56k Hell

Guest Jevor-Wonder

Guest Jevor-Wonder

I currently have a 56k modem. It will only connect (at all times of the day) at 28.8 kbps. I have tweeked and updated my modem but nothing seems to help. I am at my wits end. I have tried to attach strings, toggle between 57600 and 115200, and download a control center for my modem. I have a U.S. Robotics 56k Fax Ext. PnP modem and it gives me the option on the control center to adjust the Bandwidth Download and Upload but it won't allow me to save the changes. My Bandwidth Download is currently at 25 kbps and my Upload is at 46 kbps. There is a link on this website to tweek the modem, but it is only for cable and DSL. I also have my test results but i don't know how to attach them to the page just yet so if someone could instruct me to do that i will be glad to share them with you. I also contacted my ISP to see if the phone lines were old but they told me that they offer DSL so the lines should be 56k compatible. I have been trying for weeks to fix this problem but i have had no luck. Someone, please please please help me.

There is about 90% chance that you wont be able to do anything to improve your speed. Most likely the problem is caused by your phone lines. In your post you mentioned that you called your ISP. An ISP hardly has any ways of determining whether you have phone line problems or not. Just because they offer DSL doesnt mean that you regular dial up modem will work fine.

Phone Line factors can include the following:

- Line noise (check for signal to noise ratio)

- Lower than usual or higher than usual voltage

- Your distance from the phone company

- Digital converters installed in the area by the phone company (if these are present, you cant do anything about raising your speed)

- Too many digital to analog and analog to digital conversions

- Too many switches

Then there is always a 10% that the problem could be with your modem, ISP or configuration.

Try using a different dial up number

Make sure that your phone cord is less than 10 ft and is not going through any splitters or surge protectors

Try the following init strings:

- S32=34

- S32=98

I would call the phone company and have them send a tech to your house to check for signal to noise ratio and data transmission.

Edited by aeroman10

And if your phone lines are like everywhere I've ever lived, that speed will drop during bad weather too. If your lines freeze, get too wet, or if it's too windy the speed can drop considerably. The best I could get during storms when I lived in Flagstaff, Arizona was about 14.4. The rest of the time it was about 33.6.

One thing I did back in my dialup days really helped. But it :filtered: off the poor phone guy that came to fix my problem. I was convinced that my problem was noise in the phone drop (the line coming up to the house), so I cut it. When they put up a new one my speed went from 14.4 to 38.8, so it helped. But if you go that far have a good story ready, cause it'l make the phone guy really mad if you live in an area with aerial cable. And that wire is technically the phone co's wire, so they might get mad too, but the guy that helped me just put up a new one.

One thing I did back in my dialup days really helped. But it :filtered: off the poor phone guy that came to fix my problem. I was convinced that my problem was noise in the phone drop (the line coming up to the house), so I cut it. When they put up a new one my speed went from 14.4 to 38.8, so it helped. But if you go that far have a good story ready, cause it'l make the phone guy really mad if you live in an area with aerial cable. And that wire is technically the phone co's wire, so they might get mad too, but the guy that helped me just put up a new one.

Youre correct. It is extremely difficult to get the phone company to come out for a repair, especially when they know its for an internet related problem. They just dont care, if you phone works OK and youre able to call others and receive calls, they dont really care about data transmission unless you get DSL from them or the speed falls below their guarantee mark which in some cases is only 14.4 K

Guest Jevor-Wonder

Ok, I'm thinking about cutting the phone line. lol. I'm having a little trouble developing a story to be able to tell but i will try the init strings first. The guy that had this computer before me said that he was never able to get above a 28.8 connection either. I asked around and was told that a U.S. Robotics was, in fact, a pretty good modem. There is an option on the USR Control Center to Sacrifice Upload Stream (which I seem to have plenty of) and add to my Download Stream. I tried this and still no changes. I thank everyone for their suggestions and if anyone else has another suggestion that i should try I would love to hear it.

