Change Mode

**Help -- Which of these 2GB kits do you think is best?**

So he says! But that's 2T obviously....

That would still be amazing. . . . Is that the friend with the Expert and PC4800 RAM? . . . Could you do me a favor and verify if he is doing that with 1GB or 2GB? . . . Thanks.

The gamer edition is nice, but they won't overclock as high as the DDR 500.

Well they're both DDR500. Someone told me that they're the same RAM with just a different heat spreader. But I'm starting to wonder after coming across these two reviews from the same reviewer testing both kits . . .

OCZ Gold PC4000(OCZ5002048ELGE-K)

OCZ Gold PC4000 EL Gamer Ext. XTC

It looks like the Gamer edition might not clock as well as the regular Gold. . . . But notice at the top of the review page that the Gamer was tested with a San Deigo core and the regular Gold was tested on a Venice core. . . . Doesn't the Venice core have a better memory controller? But he says "My San Diego 3700+ has a good integrated memory controller and has been double checked to make sure that it is not a source of bottleneck." . . . If that's the case, then I guess the regular Gold might be better. Either that or he just got lucky with some really good sticks for the regular Gold. He does say, "The best UCCC so far is still the original Gold PC4000 with a date code of 525." . . . I doubt those are around anymore since the RAM has been out for at least 4 months now. . . .

Hmm, which to get . . . . decisions, decisions. :huh:

Edited by Revivalist

I've ordered the XTC kit, I'll let you know how it goes! B)

P.S. I'll talk to my friend tomorrow to verify he was using 2 gigs, although I'm almost certain he was. He can't remove the last stick anyway because of his Zalman heatsink...

Edited by bigchrome

I've ordered the XTC kit, I'll let you know how it goes! B)

P.S. I'll talk to my friend tomorrow to verify he was using 2 gigs, although I'm almost certain he was. He can't remove the last stick anyway because of his Zalman heatsink...

Thanks . . . I was going to order the same kit today until I heard about your friend. I'll be waiting eagerly to hear the news. But honestly, I won't get my hopes up too high because it's really unheard of to hit 300MHz HTT with 2GB, and judging from his timings (2.5-4-4-10) that's the exact setting for only 1GB. Edited by Revivalist

Thanks . . . I was going to order the same kit today until I heard about your friend. I'll be waiting eagerly to hear the news. But honestly, I won't get my hopes up too high because it's really unheard of to hit 300MHz HTT with 2GB, and judging from his timings (2.5-4-4-10) that's the exact setting for only 1GB.

not unheard of. there are new micron chips rev f that are doing 300+

not unheard of. there are new micron chips rev f that are doing 300+

That's true, I should have specified that it's unheard of with 4x512Mb of PC4800.

Yeah, I just heard about that stuff. But I think it's going to be pretty expensive (at least $300) . . .

That would still be amazing. . . . Is that the friend with the Expert and PC4800 RAM? . . . Could you do me a favor and verify if he is doing that with 1GB or 2GB? . . . Thanks.

Well they're both DDR500. Someone told me that they're the same RAM with just a different heat spreader. But I'm starting to wonder after coming across these two reviews from the same reviewer testing both kits . . .

OCZ Gold PC4000(OCZ5002048ELGE-K)

OCZ Gold PC4000 EL Gamer Ext. XTC

It looks like the Gamer edition might not clock as well as the regular Gold. . . . But notice at the top of the review page that the Gamer was tested with a San Deigo core and the regular Gold was tested on a Venice core. . . . Doesn't the Venice core have a better memory controller? But he says "My San Diego 3700+ has a good integrated memory controller and has been double checked to make sure that it is not a source of bottleneck." . . . If that's the case, then I guess the regular Gold might be better. Either that or he just got lucky with some really good sticks for the regular Gold. He does say, "The best UCCC so far is still the original Gold PC4000 with a date code of 525." . . . I doubt those are around anymore since the RAM has been out for at least 4 months now. . . .

Hmm, which to get . . . . decisions, decisions. :huh:

Ok got it now. I thought you had some others on there that were PC 3200. On the note of the gold gamer and regular gold, I don't see much differences in them except price. However had heard a lot about the regular gold, and they are a little cheaper.! Looks like the same specs anyway!

Ok got it now. I thought you had some others on there that were PC 3200. On the note of the gold gamer and regular gold, I don't see much differences in them except price. However had heard a lot about the regular gold, and they are a little cheaper.! Looks like the same specs anyway!

That's true. Expect they just tightend the TRP one notch and shaved off a half volt. . . . But yeah, other than that, it's the same. I confirmed it today in the OCZ forums. It seems that the difference between those two reviews is simply "luck of the draw."

Looks like I am gonna be going after a new 2GB now too Revive...

This helps a lot....

http://www.anandtech.com/memory/showdoc.aspx?i=2676&p=1

I am thinking those Ballistix could get me around 2.7 1:1, which would be awesome for me. Much better than 2.79 with DDR466 I would assume......

