Sign in to follow this  
psicon

a few Gnome questions

I have EduBuntu running on a spare computer for my kids, its a derivative of Ubuntu with a bunch of educational software included. I am not terribly familiar with Gnome, where do i go for power management options? I want to turn off power management so it will quit killing the video.

Is there a centralized control center in GNome?

Thanks,

-myk

In the taskbar, I believe the third menu there is a control center thingy. It doesn't seem to do much, but it's there. :lol:

I am quickly learning that gnome is extreely limited, and the things you can change are not easily found.

I don't understand their philosophy. They claim they are trying to make it simple for the brain dead, yet seem to have done nothing but make it difficult, because people are used to having configuration ulitilities that are functional, have many options, and easily found.

The whole interface seems to be hodge podged together by a few stoned kids. :laughing:

I have EduBuntu running on a spare computer for my kids, its a derivative of Ubuntu with a bunch of educational software included. I am not terribly familiar with Gnome, where do i go for power management options? I want to turn off power management so it will quit killing the video.

Is there a centralized control center in GNome?

Thanks,

-myk

In regular Ubuntu there is a power management option by going to system->Preferences->Power Management. I am not sure if the menu is the same in Edubuntu. If you have anymore trouble finding it go the Ubuntu forums and post in the community chat section and I am sure there is someone there that can lead you in the right direction.

In the taskbar, I believe the third menu there is a control center thingy. It doesn't seem to do much, but it's there. :lol:

I am quickly learning that gnome is extreely limited, and the things you can change are not easily found.

I don't understand their philosophy. They claim they are trying to make it simple for the brain dead, yet seem to have done nothing but make it difficult, because people are used to having configuration ulitilities that are functional, have many options, and easily found.

The whole interface seems to be hodge podged together by a few stoned kids. :laughing:

Are you calling me brain dead because I prefer Gnome Bruce? I am just intelectually impared, that is all. :help: :laughing:

think i may have found it. Looks like gnome-power-manager package is not installed by default.

thanks,

-myk

I'm glad for you, psicon.

Since joining these forums I've seen a demonstration of posts that are definitely not of open source ideals by any means. I used to thikn it was a nice person but now I am sickened by them to be honest.

It seems you have to not only get rid of Windows but also use the exact progs and DE's of a certian *nix distro or you will be furthered ridiculed by some members here that know it all and their decisions are final almost as if they are Linus themselves.

That's not open source from the way I've always read it and followed it.

They can't find something they are used to and they whine and complain how it sucks and is useless but let anyone else come in here from the Windows world and expect the same environment and this person will be the first to slam them and make them feel smaller than his e-thingy

I've tried Gnome and wouldn't mind using instead of most WM's but it's not for me. I certainly wouldn't cut anyone down for using it. If it's not Windows than it works for me. I like Window Maker, Sawfish and KDE and there will always be some snob that will cut them down also but like mentioned before, that's not the open source way.

Don't let trolls predict what you enjoy and like my friend. :)

Edited by smb

I haven't cut anyone down.

The things I stated are basiclly trhe very things the gnome developers claim they are trying to do.

They claim they are trying to make things easier for the people who who are "confused" by to many options. Their ideas not mine.

They will remove even more features in the next release.

Gnome GUI had the potential to be the best, they are taking it backwards.

If you do not like my ideas, opinions and preferences you need not read them.

Never claimed I knew everything, in fact I often say I consider myself to be a novice.

As far as gnome goes, well it sucks. That is my opinion, take it or leave it. But you certainly don't have to like it.,

There are folks who love to poke fun at KDE also. It is their prerogative to do so.

If you think people who have strong opinions and ideas are the opposite of "open source" then you truly do not understand what it is, what it means, and why it exists.

It's about choice, and the freedom to choose. What one chooses isn't necessarily what the next chooses.

I could really care less whether people think I am smart, stupid or indifferent. I am who I am, I haven't changed to please anyone other then myself. ;) I certainly don't intend to start doing so now.