Thanks again,

Jevor

I haven't had dial-up for a few years now but to the best of my recollection, 46K up and 25K down is pretty respectable from a 56K modem. The 56K designation represents the maximum performance your card has been graded at on a perfect system with no real-life signal degradation. If you can achieve the maximum speeds you've posted, I doubt it's your local phone lines or your machine's configuration. You're more likely at the mercy of the weather, traffic and the relative health of the other networks you have to pass through whenever you page a distant site.

Guest Jevor-Wonder

My mom lives not even 2 miles away from me and she is able to connect at 50.6 kbps. She swears up and down it is b/c she has a better processor and she has a better modem. We both have a 56k. I was under the impression that all 56k are pretty much the same. Is it possible if she has a newer modem if hers could connect faster than mine?

Guest MsJazzMaven

undefined :rolleyes: I also have a 56K modem and live in Bergen County, New Jersey. I am able to connect at 49.333K. What protocol does your modem support? If it supports the V.92 protocol and your ISP has a compatible phone number, you might consider changing your access number settings. B) The only other alternative may be to use your computer (online) at an hour when the lines are less congested, i.e. when fewer people are using the Internet or their telephones. :snooze: I hope this helps. :note1: Good luck! :cheers::rocks:

undefined :rolleyes: I also have a 56K modem and live in Bergen County, New Jersey. I am able to connect at 49.333K. What protocol does your modem support? If it supports the V.92 protocol and your ISP has a compatible phone number, you might consider changing your access number settings. B) The only other alternative may be to use your computer (online) at an hour when the lines are less congested, i.e. when fewer people are using the Internet or their telephones. :snooze: I hope this helps. :note1: Good luck! :cheers::rocks:

Or you can lower the modem settings and force a more stabler connection by using init strings. So you will connect at a lower speed but the connection will be more stable and you may end up browsing faster than what you have connected at previously.

I have tried 6 ISP's. I also have dial-up. Some are better than others.

I'm connected at 52000 and I live in the 'boonies'.....no cable available!

(there are 3 local numbers for my ISP to dial for me and they continually

switch each time I log on)

Both my parents (1 block away) and I both have 56K and the same ISP. Theirs connects at 28 - mine at either 48 or 49.3 - it is your ISP / techs there that give you that speed ...

When they got a new computer, I had a problem reconnecting them to the ISP - once solved, on the phone with the tech, I said, hey, wait , it is only connected at 28 ! He said well, best we can do, we will be getting new lines soon ... (still waiting for an improvement)

Check this out...

I have a new house and on one line i can connect at like 48, but on the other line i get about 26.

I called the phone company and they tried to pretend it was something i was doing...i said all i am doing it putting the phone line into the plug right next to the other one...

She check my line and said everyting was fine...

So i got Directway from direct TV, and its awesome, unless you wanna play games on it.

I've never had anything but 56k. I had an older PC with a US Robotics 56k internal modem. A long time ago when I was with Juno, I'd connect at anywhere from 28.8 to 33.3. When I had Alta Vista, my connection speed was slightly better, consistently. Lycos was about the same as Alta Vista. (Free ISP's :) )

Then I just happened to be surfing the US Robotics site one day and noticed that they had a driver upgrade for my modem! :woot: My speed went up to 49,333, consistently, and every once in awhile it would hit 50,666. Unfortunately, US Robotics no longer offers that particular upgrade.....but read on:

Now I have a new PC, using PeoplePC as my ISP. I usually connect at 50.6kbps, but have noticed that sometimes I'll connect at 31, or 34, or 38, or 46..... Doesn't happen very often, but when it does, I usually just disconnect then reconnect and I have my 50.6 back.

In conclusion, while I agree that all the other factors with phone lines etc. are valid points, the connection you obtain from your ISP is just as important, as are the drivers you have installed for your modem. I went from 28.8 to 50.6 on the same phone lines.......

Now, depending on which model of US Robotics winmodem you have installed, they are offering a free V92 upgrade for select models. Find out if you qualify here:

http://www.usr.com/v92/v-qualify.asp

Hope it helps, -kd5-

Edited by kd5