Change Mode

** 2x7800GTX (v-modded & TEC-cooled) ** (w/ pics)

*Update*

Well, it looks like things are a little more serious than I thought. . . . I just discovered that the GPU and memory aren't getting any voltage. I tested the 6-pin connector location on the card and it's getting 12V. But I felt the voltage regulator heatsink and it wasn't hot like the other card that's working. I know this card was working before because I tested it right after doing the v-mod. So this problem occured somewhere between the time I installed the TEC-block and installing it in the case. . . .

Could it be that the card is just getting grounded out somehow? . . . Or would that kill the card? . . . I'm really not sure what exactly to try at this point. I hope I don't have to take my whole rig apart again. :(

My friend couldn't get sli to work with his two GTX 512s either... he sent an RMA request to EVGA

My friend couldn't get sli to work with his two GTX 512s either... he sent an RMA request to EVGA

But it seems at this point that the problem is the card, not the board. Even if there's issues getting SLI to work, still the card should be reporting values for GPU and memory voltage. I'm going to have to take it out and test it again to figure out what went wrong. :rolleyes: . . . .

On a more positive note, I managed to mod the BIOS of the working card and it's reporting temps below 31C. I found that it's running -2C idle, 20C load with 620MHZ core using 1.68V. That was nice :mrgreen: . . .

I haven't had a chance to mess with the memory yet. . . . So I guess that answers your question about a 110W pelt on the card. . . I personally feel it's enough for me. . . I just can't wait to get the second one up and running.

Well of course you know you'll have to take everything apart all the way down to the MB tray. J/K just seems that's what I always have to do.

Is there someway you can test just the card that isn't working. Can you switch the slots they are in . That would test the cards and the slots in onefellswoop.

Pardon my language but holy :filtered: lol, enough fans on the back there?

I'm one to talk, my computer overheats because I turned off the fans that were being noisey. :rofl2:

At least it doesn't get as cold as mine. I have'nt isolated the CPU block yet, so it condenses and shut my PC down. Today was the 4th time that happened, I spent to much time watching Anime that I forgot I had the cooler on for to much and condensed. then boom, shut down. I grabed a piece of toilet paper, dried of the sedes and booted up again. I'm waiting for the CPU to get to at least 30c before turning the cooler on again :rofl2:

At least it doesn't get as cold as mine. I have'nt isolated the CPU block yet, so it condenses and shut my PC down. Today was the 4th time that happened, I spent to much time watching Anime that I forgot I had the cooler on for to much and condensed. then boom, shut down. I grabed a piece of toilet paper, dried of the sedes and booted up again. I'm waiting for the CPU to get to at least 30c before turning the cooler on again :rofl2:

That's crazy! :yikes:. . . People kill their CPUs from condensation like that. . . . All it takes is a little bit of water to get under the CPU and it's done. :mrsgreen: . . . I would suggest not running that system anymore until you get it insulated nice and tight. . .

What are you running by the way, a pelt or phase?

Edited by Revivalist

That's crazy! :yikes:. . . People kill their CPUs from condensation like that. . . . All it takes is a little bit of water to get under the CPU and it's done. :mrsgreen: . . . I would suggest not running that system anymore until you get it insulated nice and tight. . .

What are you running by the way, a pelt or phase?

Nethere, I'm using a getto cooler. Its one of those water cooler that have the 10 gallon bottle on top, It was broken so I just adapted it to my water cooling. it gets as low as 9C on idle :mrgreen:

Edited by Luis_GT

I used to use super chilled water for cooling on occasion and I have had condensation shut down my computer four or five times. Atleast once or twice with condensation on the video cards and sockets and several times onthe cpu and socket. The worst that ever happened was a toasted mobo. the cpu and video cards survived just fine.

With that being said I wouldn't recommend anyone cooling to the point of condensation without the proper insulation . :P

But it seems at this point that the problem is the card, not the board. Even if there's issues getting SLI to work, still the card should be reporting values for GPU and memory voltage. I'm going to have to take it out and test it again to figure out what went wrong. :rolleyes: . . . .

When he tried the second card on it's own it wouldn't even boot windows.... he thinks the Dfi has something against him! :crash:

When he tried the second card on it's own it wouldn't even boot windows.... he thinks the Dfi has something against him! :crash:

Huh? :blink: . . . No, I think that something is wrong with the card. Someone suggested to me that the voltage regulator might be damaged. That makes sense because would explain why the GPU and memory are not receiving any power, even though the card is getting 12V at the PCI-E power connector. I'm going to have to remove the card, take off the voltage regulator heatsink-fan, and check the chips. Hopefully I can repair/replace the chips if necessary and not lose the card.

His second card is dead too... he thinks the dfi may have killed it.

What?!!! :rollie:

Nice set up Rev. I hope the voltage regulator is it, sounds like it is.

Must be a real pain to move anything in that box now :pullhair:

Thanks. . . . Does that mean the voltage regulator is pretty easy to replace? I thought it would be difficult. . . . Yeah, I know this case is a bit cramped to work with. But I still like it. :wub: (Kind of a love-hate thing. :rolleyes: )

you would be surprized what they take back.

My old 6800GT, I ripped the heatsinks off and the chips came off with them :pullhair:

I just put the stock cooler on it and sent it in and crossed my fingers, I still got a new card B)

I love BFG :wub: