Sign in to follow this  
JulieAnna

Computer Will Only Boot in Safe Mode

Well, I ran housecall, and it didn't even find anything, even though those 14 infected files F-Secure found are still sitting there. :blink:

As long as you're in safe mode you could try hunting them down in Windows Explorer and deleting them manually, but I would really be more comfortable if my advice was seconded by an HJT advisor. :unsure:

Ok, well, Adaware found 7 items, got rid of them. I'll run the other stuff tomorrow, then try F-Secure again and see how many are left. But I need to hang it up for the day. Thanks again, IntelGuy, and everybody else for all your help. :) I'll be back tomorrow!

Edited by JulieAnna

I hope you turned OFF System Restore before all the virus scans.

Moving this topic ---->

Please DO NOT turn OFF System Restore. A dirty restore point is better to have than none at all! :blink:

Ok, well, Adaware found 7 items, got rid of them. I'll run the other stuff tomorrow, then try F-Secure again and see how many are left. But I need to hang it up for the day. Thanks again, IntelGuy, and everybody else for all your help. :) I'll be back tomorrow!

I've had a little time to think about your original problem and we can most likely eliminate the memory as the source of the problem due to the fact everything seems to work just fine in Safe Mode, which uses the same hardware. :blushing: Safe mode does not load the drivers or the start up programs, so I'll be a little surprized if the problem doesn't leave once the malware that's infected your computer is gone.

Your in good hands over here. :tup:

Have you downloaded, installed and updated current versions of adaware and spybot? Your tech express link is showing them as installed Dec 2004.

This may be because you ran the pit test before you you updated the versions but I thought Id throw it out there in case you hadnt.

Hi, Joe. So I SHOULD set it to NOT auto delete? And if so, what do I then do with the files it cannot clean?

Ok, I scanned with BitDefender. I set it to delete files that couldn't be cleaned, and there are a ton of them. :blink: And at the top, it says "Your computer is still infected!" I haven't closed the window, but why is it saying it is still infected? :(

Ok, I've decided to run all the scans again before doing that, since it's been a couple of days. In scanning with the BitDefender again, there are several infections in the system restore that the BitDefended DID delete. The ones which say 'update failed' are in other folders, one being the housecall/Quarantine folder. :huh:

Hey JulieAnna,

I've got something for you to try if you're feeling game??

Boot into safe mode, access the Device Manager, and uninstall the video adapter driver, then restart and see if it will boot into Windows.

The driver to reinstall (either in Windows or in safe mode if it won't boot into Windows) is the second one down here: http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/softwar...s&dlc=en&os=228

Ok, talk to me like I'm blonde (because I am :blushing::lol: ) I'm in the 'Device Manager' and I don't see anything called video adapter driver. Under 'Display Adapters' there is NVIDIA GeForce4Mx Integrated GPU.

Edited by JulieAnna

Under 'Display Adapters' there is NVIDIA GeForce4Mx Integrated GPU.

That's the one. Double click on that item and it should open up a window with some tabs across the top. One of them should be labeled 'Driver" and have a button at the bottom that says "uninstall".

Alternately, you could check in Add/Remove programs for an nVidia driver entry.

YAY!!! It booted normally, thank you thank you thank you, IntelGuy. Consider yourself cyber smooched. :wub:

Edited by JulieAnna

YAY! You may have to reset your resolution after installing the new driver, though.

Posted Image

Consider yourself cyber smooched.

:blushing::wub::blushing:

:)

YAY! You may have to reset your resolution after installing the new driver, though.

And I even figured out how to do that, all by my little ol' self. :P Everything is back to normal, and I can't thank you enough.

:)

And I even figured out how to do that, all by my little ol' self. :P Everything is back to normal, and I can't thank you enough.

Hi Julieanna, I would still post a HJT log in the HJT forum to be sure ya pc is 100% clean, sure cant hurt since bitdefender found so many virus's/trojans,etc, :)

I have the exact same error and MS and Goolge do not help .. this is the only place I have found to have helped someone with this error

My system was running fine, I just installed the latest microsoft update and rebooted with this error ...

I unistalled my S3 device adaptors and it reinstalled them ....

Same error as i can only boot in safe mode ... any ideas ?????

I am lost ...

Edited by dickandjanes

Hey JulieAnna,

I've got something for you to try if you're feeling game??

Boot into safe mode, access the Device Manager, and uninstall the video adapter driver, then restart and see if it will boot into Windows.

The driver to reinstall (either in Windows or in safe mode if it won't boot into Windows) is the second one down here: http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/softwar...c=en&os=228

IntelGuy, I've got to tell ya, with this one post, you solved my problem on a computer I had just freshly installed Windows XP SP2 on and would only boot to safe mode. If trying to boot normally, it would get to the Windows XP logo with the moving blue bar, then reboot...no BSOD or nothing. I racked my brain trying to figure it out for 7 hours (including re-installing windows 3 times) all to no avail. After googling what seemed like forever, I found my way to your post, followed your instructions (including using the exact driver you pointed to JulieAnna) and presto, all is well. KUDOS to you!!!

Thank you so much!

Always,

~Mark (MrStrype)

P.S. - I registered just to give you those kudos! Keep up the great work! Are there any kind of "point system" for this kind of help?

Wow! Thanks for the kudos! No point system, but I'm really glad that something I posted was able to help! :)

Dear IntelGuy and other helpers,

thanks for everyone for your advices and help. I had the same problem as Julieanna and to be honest still do not know what caused the problem, but at least it now works again. :rolleyes:

I ran ewido (it was near to the end) when my lappy suddenly decided that the buttery finished (I was running two Dell lappies in stereo but using only one supply :blushing: )

After restarting it returned to life like nothing had happened.

Of course I'll continue to run all the antispyware etc. softwares to finish the clean up. :geezer:

Thanks again :adios:

Zoltan

I've done all the adware and spybot stuff, but I'm nervous about trying the last thing with the display drivers....I have a Radeon 3000 listed in my display area, so I'm not sure if that driver that was listed will work? just double checking before I mess something up.

THanks,

Aubs.