I would guess that 2.79GHz CPU speed with 233MHz RAM would be all-around faster than 2.70GHz CPU speed with 270MHz RAM. . . . The reason is because CPU speed is king. High RAM speed is just icing on the cake. . . . The difference between those settings is almost 1GHz CPU difference but only 40MHz (or DDR80) difference in RAM speed.

I wonder if having 512mb of video memory illiminates game lag associated with only having 1GB of system memory......

I have never used that much video memory before so I don't know. Got that SLI going yet Revivalist?

I would assume that it doesn't help that much, if you do have it going, or you wouldn't be hunting a 2GB kit. Maybe 512mbx2 in SLI would do it? They are supposed to be coming out with a 512mb 7800GT, that's why I am asking. The 7800GT will be plenty of power for me when I get another for SLI, but if I could switch back to a really fast 1GB system kit, and have 512MB, or 1GB of video memory, I am thinking it might have the same effect, in games.

Also, does anyone know why, Battlefield 2 is using so much of a page file, even with 2GB of RAM?

When I am running it, I have 1GB of system memory availible, and my page file is 1.6GB!!!!

Would turning the page file down force the game to use more system memory? And by doing so, would it give me a performance boost? It is at something like 3.2 or 3.6GB max right now. I have never seen it go over 1.8GB of usage though. I think x64 is supposed to handle virtual memory in 64 bit correct? I think I read that at microsoft. But does it still do this if it running a 32 bit app?

I feel like, I know so much.... yet, know so little..... :pullhair:

@ ronniecoleman - Wow, those are awesome results. . . . Which ones are those exactly, the Gold or the Platinums EB?

@ Agent Smith - Like the old saying goes . . . The more you know, the more you realize you don't know. ;) . . .

Let me share some stuff concerning your questions. . . .

I wonder if having 512mb of video memory illiminates game lag associated with only having 1GB of system memory......

I have never used that much video memory before so I don't know. Got that SLI going yet Revivalist?

I would assume that it doesn't help that much, if you do have it going, or you wouldn't be hunting a 2GB kit. Maybe 512mbx2 in SLI would do it? They are supposed to be coming out with a 512mb 7800GT, that's why I am asking. The 7800GT will be plenty of power for me when I get another for SLI, but if I could switch back to a really fast 1GB system kit, and have 512MB, or 1GB of video memory, I am thinking it might have the same effect, in games.

I just read a review somewhere (I can't remember where) that said that 512MB on the video card will not "make up" for the need for more RAM. They didn't explain why but here's my little hyphothesis about the whole thing . . .

I believe the RAM (or pagefile) is loading the entire map of the game, including what you see and what you don't see on the display. So when you turn up the textures, filters, etc. . . then the entire map becomes more complex and therefore you need more system memory to hold it and make it accessible. Otherwise some of it will have to go to the HDD page file and that's where you can start having problems with stuttering. . . . Meanwhile, I believe the video memory only contains the graphical information that's about to be rendered on the screen (in other words, only the stuff you see, not the entire map). So if my theory is correct, then this is what I predict:

More video memory will only help with frames per second, it will not eliminate the problems with stuttering. If you have more video memory, then you can have better resolution, filtering, etc. on your screen without the FPS dropping (provided the GPU can keep up), but you will still have stuttering because most of the map is still in the pagefile, not the RAM.

So looking at it the other way, adding more system RAM also should not help much with FPS. The only time the system RAM would help with FPS is if the graphical data being processed and put on the screen is more than what the video memory can hold. I think that is where the Graphics Aperture Size comes in. That's basically telling the system how much system RAM you're willing to let be used as video RAM. And of course, it's not going to be as effective as having more onboard RAM right on the video card.. . .

This seems to be consistent with the following review. It shows a very minor change in FPS by upgrading to 2GB (assuming the same resolution and RAM speed). Honestly, I wondered why they would even expect much change. You'll probably notice that most reviews that discuss 2GB versus 1GB will mainly talk about things like games running "smoother," easier switching to the desktop, faster map loading, less stuttering, and the ability to add more textures, filtering, etc. . . . .

It could be that the only reason there was any improvement in FPS at all is because of something to do with the video memory starving the GPU. In that case, it seems that there is some Graphics Aperture being used (in other words, the video card using some system RAM for graphical information about to be rendered on the screen) so adding more system memory helped. On a side note, I think that also makes sense considering that nVidia just doubled the video RAM (from 256MB to 512MB) without having to come out with another faster GPU. I would guess that means that the video memory is starving GPUs these days and perhaps system memory is making up for it. I really don’t know for sure. . . .

Also, does anyone know why, Battlefield 2 is using so much of a page file, even with 2GB of RAM?

I guess the maps are just very large and detailed. Although, some suspect that it has a "memory leak" and just doesn’t make proper use of the RAM.

Would turning the page file down force the game to use more system memory? And by doing so, would it give me a performance boost? It is at something like 3.2 or 3.6GB max right now. I have never seen it go over 1.8GB of usage though.

That's a great idea. You could try it and let us know. :)

I think x64 is supposed to handle virtual memory in 64 bit correct? I think I read that at microsoft. But does it still do this if it running a 32 bit app?

