A router should perform a function called Network Address Translation. This basically shows one IP to the outside network, so your inner network IP's are not made public. It is a security feature on most routers.

You cannot hide an IP address on any network. IP addresses are like phone numbers. Could you call walmart if they hid their phone number from you? You can use a proxy to disguise your ip. This is basically a server that forwards your communications to other destinations and back to you. It's using it's IP to communicate for you. There are plenty of annonymous surfing services/softwares out there. But make no mistake about it, if someone wants to find you, they will no matter what service or software you are using.

Edited by DynamicTech

Depends on what you mean by hiding.

If by hiding you mean ghosting your IP so that nobody can scan you, well it's a half yes half no answer.

Your router doesn't hide your IP, but what it does do is close all incoming ports. To the outside world, a good router will make it appear like the address is switched off or not physically connected.

If by hiding you mean ghosting your IP so that nobody can track what places you visit, what places you are connected to...well that's not exactly fit for discussion here.

Edited by inedibleshoe
  • 2 months later...

i wana hide my ip too be safe how whould i do that? i just got a d-link di-24 router and it has a firewall.

Technically, there is no way to hide you ip address. A ip address is like your home address, if you do not give your address to the water company they cannot supply you with water. The same way goes with ip addresses. If you had no ip address you would have no access to the net. Even if you use a proxy or An anonymous ip system, an advanced packet sniffer could detect the proxy and re-route and trace back to the originating ip address. But, if you wanted to you could use a proxy to be remotely secure.. But, not anonymous... The notion of being secure and completely anonymous is crazy... If you want to be non existent, disconnect your pc from the net.

You can scramble your IP but I'm pretty sure it is illegal.

:huh: well if its not legal..lets not go over it here please...

I'v run proxies many times..not sure what just what gordesky thinks they need to hide from tho..its all been rather well explained about IPs a couple times already....

My IP is 206.148.112.182 for now...will change a bit next time I dial out..or change dialup ISPs..I use 3 of them just to make sure I can find my way back if one or another goes down... :lol: v

:huh: well if its not legal..lets not go over it here please...

I'v run proxies many times..not sure what just what gordesky thinks they need to hide from tho..its all been rather well explained about IPs a couple times already....

My IP is 206.148.112.182 for now...will change a bit next time I dial out..or change dialup ISPs..I use 3 of them just to make sure I can find my way back if one or another goes down... :lol: v

Dont worry, I wasnt going to write a tutorial! In fact I have no idea how.

You can find me here. I keep my credit card details and my passwords on my un-passworded desktop, in a text document, for easy access.

Have fun kiddies!

Funny, Shoe, Funny.

Using the loopback address.

How abotu this one???

Here