Change Mode

** 2x7800GTX (v-modded & TEC-cooled) ** (w/ pics)

Well, I just finished a little project that I've been working on for a few weeks. . . . Yes, I know, I'm still in the 7800 stone ages. :P . . . But I'm hoping these puppies will still keep up with the big boys . . . . Here's some pics.

The top

Posted Image

Posted Image

The bottom

Posted Image

Edge on (with my lovely wife assisting me with her hands. :) )

Posted Image

Here’s the work I did on these things.

1. V-modded GPU and VDD. Also put voltage measuring molex

2. Installed Maze4-1 chrome waterblocks with 110W TECs

3. Fanned out some FrozenCPU Monster heatsinks and mounted them with Artic Silver Adhesive

4. Cleaned up the voltage regulator chips, put some Artic Silver 5, and mounted the heatsink back on with a 40mm fan.

Next, I checked to see that these things would actually fit in my rig together. . . .

Posted Image

Thanks God for the widely spaced PCI-E slots on the Expert! These babies barely fit over each other.

And here's the rig with everything installed. (Yes, I know it’s a jungle in there but I guess that what happens when you have four waterblocks in a regular full size case. :) )

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

The only hitch I have so far is that the system doesn’t pick them up in SLI. I enabled it in the BIOS and I tried plugging the monitor into the top card and there was no display at all. I have the monitor plugged into the the bottom card now and I can boot into Windows but still no SLI. I uninstalled and reinstalled my drivers (the 84.20 from Guru3D), but it still didn’t’ work. . . . . This is my first time doing SLI so I think I’m probably missing something. Can anyone help a noob? Thanks. :)

Edited by Revivalist

Thanks guys . . .

@ bigchrome - Well, I already tried turning on the TECs and one of the cards immediately dropped below 31C idle. I don't know how low because I still need to mod the BIOS to allow temps sensing below 31C. I also still need to setup MBM to monitor two cards now. . . . I'll bench as soon as I can figure out how to get them working in SLI. I also want to see how high I can clock them (GPU and memory), how much voltage they need, and the temps. . . Lots of fun in store tonight. :)

@ burned-ati - Yup, I decided to pair up a another 7800GTX with the one that I got for the price of a GT. . . The tubing took a few hours to setup. (I just worked through the night. :coffee:)

Edited by Revivalist

Very nice, Rev! Now let's see some benches :mrgreen:

Thanks. . . . Wow, so my case didn't scare you this time? :mrgreen:

I'm looking forward to benching. I just need to figure out how to actually get them going in SLI. I'm hoping someone with an Expert board will give me the tip I need.

Thanks. . . . Wow, so my case didn't scare you this time? :mrgreen:

I'm looking forward to benching. I just need to figure out how to actually get them going in SLI. I'm hoping someone with an Expert board will give me the tip I need.

I don't have time to be scared with your case, right now, my only fear is Condensation on my system and I'm also busy eagerly waiting for the step up on my card, Damn, I hate being 49 in que for the 7900GTX superclock.

I don't have time to be scared with your case, right now, my only fear is Condensation on my system and I'm also busy eagerly waiting for the step up on my card, Damn, I hate being 49 in que for the 7900GTX superclock.

I think I already cursed you on that :shifty:

do u not need the little bridge for sli anymore?

He has the bridge on if you look in the pictures with all the radio active tubes in them.

Nice looking setup Revivalist. :)

First I'd check that you have your molex power to each card.

Second did you enable SLI in the display properties?

Posted Image

Edited by Web Police

With my SLI-DR you have to move all the jumpers in between the 2 PCI-e slots :shrug:

I think this maybe be the cause, since if you don't move the jumpers to the sli position or have the card flipped around on other mobos and you install two pci-x cards the top card won't output video only the bottom one will.

Hey Reviv. I had trouble also getting that board to recognize my gtx cards in SLI. I actually found a post about it. Something about uninstalling teh driver and then installing both cards and then finally the driver, then enable SLI. The trick was that you had to start completely over with no cards or something like that. I'll look and see if I can find the link. Don't dispare it's evidently a known issue. Oh and there's only 1 or two drivers that will work with that board on SLI. Use the bridge, use all the power connectors, there's not jumbers on that board for SLI.

*Update*

Well, it looks like things are a little more serious than I thought. . . . I just discovered that the GPU and memory aren't getting any voltage. I tested the 6-pin connector location on the card and it's getting 12V. But I felt the voltage regulator heatsink and it wasn't hot like the other card that's working. I know this card was working before because I tested it right after doing the v-mod. So this problem occured somewhere between the time I installed the TEC-block and installing it in the case. . . .

Could it be that the card is just getting grounded out somehow? . . . Or would that kill the card? . . . I'm really not sure what exactly to try at this point. I hope I don't have to take my whole rig apart again. :(

Edited by Revivalist

but yeah man your setup is pretty nice, i see so much of sli these days im like yeah hes got sli lol. i thought before they were gonna make the 7900gt directX10 and then all the people who went sli were going to regret it but no.. also i see luis gt couldnt hang without that 7900gt hahaha, i would do the same if i could step up. if my brother(agent smith) pays 11bucks they said he can step up to 7800gtx but will take several weeks. although very much woth it! also what case are you running revivalist? looks very good!

but yeah man your setup is pretty nice, i see so much of sli these days im like yeah hes got sli lol. i thought before they were gonna make the 7900gt directX10 and then all the people who went sli were going to regret it but no.. also i see luis gt couldnt hang without that 7900gt hahaha, i would do the same if i could step up. if my brother(agent smith) pays 11bucks they said he can step up to 7800gtx but will take several weeks. although very much woth it! also what case are you running revivalist? looks very good!

you mean GTX, I wouldn't upgrade to the 7900GT since it performs similar to my 7800GTX, I'm getting the 7900GTX ECS now, not the supercloked one, 80 bucks over the normal 7900GTX is'nt worth for just 40mhz/160mhz so I'ma gonna only pay 46 bucks for the 7900GTX plus 24.99 shipping.