Sign in to follow this  
tito

Suse 10 now running, but where is it?

Hi, I partitioned my hard drive into 2, I installed XP on one partition. I proceeded to install Linux however I dont recall being asked to choose a partition. It just installed. It works fine, when Iboot a Suse boot screen asks me to choose an OS (windows/Linux), both boot fine (although SuSE fails on 2 lines of startup, this hasnt affected anything as far as I know). In SuSE When i go to computer > File System, which I presume is the hard drive, it shows me a load of folders (root etc) and one folder is called windows, this is the name I gave to my windows partition, inside this folder are two folders, C and D, the letters of my two partitions as shown in XP, inside C is the root of my C drive as shown in windows. When i boot windows however no trace of Linux appears on the windows prtition, and the Linux partition is empty.

Where the hell is Linux?

Windows indeed is too stupid to see Linux.

When in windows, do not touch, or do anything to the partition that windows claims is emty. That is where Linux is, and messing with can potentialy break both Linux and windows.

So why can linux see only one partition? And why are my windows files located in a sub-directory of the linux ones (I think).

When I open the 'file system' is that the same a accessing the root of the HD? If so which partition?

tito, I've only been using SUSE for a couple months and recommend and think this book is great...

SUSE Linux 10 Unleashed

The link there gives every Chapter and what it contains so you can see how in depth it is. I've read it twice so far and have found things in there that you can't find online. It's really made me a lot more knowledgable about Linux in general and SUSE in particularly.

Just ordered the book smb--you could read parts of it on line with the one seller.

I use Dogpile as a search engine-- and the 11 th or so listing had the beginning of each chapter available for checking it out..

38 bucks and some change delivered by Wednesday March 1st.

Thanks for the heads up..

:P

So why can linux see only one partition? And why are my windows files located in a sub-directory of the linux ones (I think).

When I open the 'file system' is that the same a accessing the root of the HD? If so which partition?

I thought you said it showed two partitions C and D in the mount point "windows"? :shrug:

Linux parttions are much more locical then the lame C D E layout of windows.

Linux lays out it's partitions according to the drive they are on.

For instance the first drive is hda the first partition on that drive is 1 the second is 2 and so on.

So you have

hda1, hda2, hda3....

The secong drive is hdb partitons in the logical order 1 2 3....

hdb1, hdb2, hdb3...

The mount points are desiginated by the user or system if you let it lay out the partitioning.

hda1 is usually the root partion. So when are looking at the system files you are looking at the root of the drive.

Windows simply does not have the filesystem drivers necessary to view or write to any filesystem besides it's own. While this makes sense if it was the only OS out there, the fact that there are other OS's just makes Windows (and Microsoft) look ignorant.

AH, now I get it.

I thought you said it showed two partitions C and D in the mount point "windows"?

No, If I go to filesystem>windows> it shows Folders named C and D (the names of the partitions according to XP)

So how do I access other partitions?

Just ordered the book smb--you could read parts of it on line with the one seller.

I use Dogpile as a search engine-- and the 11 th or so listing had the beginning of each chapter available for checking it out..

38 bucks and some change delivered by Wednesday March 1st.

Thanks for the heads up..

:P

You're welcome sir. :)

I'm telling ya, after reading this book, you will know more about SUSE than almost anyone from any forum. It has it all.

Not just that though. It gave me the confidence to just do things and that made me learn more instead of being afraid to push a button. :)

There will probably still be questions I might have in the future but at least I can say that I didn't try to research it first before asking. :)

I bought mine at Barnes and Nobles which probably cost more than you guys are going to pay for it but it's worth every penny imo. :)

Ok, I am ridiculously confused with the partitions. When I go to fileSystem>windows>C> it shows the contents of my windows partiton. Does this mean tey are on the same partition?

Ok, I am ridiculously confused with the partitions. When I go to fileSystem>windows>C> it shows the contents of my windows partiton. Does this mean tey are on the same partition?

No, things can be mounted anywhere in linux. I could make a directory called "bob" in my home folder, and mount my mp3 player on it, and one called "bob2" and mount my second hard drive on it.