PC has semi-poor gaming performance

Not sure if this is the right spot for this. Can anyone look at my TechExpress link and give me any advise? I play BF1942 all the time with quite a bit of lagging with explosions and when there's alot of action.

I probably just need to totally upgrade my computer.

You should be ok just upgrading the video card.

Cool, that'd surely be a less expensive route. I could also go to 2 gigs of RAM if that would help out the gaming.

Edited by tgore3

The 6600 isn't a bad card, but if you can spring for it I would go with something like this:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?...N82E16814130283

Although it may be bottlenecked by your CPU, it's nothing a little OC won't take care of!

Yeah, I didn't want to go too big on the video card as I'm sure it would get bottlenecked anyways. This Intel 845 MB's clock settings are locked. It is also a 4x AGP.

Thanks for the help thus far, I appreciate it B)

The 6600 isn't a bad card, but if you can spring for it I would go with something like this:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?...N82E16814130283

Nice idea, but his motherboard is AGP.

Although it may be bottlenecked by your CPU, it's nothing a little OC won't take care of!

Again nice idea, but his is a pre-built system (Matrix from his test results) which more than likely means a locked bios.

Your current video card should be more than enough for BF1942. Remember, that game came out in 2002, a good while before the FX5200.

the fx5200 is not a gaming video card. More of a open up the email video card :rolleyes:

hahaha wsrider:) lol, yea the fx5200 is pretty slow. i would go for the x800gto mainly because you will be able to run some AA/ and AF. because the 6600gt is an entrly level HD card, 1024/768 no aa or af thats all in most games, 6600gt actually will drop very bad in halo 1 when i had mine... dissapointed me..

Thanks for all the great info and comments. I don't mind going with an ATI card, don't know anything about them really, I know it's a pretty big topic as far as which is better...Nvidia or ATI. Do I need a 256mb card? Would that be a waste with my system?

The FX5200 does pretty good for a $40 card in it's defence. I've got it OC'd on the memory from 332Mhz to 400Mhz and the core is at the factory 250Mhz. Doesn't like to be OC'd much, it only has a heat sink. I've got a slot fan right under it which does help alot. It does real good with just a few people on the server and not much going on, lol.

Do you have to match the memory type of the video card with your RAM type? I have 1024mb DDR SDRAM and I see some of the video cards have different types.

Do you have to match the memory type of the video card with your RAM type? I have 1024mb DDR SDRAM and I see some of the video cards have different types.

No, one has nothing to do with the other.

no fx5200 is horrible for 40 bucks, you can get a 9700 pro that murders that thing for 40 bucks lol.

imo i would go for a x800gto, i like nvidia and ati the same. they are the same to me. i get whats cheap and performs well. if its something nvidia great! if its something ati great! idc, because ati has gotten better with there past driver issues. link of 9700pro below although it sucks also! it stands over ur card.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ATI-9700Pro-128MB-AGP8...1QQcmdZViewItem

no fx5200 is horrible for 40 bucks, you can get a 9700 pro that murders that thing for 40 bucks lol.

imo i would go for a x800gto, i like nvidia and ati the same. they are the same to me. i get whats cheap and performs well. if its something nvidia great! if its something ati great! idc, because ati has gotten better with there past driver issues. link of 9700pro below although it sucks also! it stands over ur card.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ATI-9700Pro-128MB-AGP8...1QQcmdZViewItem

Well, I paid $40 for it a couple years ago, it's gotten me by....barely. I do see your point.

I realize I'm not going to turn this computer into a high performance gaming machine. I'll have to get familiar with the ATI cards a little bit.

This had been good and I've gotten alot of usefull info from this thread. It's cool to have people to help you learn all this stuff.