PC has semi-poor gaming performance

yea np, its just i can tell you really dont want to drop alot of money on a video card. and im the same way

so deffinetly the x800gto is the fastest for the price, newegg actually dropped it 10 bucks cheaper

also you wont have to play BF1942/ u can move up to bf2 lol.. its the best game around. you should run it 1280/1024 with no problem, which in your case will be crazy because i bet your use to 800/600 lol

the fx5200 is not a gaming video card. More of a open up the email video card :rolleyes:

I wasn't suggesting that he buy a new one. I'm just saying at one time that card was a good gaming card. And that time as after Battlefield 1942 was released.

If you can afford to get a newer card, definitely do that. It would be easier for you to play newer games. BF2 is so much better than 1942. It is possible to play BF2 on the FX5200 (I have friends that do), but it would be on low settings.

I wasn't suggesting that he buy a new one. I'm just saying at one time that card was a good gaming card. And that time as after Battlefield 1942 was released.

If you can afford to get a newer card, definitely do that. It would be easier for you to play newer games. BF2 is so much better than 1942. It is possible to play BF2 on the FX5200 (I have friends that do), but it would be on low settings.

I play Battlefield Vietnam too, which uses a newer engine than BF 1942, this FX5200 doesn't handle it very well at all. Sometimes it just crashes all together :mrsgreen:

I play the BF2 demo but have to use the lowest settings, looks so bad it's hardly worth it :mrsgreen:

I don't really care for the gameplay as much on BF2. Although I might like it better if it ran better on my computer.

I play Battlefield Vietnam too, which uses a newer engine than BF 1942, this FX5200 doesn't handle it very well at all. Sometimes it just crashes all together :mrsgreen:

I play the BF2 demo but have to use the lowest settings, looks so bad it's hardly worth it :mrsgreen:

I don't really care for the gameplay as much on BF2. Although I might like it better if it ran better on my computer.

Get the new card then. The 6800 GS would play all three games great. The AI is so much better in BF2 than either 1942 or Vietnam. Of course, I mainly play BF2 online so there isn't the AI to worry about.

Not sure if this is the right spot for this. Can anyone look at my TechExpress link and give me any advise? I play BF1942 all the time with quite a bit of lagging with explosions and when there's alot of action.

I probably just need to totally upgrade my computer.

i am also an agp user and i would go with bfg tech 6800gt oc 4x/8x agp they also make a 7800 agp card

Get the new card then. The 6800 GS would play all three games great. The AI is so much better in BF2 than either 1942 or Vietnam. Of course, I mainly play BF2 online so there isn't the AI to worry about.

I don't play any of them in single player, just online.

"i am also an agp user and i would go with bfg tech 6800gt oc 4x/8x agp they also make a 7800 agp card"

I'll probably go with the 6800 or X800gto

well i would just get the x800gto and be done with it. because the 6800gs does cost much more, around 50$ more. so yeah! lol.. and you will like bf2 much better than the other past bf versions. i assure you that you will be very happy with the card. it will fly, and also if you decide to not get the x800 and 6800gs instead it will also be great its just the x800 is cheaper and im reccomending that for you. but good luck!

• 2 weeks later...

Any input on an ATI Radeon X1300 Pro? AGP/256MB/600 core 400 memory

I got one for some reason and it kinda sucks, I don't know what I was thinking.

Can you take video cards back? I was at Best Buy today getting XP to do a fresh OS install because the bundled CD's that came with this computer are full of all kinds of junk, no XP disk, XP is just in there somewhere. Anyways I saw that card and thought I had looked at on Newegg or something and had it my head it was one of the ones I wanted.

I want another Nvidia card. this X1300 Pro scores lower in the Pitstop test than my 5200 did. It has a little better FPS rate in BF1942 but not much. I don't care for the settings interface (Catalyst) and you have to have .NET installed to update the drivers.

Graphics quality is definately better, maybe I'm just expecting too much performance wise. They had a BFG GeForce 6200 OC 256MB for the same price, I shoulda got that one I think.

Do I have to match the memory interface with my computer? I think mine's 64 bit.

Edited by tgore3

2 gigs of ram will help if you have memory chugging app's running in the background.

And go with an Nvidia card, better quality imo and more options OS wise in the future (hint hint ;)).

Edited by xXenXx

Thanks for all the replies....

I just ordered all the parts to build a decent gaming rig. This old computer is going to the wife, it's plenty good for what she does. Heck, it scores in the 1200 area on the tests.

New rig.......

*SunbeamTech TRIO IC-TRIO-US-BK Mid Tower Case (Silver)

*Asus A8N-SLI Premium nForce4 SLI Athlon 64(FX)/Sempron/Athlon 64 X2 Skt939 DDR Motherboard w/Audio, Dual Gigabit LAN, RAID/Serial ATA

*AMD Athlon 64 4000+ Processor (San Diego) Socket 939

*Corsair TWINX2048-3200C2 matched 2GB Kit DDR400 XMS3200 Memory w/Black Heat Spreader

*2 x Hitachi Deskstar 7K80 80GB Serial ATA II 7200RPM Hard Drives w/8MB Buffer

*eVGA e-GeForce 7900GT CO Superclock PCI Express 256MB GDDR3 Video Card w/DVI I

*Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi XtremeMusic Sound Card

*Logitech Z-2300 Speaker System

I think I'll be able to play Battlefield 2 now :clap:

Edited by tgore3

Thanks for all the replies....

I just ordered all the parts to build a decent gaming rig. This old computer is going to the wife, it's plenty good for what she does. Heck, it scores in the 1200 area on the tests.

New rig.......

*SunbeamTech TRIO IC-TRIO-US-BK Mid Tower Case (Silver)

*Asus A8N-SLI Premium nForce4 SLI Athlon 64(FX)/Sempron/Athlon 64 X2 Skt939 DDR Motherboard w/Audio, Dual Gigabit LAN, RAID/Serial ATA

*AMD Athlon 64 4000+ Processor (San Diego) Socket 939

*Corsair TWINX2048-3200C2 matched 2GB Kit DDR400 XMS3200 Memory w/Black Heat Spreader

*2 x Hitachi Deskstar 7K80 80GB Serial ATA II 7200RPM Hard Drives w/8MB Buffer

*eVGA e-GeForce 7900GT CO Superclock PCI Express 256MB GDDR3 Video Card w/DVI I

*Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi XtremeMusic Sound Card

*Logitech Z-2300 Speaker System

I think I'll be able to play Battlefield 2 now :clap:

lol nice system. yea bf2 should run fine..