Im wanting to start looking at RAID, I havent read X_C RAID set up post yet, but i want to start looking at hardware.

personally, 2 raptors would be nice, but I think thats a little steep of a price right now.

as it stands right now I just have a WD 160 HD, I dont need tons of space, but would love a little RAID set up for my OS. maybe help me in the forum wars 2006? :shifty:

what Hard drives do you recommend for the job? would 2x80gigs be nice? im looking to keep the price around 200 canadian if i can.

thanks as always guys :beer:

Well Buy.com has the 37 gig Raptors for $125.00 2 of those in a RAID 0 array would give you about 70 gig of pure speed. If you're going to do anything other than a JOBD array then you need 2 matched drives.

I would recommend going with more drives. Since you don't need the space, I would go for 3 drives at 80 gig each, set up in RAID 0. This should be roughly in your budget (not sure about the rate conversion). If it's in the budget, go for 4 drives.

Y not just get another WD160?

I had the Raptor 37's and they are just soso. The 74's and 150 are sposed to be much better.

Im trying that now. Im probably gonna go with 1 Raptor 150 or 2 16mb buffer 7200Rpm.

Im also trying to learn bout the scsi stuff.

Y not just get another WD160?

I had the Raptor 37's and they are just soso. The 74's and 150 are sposed to be much better.

Im trying that now. Im probably gonna go with 1 Raptor 150 or 2 16mb buffer 7200Rpm.

Im also trying to learn bout the scsi stuff.

:blushing: i just have one ATA 160 :mrsgreen:

hey Kenny,

how you doing friend, its time to return the favor, you helped me, I will too :P

Here this is the store I normally buy from, I saved good dollars from here than my local store.

This is an excellent deal, 2 of these should set you up for now <<< linky >>> remember you also have to pay taxed and shipping, so keep that in mind.

Thanks have fun

I have 4 of the hitachi 80GB sata-II, I love them, they're 50 bucks a pop, not loud at all, and reliable. 2 of those for 110-115 with shipping and you've got yourself a pretty fast array and a decent amount of storage.

I have 4 of the hitachi 80GB sata-II, I love them, they're 50 bucks a pop, not loud at all, and reliable. 2 of those for 110-115 with shipping and you've got yourself a pretty fast array and a decent amount of storage.

Like Sho said, acoording to the specs you have sata II, not sure if your current drive is sata or ata, but if it's sata II, get another one just like it and do them up in raid 0.

I think he mentioned in his last post that he has one 160 gb pata drive. :huh:

Ooops did not see that! Then get two 80gb sata II and do them in raid. they are only about $50.00 a piece US.

hey Kenny,

how you doing friend, its time to return the favor, you helped me, I will too :P

Here this is the store I normally buy from, I saved good dollars from here than my local store.

This is an excellent deal, 2 of these should set you up for now <<< linky >>> remember you also have to pay taxed and shipping, so keep that in mind.

Thanks have fun

how about this one I suggested, I thought the Samsung drives are nice, and infact Kenny search the whole site lol, they are having another super deal sale, damn they fooled me too by having that early sale, I wish I knew they had another one sale coming up, I would have waited for the freaking pay check lol.

AAARGHHH DAMN.

Anyways, Kenny bye and have fun