whats the point in turning a computer off?

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

can i smack him with a board, or does someone wanna help me????

rider, they are exspensive, i mean i spent 25 bucks on fans before.... wait, i did get 20 fans for that price.... ah heck. LOL

:mrgreen:

turning off computer cleans ram and Vram usage, cleans temporary files, refreshes xp services, and other technical stuff too, let alone for dummies here, IT SAVES POWER. unless your rich its dumb to waist energy, nor is it good for the economy.

Its just smart :)

turning off computer cleans ram and Vram usage, cleans temporary files, refreshes xp services, and other technical stuff too, let alone for dummies here, IT SAVES POWER. unless your rich its dumb to waist energy, nor is it good for the economy.

Its just smart :)

A simple restart clears ram.nfolding is good enough reason to chip out more for a hydro bill. If the imagineable happens and you get sick I hope the work my computer does helps you.

ok im just wondering why people turn off there computers. i leave mine on all the time and reboot about every week. or unless i need to.

I take it that you don't pay your own electric bill?

I do have one computer I leave on. That is my media server. The only reason I leave it on is because it's set up to record shows (similar to TIVO recordings). Since I have so many different shows set up to record, I forget when they all come on. It's easier to leave it on.

The other four computers I have are turned off when not in use.

we've always left our computers on 24/7, and haven't had anything die out yet (we still have a computer from 1997 that was on 24/7, and it still works fine).

I started running [email protected] on 3 comps because they were always on, seemed kinda pointless to let them sit and do nothing.

We leave them on for convenience, also. I like to use my computer whenever I want, so like after i get home for school, i can go on right away instead of waiting, and everything (aim/msn/yim/irc) is already connected.

I turn mine off when I go to my bed because (it's really not that loud), but I'm very sensitive to any sound when I'm trying to go to sleep. Can't use ear plugs because then I won't hear my alarm in the morning.

Windows just isn't designed to run 24/7. It's designed to be turned off every night. I don't care what you say, if you leave one on for weeks, there is no way it's going to run the same as if you just turned it on. ;)

(Depending what you do, it can be slightly different, if you aren't really using the ram then you should be better off, as in folding which, correct me if I'm wrong, just uses CPU?)

Edited by xXenXx

yea, for the most part, folding uses CPU. it uses a bit of ram, like any other program, though.

This computer has been on for a week but i'm just using it for games/internet/folding and it runs as fast as when i started it up. i'm using my other comp to talk to people and all that.

i'm used to the noise so it feels really weird sleeping at night with no computer on.

if you have a 500watt psu calculate a kilowatt hour to your erea's rates!

thats alot of wasted money, your utility bill will increase more because of your computer than any light bulb in your house.

it has been calculated out before. in the midwest us, average for 1 pc to run 24/7 with heavy usage only half the day, it'll cost about 10 bucks a month in electric

easy ways to compensaate for this, turn the furnace down a couple degrees and vent the exhaust air out of your pc room and into another part of the house. i mean living in ohio, my gas bill is about 220 a month, and that's keeping the house at about 65F

Well just becase your psu can output 500 watts max doesn't mean it does that continuously. 300 to 400 Watts would be more like it. .82749(Kilowatt charge in the Midwest US) x .4(400 Watts or .4 kilowatts) = .0331 That is 3.3 cents per hour x 24 = .79 a day x 365 = $289.95 in electricity in one year if I leave my computer on 24/7.

I figure since I have my cmputer on about 6 hours a day I spend $72.49 on electricity for my computer each year. :) That is $217.46 in one year I save on electricity. That is almost enough for a decent upgrade.

Edited by Web Police

thats alot of wasted money, your utility bill will increase more because of your computer than any light bulb in your house.

a 500watt psu doesnt always use 500watts depends on how much your system is pulling load idle ect

i get PC's all the time that are left on 24/7 .................. usually i hafta start up the Leaf Blower to clean them out . then replace a few Fans and thats all if they're lucky ................. Dust would be a killer if i left mine on ...... most performance PC's have hi volume fans for better ventilation & Boy can they pull in some dust , i now have filters on my Intake Fans for the 2-3 hours a day mines on .........

or u could just keep the room closed and cleaned, don't smoke and don't let the pets into the pc room. i didn't have to clean my pc for a year instead of every month doing this.

yeah right .......... 5 Kids i'm lucky i still have doors to close ..... dont smoke .wife does a pretty good job keeping everything clean ....... and uhhh want a dog ............. really is a good dog .......... he dont Chew up every frickin thing he can find oh and he dont dig a bunch of Holes all over the Dam Yard either . really he's a Good dog ...... real cheap :laughing:

i now have filters on my Intake Fans for the 2-3 hours a day mines on .........

Edited by flewpastu

I turn my desktop off unless I need it on for something (Cleaning Utilities, Downloading a song (don't assume it's P2P)).

My laptop is on for most of the day, but since a good deal of that time is on battery, it's not costing anything to run.

the power supply will store 500watts of power till its needed thus it will be used in increments, thats why its a power supply, every few seconds it will charge again and again and again.

it may not use it constantly but it will use it every few seconds, check the responce time on your psu, this is the amount of time it takes to charge up again!

also you have to think about twin rails, thats really a major waste.

Edited by duanester

windows works fine running my computer all the time. i only reboot to clear my ram. idc if it waste energy although i do have it setup to turn my HD off after idle of 5mins, also the monitor, and standby

yes this is a very stupid question, although everybody in this whole forum had something to say about it.. lol even about how there light sleepers.

also another person gave us his whole daily schedule! lol

Edited by burned-ati

the power supply will store 500watts of power till its needed thus it will be used in increments, thats why its a power supply, every few seconds it will charge again and again and again.

it may not use it constantly but it will use it every few seconds, check the responce time on your psu, this is the amount of time it takes to charge up again!

also you have to think about twin rails, thats really a major waste.

Are you sure about this, the way i thought it was is that the psu in a computer is not a power supply at all but it is a transformer so all its really doing is taking your 240volts and transforming it down to 12, 5, 3 and whatever else your pc needs.

it converts ac (alternating current) to dc (direct current).

capacitors will store this current till needed, like a camera flash, just enough power to make it flash for a split second, the average battery doesnt have enough current, to do this without capacitors.

for your psu theres a transformer that will change the current from dc to ac but you still need capacitors to store this converted energy. its the same energy just converted.

1 kW = 1000 W every 1k used is one kw, check your billing information for the cost per kw.

i bought some cheap dust cloths and cut a couple in squars and use doubtle sided tape as dust filters...works really really well

1 kW = 1000 W every 1k used is one kw, check your billing information for the cost per kw.

did you figure in the wasted energy that is heat?

Edited by solaris

no, power consumption, even if the pc is idled it will still use the same amount of power, doing things to cause a power draw will be the same as doing nothing at all. thats the wattage produced regardless of draw.

its why these overclockers buy bigger psu's!