Sign in to follow this  
JulieAnna

Computer Will Only Boot in Safe Mode

hello ive noticed this topic is quite old now but i really need your help

basicly everything on this topic has happend to me i was just wondering

what im supposed to uninstall there's

ati software uninstall utillaty

ati catalist control center

ati display driver (i think this is the one)

windows driver package advance micro devices (amdk8) processor (1.3.1.0)

windows driver package advance micro devices (amdk8) processor (1.3.2.0)

and if you could tell me where to get the reinstall

that would be so kind

P.S

my computer (laptop) is an acer aspire 5101AWLMi

it has

amd turion 64 mobile technology MK36(2.0GHz,512KB L2 cache)

graphics card-ati radeon xpress 1100

thank you for your time

Edited by mad mike

ati display driver

That's the one. You can also do it through the Device Manager

Personally I would use this one and start from scratch:

ati software uninstall utility

You will want the ATI Chipset & Display Driver v8.251 and the Realtek Audio Driver v5.10.0.5257 from the link below. I wasn't able to narrow the search tighter than a model aspire 5100 and the only explanation I can think of as to why the drivers say they are for a 3100 is that the two take the same driver. You may want to investigate a little more before proceeding.

Select 'notebook' then 'aspire 5100':

http://www.acerpanam.com/synapse/forms/por...id=3394#results

You can also get the driver directly from ATI, but I didn't see in your post what version of Windopws you are using:

http://ati.de/support/driver.html

there are 2 stickers on my laptop

sticker 1:a windows logo (under that) designed for windows xp (under that) windows visita capable

sticker 2:microsoft windows xp media center edition

hope this helps :)

Edited by mad mike

hey i found my graphics card on your second link :)

windows visita 64-bit edition>intergrated/motherboard>radeon xpress 1100

by the way it is also on

windows visita 32-bit edition>intergrated/motherboard>radeon xpress 1100 aswell :huh:

i click on the green go bar and there are 3 download links altogether

Catalyst Beta Software Suite (64 bit)

Catalyst Beta Software Suite (32 and 64 bit)

and

Catalyst Beta Software Suite (32 bit)

what shall i do next :huh:

That's the one. Double click on that item and it should open up a window with some tabs across the top. One of them should be labeled 'Driver" and have a button at the bottom that says "uninstall".

Alternately, you could check in Add/Remove programs for an nVidia driver entry.

seen your post from 2006 about pc only starting in safe mode. I went to device manager the to Display adapter under there I have (Intel® 82945G Express Chipset Family).Is this the video adapter driver I need to uninstall. From your post your suggested to uninstall the video adapter driver. http://forums.pcpitstop.com/index.php?show...13196&st=30. I am at a loss my pc will only boot in safe mode only. Everytime it boots up desktop will appear from 1.5 minutes the pc will shut down and cycle back on until I hold power button down. But I can boot in safe mode. Any help would be greatly appreciated in this matter I have been dealing with this mess for a month now, please help.

Hi bigbob5678,

:wp:

Before uninstalling the video driver, can you boot into Safe Mode with Networking and see if you can run a Pit test from there?

Let me know if you can and I can look up your results. If not, can you provide the make and model number of the computer?

To answer your question, yes, Intel® 82945G Express Chipset Family would be the integrated graphics.

Also, if you can get online in SafeMode with Networking, you may want to do an online malware scan from House Call or Symantec Security Check:

http://housecall.trendmicro.com/

http://security.symantec.com/sscv6/home.as...UQIZQVMUYTACDCO

I ran a scan here @ the pit the results are as follows: http://www.pcpitstop.com/pcpitstop/Summary.asp, also did a online virus scan w/symantec no virus found. hellllllllllpppppp what do I do now??

Hi bigbob5678,

:wp:

Before uninstalling the video driver, can you boot into Safe Mode with Networking and see if you can run a Pit test from there?

Let me know if you can and I can look up your results. If not, can you provide the make and model number of the computer?

To answer your question, yes, Intel® 82945G Express Chipset Family would be the integrated graphics.

Also, if you can get online in SafeMode with Networking, you may want to do an online malware scan from House Call or Symantec Security Check:

http://housecall.trendmicro.com/

http://security.symantec.com/sscv6/home.as...UQIZQVMUYTACDCO

I am also receiving this error message when I try to reboot in normal mode:

A problem has been detected & windows has been shut down to prevent damage to your computer.

If this is the first time you’ve seen this stop error screen, restart your computer. If this screen appears again, follow these steps.

Check to be sure you have adequate disk space. If a driver is identified in the stop message, disable the driver or check with the manufacturer for driver updates. Try changing video adapters.

Check with your hardware vendor for any BIOS updates. Disable BIOS memory options such as caching or shadowing. If you need to use safe mode to remove or disable components, restart your computer, press f8 to select advance start up options, and then select safe mode.

Technical information:

***STOP: 0x0000008E (0x0000005,0xF7860FF4, 0xA9EE0BA8,0x00000000)

*** sfng32.sys – address F7860FF4 base as F785E000, datestamp 4297a8f9

Beginning dump of physical memory

Physical memory dump complete

Contact your system administrator or technical support group for further assistance.

sfng32.sys is a driver related to either a Sonic Focus, Inc sound card or Skype. If you are using Skype, try booting into safe mode and unistalling the program. If you are not using Skype or if that does not resolve the issue, try uninstalling the sound card driver.