So in short if I sicken you then I would recommend some Pepto Bismol if you intend to read my ever so sickening posts. :laughing:

I cant saythat i necessarilly enjoy Gnome, but i want to learn to use it so i can make a better-educated decision. While i don't see it replacing KDE for me, i want to squeeze everything i can out of it and see if i can get it the way i'd like it.. I can still use my same programs either on KDE or GNome (or openbox too, for that matter).. I cant stand the way GNome will not allow you to nest menus like in KDE, or Windows, or fluxbox, or.... Maybe there is a way, but it does seem like you are very limited as to what you can do. Perhaps someone here who is well versed in GNome, dare i say a Gnome-zealot, will come through and educate us as to how to customize Gnome and get things going the way you like.. Most of what i have found to customize gnome have been hacks, to say the least. But, it works for the kids system... I was able to connect to my other computer onthe network, connect to a networked printer, get them online, install several games and applications, and do just about whatever i need. It's just way different, and feels odd. I have to agree with Bruce regarding useabiliy being the primary objective, because it seems that it just isnt there...

Maybe given more time.. KDE was just easy to dive into right off the bat.

-myk

I've been running it for about a week Myk.

I am installing 10.1 beta 5 now and chose the gnome GUI as my preference.

I too am trying to figure out easy way of doing things, and like you have had to revert to the type of hacks we used 5 and 6 years ago change the most basic things.

It isn't too bad actually, if you don't mind being stuck with the way they want you to have it.

Xgl and Compiz is what is swinging me towards gnome right now.

My wife has expressed interest in it after seeing Xgl and Compiz.

She uses KDE right now and has for more then a year. I know if I switched her over to gnome, I would be hacking a lot of files to get things changed for her, because the simplist of options and utiliites just don't exist.

I actually wouldn't consider it a "newbie" friendly interface, the very thing the gnome developers think they are doing. ;)

In the mean time, I am toying with it, until a kde-window-decorator is released for KDE.

First off, lmfao. Guilty conscience maybe??? I may not have even meant you at all and unless I am asked I was asked out front I won't ever say or cut anyone down because we all have the right to our opinions and thoughts.

I haven't cut anyone down.

The things I stated are basiclly trhe very things the gnome developers claim they are trying to do.

Is that a good excuse for you when Window users migrate from MS to Linux and expect the same in return?

They claim they are trying to make things easier for the people who who are "confused" by to many options. Their ideas not mine.

That's the way they want to move. So what. You have money on this that you may lose and have a reason to be so upset? Can you make anything better?

They will remove even more features in the next release.

Again, so? It's still opensource and should be embraced. Use it or not and like a distro we're all working towards the same goal. If you don't like it don't use it and stop whining about it when certain good members post about it. Instead of whining, use Google and figure it out.

Gnome GUI had the potential to be the best, they are taking it backwards.

In your opinion. Well and mine too but so? Have you contacted the developers and told them your great ideas? If not, just like in not voting...:filtered: as you have no right to say anything.

If you do not like my ideas, opinions and preferences you need not read them.

Because I disagree with your opinion doesn't mean I am right and you are wrong and vice versa. I'm not saying I am right and you are wrong.

Never claimed I knew everything, in fact I often say I consider myself to be a novice.

Never said you did.

As far as gnome goes, well it sucks. That is my opinion, take it or leave it. But you certainly don't have to like it.,

I don't much like Gnome either but I like the member very much that uses it. I just don't say so when other people here that I respect very much say they like it and talk about it. You're there always stating your opinion and here I am stating mine. :)

There are folks who love to poke fun at KDE also. It is their prerogative to do so.

Agreed. And?

If you think people who have strong opinions and ideas are the opposite of "open source" then you truly do not understand what it is, what it means, and why it exists.

Strong opinions differ from an all out combat against Gnome which you choose to do and have expressed many times over. I understand open source very well. It also means that whiners that don't like a certain way things are going have the right to change it. Try whining like you do at a Usenet and see how far you get with them and you'll see what I mean.

It's about choice, and the freedom to choose. What one chooses isn't necessarily what the next chooses.

I cannot say how much we are on the same page on this one.

I could really care less whether people think I am smart, stupid or indifferent. I am who I am, I haven't changed to please anyone other then myself. ;) I certainly don't intend to start doing so now.

It's not about intelligence. The greatest people may not be the smartest but have a way with words. Seeing a lot of your posts and how you want to sway people from Windows to Linux on this forum you do care what people think.

