

the only difference between an OEM disk and retail, is the eula and support....mind you that's not the same as a recovery disk the you get with oem pc's. I know that dell gives you an oem XP disk, but hp and compaq only used to give you a recovery disk, and they don't even do that now

Also, W2K is a very stable o.s. and I'd tend to think the reason for your problem is a fatal system corruption from a failing drive/psu or you got something nasty on it, you can do a virus scan from dos with this

http://www.ultimatebootcd.com/

there's several scan engines on that disk that should tell you if you're infected

Well, that didn't work................won't boot with Ultimate Boot CD. We have slaved the drive into another computer and are in the process of doing a virus scan on it. Keeping our fingers crossed....

Is the bios set to boot to the cdrom, and that file is an iso file, you need to burn the image to the disk

Yes and yes to that Joe. This thing has me stumped! Apparently has everyone else stumped too. Whatever it is, it's covered all the bases. I'll let you know how the scans turn out.

worst case senario...wipe the disk, I saw the thread in the hjt log a while ago, if that thing will boot from a floppy, run kill disk, it clean the entire drive but everything will be gone permanetly

http://www.killdisk.com/

Yeah, I've used Killdisk a few times before. Just finished scans and nothing was found. I guess we'll salvage the personal stuff and reformat. Thanks for sticking with me on this! :beer:

I normally don't like to recommend that, but it could save you hours and hours of trying to fix something you might end up wiping anyway