how long will socket 754 stay?

Its here for a week then moves onto the raptor pit forums, where seven people will be boarding then moves to the XCSO forums after two weeks.....

Not the answer you was looking for?

J/K

:lol:

Wish socket 754 would come visit me. I would more than happy to take it in. :P

i think 754 was really pointless, because they made it after socket 462. right? well socket 462 could support dual channel. so theres no point in 754.. unless the cpu was like blazingly OCed and the memory also because not having dual channel is a big hitt in games. although the dual channel bandwidth was horible on amd xp's but. i belive just go with 939 there pretty much the same price.

i think 754 was really pointless, because they made it after socket 462. right? well socket 462 could support dual channel. so theres no point in 754.. unless the cpu was like blazingly OCed and the memory also because not having dual channel is a big hitt in games. although the dual channel bandwidth was horible on amd xp's but. i belive just go with 939 there pretty much the same price.

Socket 754 came out before 939. A lot of people bought 754 when it first came out and thus they still own it today.

Also, the A64 on the 754 severely out performed the Athlon series on the socket A. So there is a point to 754.

ok 754 was faster. but lacked dual channel, was more expensive also. socket A/462 was cheaper when 754 came out and supported dual channel. so if i had socket a/462 at the time i would not have upgaded to a 754

although yea all of you 754 owners, i would sell ur chips while there still in style. and make the move to either 939. because all im saying is its a possibility that your chips can become worthless. and also leave you with no cash to put down a on a new chip, when u want to upgrade.. but there proubly not gonna drop in price. the socketA/462 went up very high, i sold a amd athlon 3000 400fsb for 170$ used, and this was about 3months ago.. also i seen a xp 3200 sell for 240$ retail, newegg has them for 150 oem lol. so watch for price raising of your chip then pop it off on ebay! lol

I fail to see how a well running functioning computer is worthless.

I have machines that are still running SDRAM and 500mhz and lower CPU's, hardy worthless, because they are running and serving their intended purpose perfectly fine. In fact buying anything new to take their place would be a huge waste of money. :lol:

Someone has been reading too much PR generated press releases and presentation slides that cloud the facts.

Sempr0n CPUs still come in the S 754 flavour and are still being manufactured AFAIK. These machines are fantastic for workstations in offices as they are cheap and give really good performance.

ok 754 was faster. but lacked dual channel, was more expensive also. socket A/462 was cheaper when 754 came out and supported dual channel. so if i had socket a/462 at the time i would not have upgaded to a 754

although yea all of you 754 owners, i would sell ur chips while there still in style. and make the move to either 939. because all im saying is its a possibility that your chips can become worthless. and also leave you with no cash to put down a on a new chip, when u want to upgrade.. but there proubly not gonna drop in price. the socketA/462 went up very high, i sold a amd athlon 3000 400fsb for 170$ used, and this was about 3months ago.. also i seen a xp 3200 sell for 240$ retail, newegg has them for 150 oem lol. so watch for price raising of your chip then pop it off on ebay! lol

Not sure what you mean... S939 will be "out of date" within the year, because AMD's new socket is coming out. An athlon A was 32 bit... a 64 is 64 bit. Socket 754 prices haven't dropped that much. They still perform very well. I bet my 3000 754 could bench with your 3000+, and they'd be comparable.

Edited by lilbill08

yea your 754 does compare to mine. my memory bandwidth is 5.9GB. @ pc3200 2-2-3-5 timmings. also my memory latecny is 44.3ns/ 2.4GB write speeds/ i beat everybody on everest in latency lol

if i had my memory at ddr500mhz it would be a different story to bad my cpu doesnt go past 1881mhz lol

but ive got my whole system for sale. some guy actually offered me 550$ lol!!! hahaha.... yea...

all im saying is the amd 64 3000 s754 and 939 are so close in price now days u mine as well go for 939.

but if u have a socket 754 system right now upgrading to 939 would be a waste of money. Unless you cant hold out till am2.

one other thing socketa (462) was a k7.. s754 is k8 even with a single channel memory its smokes the older k7's at the same clock speed and much lower.

Edited by wsrider

lol flewpastyou!! lol. well i was going to just go sckt 939 again with my next build but i guess i could just wait till am2 comes out, but im thinking all there new cpu's will be really expensive. and no value am2's out of the bunch..