So in short if I sicken you then I would recommend some Pepto Bismol if you intend to read my ever so sickening posts. :laughing:

Nah, incase you haven't noticed by now I just ignore you and post around you but something bothered me all of a sudden. I used to think you knew what you were talking about but after reading so many of your posts I understand better now. :)

Edited by smb

And so you have had your personall insult session, I hope you feel better about yourself now.

Life goes on. :lol:

Nah, it wasn't personal at all. Just an opinion from objective form. :)

You replied to me so I had to reply back is all.

I feel good about myself no matter what.You're just misinformed is all. I don't need to cut down someone I don't know on the net to help my self esteem. It's all good. :D

Maybe you might think about it though next time you slam someone that doesn't give you all the info you might need or whatever the case is when you feel the need to cut someone down for not posting correctly instead of just ignoring their post. You always talk of security but still use FF instead of Opera. Like you cut down MS users for not using Linux for security, how would you like it if we went toe to toe with browsers and the fact that Opera has no exploits but FF has many and a couple for a year now? ;) let me know when you're ready. :D

Funny how you immediately thought I meant you when I never said so though. :D

Edited by smb

Nice. Talk about biting the hand that feeds you. Gotten a bit too big for your britches, smb? If it wasn't for Bruce telling it like it is, you wouldn't even know your way around a Linux box. Here's a sample--one of dozens of your earlier posts:

http://pcpitstop.invisionzone.com/index.ph...7entry1099467

:rolleyes:

Nah, it wasn't personal at all. Just an opinion from objective form. :)

You replied to me so I had to reply back is all.

I feel good about myself no matter what.You're just misinformed is all. I don't need to cut down someone I don't know on the net to help my self esteem. It's all good. :D

Maybe you might think about it though next time you slam someone that doesn't give you all the info you might need or whatever the case is when you feel the need to cut someone down for not posting correctly instead of just ignoring their post. You always talk of security but still use FF instead of Opera. Like you cut down MS users for not using Linux for security, how would you like it if we went toe to toe with browsers and the fact that Opera has no exploits but FF has many and a couple for a year now? ;) let me know when you're ready. :D

Funny how you immediately thought I meant you when I never said so though. :D

what the heck are you talking about, these are linux help threads and its not intended for off topic disgussions, cant you see that these threads help people :lol:

Nice. Talk about biting the hand that feeds you. Gotten a bit too big for your britches, smb? If it wasn't for Bruce telling it like it is, you wouldn't even know your way around a Linux box. Here's a sample--one of dozens of your earlier posts:

http://pcpitstop.invisionzone.com/index.ph...33;entry1099467

LMFAO!!!!

I know what I ask or know and don't. I also know what others ask and don't know like you that I've helped and others that don't ask in the correct manner and are harangued for it. :D

I won't delve deeper into it unless Bruce himself asks me personally for my opinion on him as it wouldn't be fair to him. I wouldn't like that happening to me and I will give him the same respect in return.

Just because someone helps you in a couple questions doesn't mean they are a saint. lmao. I promise to never ask another help question here as long as I live ok? :D

You can all come to his highness aid but I tell it like it is. I've had a couple PM's from people that agree with me and that's as far as I will go. I am not going to make this a cutdown to a member but I say it as it is. Sorry if you can't handle it. ;)

Edited by smb

what the heck are you talking about, these are linux help threads and its not intended for off topic disgussions, cant you see that these threads help people :lol:

:D

Yea, I'm trying to help people also. :)

I was replied to so I replied also what am I supposed to do? I never mentioned his name. I was only replying when I was talked to is all. :)

http://pcpitstop.invisionzone.com/index.ph...33;entry1099467

ummmmm ok I just now clicked your link. Ummm errrrmmmm ok then. :rolleyes:

You are an ingrate, smb. I'm done with the likes of you.

But it's ok to have people cut down xXenXx though and troll his Gnome threads. :rolleyes:

But it's ok to have people cut down xXenXx though and troll his Gnome threads. :rolleyes:

Haha you have no idea how that made me smile when I read it. lol Edited by xXenXx

so, how bout that Gnome 2.14??

just trying to clear the air a bit :)

I am using it in Dapper and it is a lot faster than the old Gnome. It works great with XGL/Compiz.