I believe it does. That's why Far Cry has a 64-bit version. Otherwise those registries in the CPU are not utilized. (Whatever that means!) . . .

As for my SLI setup, it's still in the works. I already received the 2nd chrome Maze4-1, another 110W TEC, insulation material, RAM heatsinks, and some extra Tygon tubing. I should be getting the 2nd 7800GT today. I think I'll try them out on air in SLI first to make sure they work together ok. . . . Then hopefully this weekend I'll have time to volt-mod them, insultate them, and put the TEC-waterblocks on them. . . I can't wait. . . Oh yeah, and I found out how to read lower than 31C on the card . . . it turns out that it's just a BIOS mod. Can't wait to see what temps I'm getting on those cards. :mrgreen:

By the way, sorry for the book. . . . Man, I don't know how I always end up doing that. :rolleyes:

Edited by Revivalist

No, the book is good, since it is all good information!

Hopefully the 7800GT's in SLI will work out good for you.

One thing I am not sure of, is the video arpeture on my mboard. There is no setting that I have found that allows me to change it. I would assume it would be atleast 128 by default, most likely 256. What do you set your's at, if you are able to alter it? I'm always after a few more FPS. It just seems weird to me that my system would use 1.6GB of the pagefile, when I still have a whole GB of memory free.....

I would assume it would be atleast 128 by default, most likely 256. What do you set your's at, if you are able to alter it? I'm always after a few more FPS. It just seems weird to me that my system would use 1.6GB of the pagefile, when I still have a whole GB of memory free.....

That's a good point. I only noticed the aperature settings with my old AGP motherboard and card. Maybe PCI-E is setup differently. I don't know.

That's definitely weird that the system keeps moving data to the pagefile when you still have 1GB free. That practically defeats the purpose of running 2GB. I assume there's a way to deal with this, otherwise I don't know why so many people would make the move to 2GB. (Unless they don't even notice that it's not being used. :huh: ) . . .

I guess the first step is to try that experiment you mentioned. Turn off the page file, restart the system, open Task Manager and then run BF2 at the same time. Then switch out of the game and see if there's any difference under the performance tab.

Edited by Revivalist

i've been a little under the weather lately

but so far i'm runnin at 250mhz @ SPD 1:1 with the 2GB XTC ....................

.... the Heatspreader review didnt exactly compare heatspreaders IMO more which ram OC'd higher and they believed it to be the heatspreader ..... we all know some ram OC's better than others even of same exact models ............. i think a heatspreader review should have been just that a Heat spreader review ...... try each stick with different heatspreaders and see how each performs ........ personaly i dont care i'm runnin a memory cooler anyway .............. but so far i'm liking the OCZ XTC

i've been a little under the weather lately

but so far i'm runnin at 250mhz @ SPD 1:1 with the 2GB XTC ....................

.... the Heatspreader review didnt exactly compare heatspreaders IMO more which ram OC'd higher and they believed it to be the heatspreader ..... we all know some ram OC's better than others even of same exact models ............. i think a heatspreader review should have been just that a Heat spreader review ...... try each stick with different heatspreaders and see how each performs ........ personaly i dont care i'm runnin a memory cooler anyway .............. but so far i'm liking the OCZ XTC

Hey Flew, I hope you feel better soon bud. :)

I'm glad to hear you're liking the OCZ XTC. I just ordered mine today from monarch. I'm really hoping they can do 270MHz.

About the heatspreader review, I think they DID use one set of RAM to do all their tests. On some of the other pages of the review they show how they took the heatspreaders off of the different types of RAM to put it on the RAM they tested. . . . But there was only a difference of a couple MHz. And like you said, as long as you have good cooling on them, they'll do fine. . . . I'm going to run a 120mm right in front of them.

ahhh I see said the blind man ........ i only saw the one page :help:

this is what i'm using Super Talent Memory Cooler i suspect a 120mm fan may have a few more CFM's :lol:

Wow, that thing looks cool (mind the pun). . . Yeah, I decided to go with a traditional fan. It puts out 80cfm which is probably waaay more than the RAM needs, but that's ok. At least I know heat is definitately not limiting the overclock. In fact, it's always cool to the touch even after memtesing for hours with 3.0V. . . .

I really like these PC4800 sticks. I'll be sorry to part with them. Right now they're up to DDR690 memtest stable! :woot: . . . . But I'm looking forward to 2 GB. I was playing BF2 last night and it was so choppy that sometimes I literally couldn't even move. I was like a sitting duck half the time. :mrsgreen:

By the way, how's the 2GB kit running? Any updates?

i havent a chance to go past 250mhz yet but so far they're rock solid ......... cpu seems to max out between 2.65 and 2.7 stable so i'll have to drop the multi to push the ram any harder ................ i dont have any games on here so i dont see any advantage over the 2 X 256mb sticks that i had ...... i guess 512mb is still enuf to run windows effectively only showed about 90-120 mb in use ............... but so far seems good to go :beer: ......... keep us posted when you get yours goin

Edited by flewpastu