Teamspeak may also be a source of the problem.

Ok I uninstalled the audio driver and that did not resolve the issue. If you hear gun shots where you live it was probably me shooting my pc.. LOLOL Any other suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks again in advance.

sfng32.sys is a driver related to either a Sonic Focus, Inc sound card or Skype. If you are using Skype, try booting into safe mode and unistalling the program. If you are not using Skype or if that does not resolve the issue, try uninstalling the sound card driver.

Teamspeak may also be a source of the problem.

Help please pc still will only boot in safe mode/w or w/out networking. I followed the suggestions but those did not work. Any more suggestions would be very much appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Ok I uninstalled the audio driver and that did not resolve the issue. If you hear gun shots where you live it was probably me shooting my pc.. LOLOL Any other suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks again in advance.

Well Intelguy, you got me through the mess with my pc. I want to say a big Thank You for your help. Also any others that posted helpful information for my PC. Thanks again!!

I am now having this same problem (booting up only in safe mode), and I have a feeling it has something to do with this Microsoft Software Distribution Service 3.0 update.

I unfortunately had my PC set for auto updates (Mistake!), which I have since changed, but overnight Saturday, the SDS update installed and when I came down in the morning, could only boot in safe mode.

After following this string, I have tried uninstalling the video driver, but that did not do the trick. The PC is an HP, and I didn't receive the Windows CD, it was preinstalled. Any ideas?

hello, after 1 week of frustration with my computer Ive decided to try you lot and see if i can pick your brains on this

my computer will only boot in safe mode, when i turn my computer on the windows logging bar for XP just stops and freezes, and then i have to turn the computer off and then enter into safe mode, i have tried to restore the system back a week or 2 but had no results from it, it still freezes at the start up screen, i have changed my anti virus setting back to default incase i was blocking any of the system 32 folder .dll .exe files

so Ive now decided to give up and see if there is any1 out there that can help me

Welcome Stranger.

Any particular reason your posting in the virus section?

For now, try this.

Click start/run and type sfc /scannow into the run box and press the enter key.

If any files are missing/damaged, windows will replace them.

You will need your XP disc.

Next time you have a problem, it'd be better to start your own topic. B)

I hope I'm at the right place! As of yesterday, I'm having this problem of only being able to boot in "safe mode" or "safe mode with networking." This started because (I think) I tried to boot my computer with my external hard drive attached. I back up my computer each day and normally, I unplug the external before booting. Yesterday morning, I forgot to do that. When I've tried to boot with the external attached before, the computer has frozen and I had to manually turn it off and unplug the external and then boot (without problems). This time, I walked away from the computer and when I came back it was trying to boot over and over again, until I selected safe mode.

I've run the test at pit stop (http://www.pcpitstop.com/betapit/sec.asp?conid=22305946). I've been wading through this thread started by JulieAnna 3 years ago. I'm to the point of uninstalling the video adpater driver, but like JulieAnna, I'm not so familiar with this device. I'm not a novice to computers, but the only think I find is "Mobile Intel® 945GM Express Chipset Family" which is listed twice under Device Manager>Display Adapters. Is this what I should uninstall? If so, where can I go to reinstall it?

Any other suggestions before I do this?

Hey JulieAnna,

I've got something for you to try if you're feeling game??

Boot into safe mode, access the Device Manager, and uninstall the video adapter driver, then restart and see if it will boot into Windows.

The driver to reinstall (either in Windows or in safe mode if it won't boot into Windows) is the second one down here: http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/softwar...c=en&os=228

Edited by DocSea

I hope I'm at the right place! As of yesterday, I'm having this problem of only being able to boot in "safe mode" or "safe mode with networking." This started because (I think) I tried to boot my computer with my external hard drive attached. I back up my computer each day and normally, I unplug the external before booting. Yesterday morning, I forgot to do that. When I've tried to boot with the external attached before, the computer has frozen and I had to manually turn it off and unplug the external and then boot (without problems). This time, I walked away from the computer and when I came back it was trying to boot over and over again, until I selected safe mode.

I've run the test at pit stop (http://www.pcpitstop.com/betapit/sec.asp?conid=22305946). I've been wading through this thread started by JulieAnna 3 years ago. I'm to the point of uninstalling the video adpater driver, but like JulieAnna, I'm not so familiar with this device. I'm not a novice to computers, but the only think I find is "Mobile Intel® 945GM Express Chipset Family" which is listed twice under Device Manager>Display Adapters. Is this what I should uninstall? If so, where can I go to reinstall it?

Any other suggestions before I do this?

Hi DocSea and Welcome to The PIT!!!

I'd try going into CMOS/BIOS first and make sure that you're set to boot from your regular hard drive. If you want to uninstall the video driver you'll want to grab the latest one first. Go here and select your proper model > http://www.csd.toshiba.com/cgi-bin/tais/su...ily=1073768663#

:geezer: